166 remote chewing batteries - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 23-05-11 Thread Starter
jrm
AO Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

166 2.5

166 remote chewing batteries

Hey, I've a problem with my remote control unit in that it's going through a battery every few weeks. Any ideas/suggestions please? Many thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Kildare

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

I'd say new remote would be the most simple answer, the mechanism may just be keeping the button depressed and waring out the batter, that would be my guess anyway.
mo4
AO Member

County: -
I think there should be two batteries in it. I'm sure there was in my one for the 166.
The keys probably vary from year to year though.... still worth checking.
(Post Link) post #4 of 9 Old 24-05-11 Thread Starter
jrm
AO Member

Member car:

166 2.5

Thanks guys for the reply. Just a couple of thoughts on these. Replacing the remote is, I understand, quite costly and on the point of the remote maybe needing two batteries the manual says only one - a 2032.
Thanks anyway.
mo4
AO Member

OK curosity got the better of me. I opened up the 166 key and there is two batteries in mine.
That's the older red key though, the black ones are different.
There's a place out near the long mile road that made a key and matched it with the car for 90 for a friend of mine, I'll find out their name ......
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 2.0 JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm View Post
Thanks guys for the reply. Just a couple of thoughts on these. Replacing the remote is, I understand, quite costly and on the point of the remote maybe needing two batteries the manual says only one - a 2032.
Thanks anyway.
If it's a 2032 battery, then it's a black fob, with only 1 battery. I've 2 fobs on my 156, and only 1 is working good. The other one seems that it's button is in bits and same as you, it just eats the battery, because the button tends to stick in one position and leaving the led on the fob on all night, which drains the battery. There is someone here named "Chris", who I know repairs the fobs, but he's in the UK. Try and give him a PM, maybe he'll point you in the right direction.

(Post Link) post #7 of 9 Old 25-05-11 Thread Starter
jrm
AO Member

Member car:

166 2.5

mo4.
Thanks for your help. My remote is, indeed, also a red one (for a '01 166). If I was to pop in two equivalent batteries, either 2025 or, I think, 2016, which are also 3v like the 2032 but thinner, wouldn't I be doubling the current to 6v? Surely this'd damage the unit? Incidentally, this problem has only occured since about three months ago when, given that I'd never previously changed the battery in the six years I have the car and the little light on the dashboard began to stay lighted which is (according to the manual) the telltale sign that the battery is dying, I though nothing on simply replacing the battery with a like-for-like. However, since then I've gone through three brand new ones. BTW, the remote's led doesn't light up except when I'm operating it. Thanks for your help.
mo4
AO Member

There are two CR2016 in mine and they fit and clip perfectly inotthe battery holder area.
You must have a problem with the key though, like a loose solder inside or a short to e draining the batteries.

Mine is the middle one in this pic
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=220775867635
(Post Link) post #9 of 9 Old 26-05-11 Thread Starter
jrm
AO Member

Member car:

166 2.5

mo4 Thanks for the photo - that explains a lot as mine is a different unit to yours! Although I'm still none the wiser, unfortunately.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
166 , batteries , chewing , remote

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page