Why do people go nuts when.. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

wiseguy

Why do people go nuts when..

you overtake??? I was running slightly late to catch the train this morning and was tipping along when I came up behind a Golf doing 70kmh (I may have had to slow down a little...)

Sat behind him/her until we came to a short overtaking stretch and I went for it. I did give it the full boot (in 2nd) so went past fairly lively and may have kept the foot in for longer than necessary but Golf driver went nuts! Horn blowing, lights flashing-the works. Manoeuvre wasn't dangerous, no oncoming traffic (it was 6am!), so no idea what the problem was (V6 envy maybe)

This type of behaviour seems to be getting more common - is overtaking now classified as criminal activity???

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Zoo
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Garage
might have been a copper on the way to work,
AO Silver Member

County: Cork
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy View Post

This type of behaviour seems to be getting more common - is overtaking now classified as criminal activity???

+1. Seen this too over the last 2 years.. Been in a position too where someone will accelerate while you're over taking. Not a nice thing to do imo.

There are a lot of angry people out there... I try my best to ignore them.
AO Silver Member

County: Wicklow

Member car:

Giulia TI

I seriously think people are of the opinion that if your car sounds the way ours do that you are driving dangerously. I got pulled by the filth recently for "dangerous" driving within the speed limit. I didn't get a ticket or anything but i wasn't driving dangerously at all. I was just giving it the beans in second gear. I explained this to them but it didn't get me anywhere. I still got scolded like a bold child.
AO Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

Volvo 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat_lezerby View Post
I seriously think people are of the opinion that if your car sounds the way ours do that you are driving dangerously. I got pulled by the filth recently for "dangerous" driving within the speed limit. I didn't get a ticket or anything but i wasn't driving dangerously at all. I was just giving it the beans in second gear. I explained this to them but it didn't get me anywhere. I still got scolded like a bold child.
Yea I got that from the gardai one night aswell, I was trying not to get annoyed when he called me a little pr!ck, nothing little about me

As for the overtaking, some people think its their duty to make people drive like old ladies, even happens on motorways, slow drivers in the outside lane that won't move in when I heur up behind them
AO Silver Member

AO Silver Member

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

dont get me started on this, the motorway fast/overtaking lane annoys me most, I now flash people sitting in any dual carraigeway overtaking lane who are not doing the limit. I have also noticed idiots going mental when overtaken they can be more of a danger than anything on the road. If Im in a 80 zone and some muppet is crawling along at 60 or 70 if safe I overtake them, simple as.
AO Silver Member

County: Louth

Member car:

33 16v

I get this a lot in the 33, but seldom in the leon. I thinks it to do with how quickly the car can gather speed. A quick turn of speed is mistaken for recklessness. The leon does not do acceleration very well so doesnt seem to evoke the same reaction.

On the subject of lane hogging/poor road manners, I was once coming back from the cinema in swords at about 1130 at night (in the 33). Came onto the m1 behind a bmw who had also been in the cinema. He bullied two people on the way out of the carpark and I ended up behind him on the sliproad. He proceeded to move into the outside lane and sit there at 60mph. I hate undertaking with a passion and moved out behind him (empty motorway), maybe 5/6 car lenghts between us but close enough for him to know I was there to make progress. I sat there for about 30-40 seconds before flashing him when he wouldnt move in. Que the big cloud of diesel smoke as he floored it.

No doubt he expected the lights to get smaller as he pulled away. They didnt and he got the idea quickly enough and moved over and seemed to drop back to 60ish

Now its not big, its not clever, and I usually dont bother with that nonsense but I do enjoy those rare moments when everything works properly and I get to show a clean pair of heels to people like that.
AO Silver Member

Flashing might be considered bullying (I know, I know), so I used to indicate to the right first if I catch up with somebody. This usually works on the continent (obviously indicating to the left there), but here people don't seem to be aware of what's happening around them on the road.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

33 16v

Quote:
Originally Posted by klapanciusz View Post
Flashing might be considered bullying
I totally agree with you but I find that people who just sit in the outside lane just arent aware of whats behind them. A single short flash reminds them that they should be checking their mirrors, even if they are in the "fast" lane.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

have been on the autobahn a few times and you will get flashed over there, also on the Italian autostrada. Its not hooliganism its as you said frank, people being where they shouldnt be, its also used to let cars ahead know a faster vehicle is approaching
AO Silver Member

I know. A few years ago I was driving the Focus home, and on the autobahn when I was overtaking trucks I spent more time checking my rear view mirror than the road ahead.

I also flash the lights (twice), if the driver doesn't notice me indicating to the right behind him/her, and it usually works. But sometimes it doesn't matter what I do, the Avensis diver simply doesn't move (or get over 98 km/h).
AO Silver Member

County: Galway
these kind of people tick me right off! they end up forcing you to do something illegal just to get passed them and the they **** their pants with anger when you finally get around!
Few months after i bought the Alfa i was driving into Galway, was on the dual carriageway near Ballybrit if anyone knows it, ****** comes flying out onto the roundabout narrowly missing me and then stays in front of me on the carriageway. Now, My patience is pretty thin when im cut off or in traffic for long and thats my fault but this mofo deserved it, so i stayed behind came closer to him, beep the living **** out of him, flashed liked crazy etc.wouldnt move, so i undertook him but he decided to accelerate. oh no no my friend you see you have a 1.6 corolla where as i have a 2.4 turbo diesel, lets see who wins. guess who wins and im now in front so i decided to **** him off by slowing down aswell. waited for the next roundabout where i decide its time to have a word, ive never seen someone drive away so quickly. What i did was stupid, but not near as stupid as him. Dont do this often actually quite rare.
Fluffyduff im curious, what engine is in the 33 if you kept up to a BMW turbo diesel?
AO Silver Member

Member car:

33 16v

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear1 View Post
Fluffyduff im curious, what engine is in the 33 if you kept up to a BMW turbo diesel?

The badge on the back says its a 1.3

Ill give you a look round it some time
AO Silver Member

boxer right? so they have about 90bhp? may be wrong though... I love the 33 especially the version you have which is from the mid 90s by the look of it? the ones from the 80s i dont like, very bland looking. Saw a good few for sale on Italian websites for cheap including a sportswagen with AC etc..
Wouldnt mind a look around it
AO Silver Member

Member car:

33 16v

Correct and right, you know your engines. Ive dyno'd at 141 though Its putting out the same as a 2l twinspark on the good days. About the same as a 1cylinder diesel on a bad day though
AO Silver Member

ehh i get by. Im more the JTD type with the knowledge jebus 141bhp! you must have done some mods to the engine
Quote:
1cylinder diesel on a bad day though
AO Silver Member

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

well bear its nothing a few dellortos wouldnt sort........ right Frank
AO Silver Member

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
nuts , people

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page