166 3.0L Possible Timing Belt issue? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 15-06-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

166 3.0L V6

166 3.0L Possible Timing Belt issue?

Hi Guys, not really sure if anyone can help me, I'd say you will just tell me to speak with Gerry of TI. My 166 has been basically not getting any use over the last 2-3 years, as I had a company car and now I mainly use the Luas.

There was a kind of squeak coming from the engine over the last 12-18 months, which changed depending on the rpm of the engine. Basically as the speed increased so did the squeak. This has gotten worse and it is now very audible and from a listen in the engine compartment seems to be emanating from the Timing Belt area.

The timing belt was done on the car before I bought it, but that is probably 5 years ago, although I have put up probably only 10-15K miles since then.

In short, am I going to have to do the timing belt to be on the safe side? And as a Long Term Alfa owner, I think I probably know the answer already :-(

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

County: Cork
Garage
No idea on the squeak issue but 5 years since a belt change regardless of mileage I'd get that booked in for a belt yesterday.
AO Silver Member

County: Dublin
..it's not necessarily the belt itself that gives up, but the tensioners/idlers etc and this can throw the belt. if you're doing the belt i think the advice is to do it properly and get all that stuff done too..

Alfa Romeo 166 Auxillary tensioner/idlers

maybe you're hearing a bearing or something about to give up..? i dunno, but i'd get it checked out alright..
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

166V6,SudQO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Is1ldur View Post
Hi Guys, not really sure if anyone can help me, I'd say you will just tell me to speak with Gerry of TI. My 166 has been basically not getting any use over the last 2-3 years, as I had a company car and now I mainly use the Luas.

There was a kind of squeak coming from the engine over the last 12-18 months, which changed depending on the rpm of the engine. Basically as the speed increased so did the squeak. This has gotten worse and it is now very audible and from a listen in the engine compartment seems to be emanating from the Timing Belt area.

The timing belt was done on the car before I bought it, but that is probably 5 years ago, although I have put up probably only 10-15K miles since then.

In short, am I going to have to do the timing belt to be on the safe side? And as a Long Term Alfa owner, I think I probably know the answer already :-(
Confirming what you already know....
propellorhead

sounds like a squeaky fan belt, but yeah do the timing belts!

AO Silver Member

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

better safe than sorry mate, I dont think Gerry will charge you just for having it checked so nothing to loose
AO Silver Member

County: Galway
could also be the water pump starting to fail.... honestly if you want to keep the car or whatever get the belts done cause in the current condition if you were to sell as is you would be looking at around 5-600e as the belts and everything else will be around that price.
AO Silver Member

County: Wicklow
changing the belts and getting a new waterpump with the metal impeller is a couple of hundred euros. Getting a new engine because the roller/tensioners seized or the waterpump failed due to a cracked impeller could be way over a thousand
(Post Link) post #9 of 9 Old 20-06-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

166 3.0L V6

Thanks guys. I will speak with Gerry about it. Can't really justify spending more money on this when it is a)not getting any real use and b) never gonna make any of the money back if I sell it.

It's looking like I'm just gonna have to let this go for very small money. I'm up for a swap with someone for a smaller engine!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
166 , 30l , belt , issue , timing

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page