parts prices - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

propellorhead

parts prices

Areet lads,

was in the motor factors today for oil and wiper blades (already had oil filter!). Now the 156 needs a thermostat, I did'nt get round to it yet with the move and stuff so I thought I'll do it with the oil/filter change this afternoon.

I was thinking about 30-40 quid for a 'stat and the guy behind the counter says "that cant be right, its 200euro" he said leave it with him. so I did. Am I missing somthing here or have they started making stats out of ****** platinum?? Its not a complex or expensive thing to make.

Any thoughts?

Its for an 8v 1.9jtd btw

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Kildare

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by propellorhead View Post
Areet lads,

was in the motor factors today for oil and wiper blades (already had oil filter!). Now the 156 needs a thermostat, I did'nt get round to it yet with the move and stuff so I thought I'll do it with the oil/filter change this afternoon.

I was thinking about 30-40 quid for a 'stat and the guy behind the counter says "that cant be right, its 200euro" he said leave it with him. so I did. Am I missing somthing here or have they started making stats out of ****** platinum?? Its not a complex or expensive thing to make.

Any thoughts?

Its for an 8v 1.9jtd btw
Not sure about that engine but I know Gerry in TI Auto's quoted me €100 fitted for mine, might be different with your engine though.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
They're not cheap, about £70+VAT in the UK I think.
AO Member

County: Cork

Member car:

156Ti 1.8

I paid €80 inc VAT in Grandons a couple of months ago. I got a quote of around €200 from the motor factors too.

Garage
I think it's always worth giving the Dealers a call for a price on parts, they aren't always more expensive than motorfactors or the websites especially when you take postage/delivery into consideration.
AO Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

Volvo 440

propellorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy1982 View Post
Nice one Paddy, I found this one on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ALFA-ROMEO-156...item439fef7f31

Coming in about the same price, I still think I can get it cheaper with a bit more googling. I think I'm gonna go the whole hog and do the wheel bearings and t.belt too at least it'll be sorted then for a couple of years. A guy at work knows a lad and all that, I will find the best price

AO Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

Volvo 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by propellorhead View Post
Nice one Paddy, I found this one on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ALFA-ROMEO-156...item439fef7f31

Coming in about the same price, I still think I can get it cheaper with a bit more googling. I think I'm gonna go the whole hog and do the wheel bearings and t.belt too at least it'll be sorted then for a couple of years. A guy at work knows a lad and all that, I will find the best price
No worries, i got cv boots from them, I ordered them on the Monday, they arrived in the post on Thursday, at least the Germans are better at logistics than they are with cars.
AO Member

Member car:

There are a few different thermostats listed for the 156D, depending on engine (CF2/CF3 etc) retail from Dealer from 40 to 90 Euro plus VAT. Although some Dealers will give a decent discount to members here.
propellorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarlb View Post
Although some Dealers will give a decent discount to members here.
I never even thought of that, worth keeping in mind. nice one

AO Gold Member

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarlb View Post
There are a few different thermostats listed for the 156D, depending on engine (CF2/CF3 etc) retail from Dealer from 40 to 90 Euro plus VAT. Although some Dealers will give a decent discount to members here.
Which dealers give discounts to members on here?

Garage
None officially as AFAIK no Irish Dealers are authorised to advertise on AO but I think Kmacb swarlb might to anyone who doesn't label all Dealers as rip off merchants
AO Silver Member

County: Galway
hold on a second though... you said your one is the 8v? so pre 2001? basically that would be the 105bhp one. Those stats are different as you can see with the 2.4 they only show the 136bhp one so they are pre 2001. your model if its 2001-2004 i think is a newer type engine with the 110-115 or 150bhp engine. what year is it? Cause i made the same mistake when i first got the 2.4, i ordered the thermostat and it turned out to be for the 136bhp and even though there is only 4bhp in the difference but the stat is different, just like the turbo and the turbo hoses...
So be careful... hope this helps

oh and just in case it is the 8v pre 2001, then you have a pretty rare 156. As those werent sold in the UK and IRL. Ive got one 8v 156 jtd with the 105bhp engine, pretty rock solid and i got it from Italy... so it has the Euro spec and is Veloce
propellorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear1 View Post
hold on a second though... you said your one is the 8v? so pre 2001? basically that would be the 105bhp one. Those stats are different as you can see with the 2.4 they only show the 136bhp one so they are pre 2001. your model if its 2001-2004 i think is a newer type engine with the 110-115 or 150bhp engine. what year is it? Cause i made the same mistake when i first got the 2.4, i ordered the thermostat and it turned out to be for the 136bhp and even though there is only 4bhp in the difference but the stat is different, just like the turbo and the turbo hoses...

oh and just in case it is the 8v pre 2001, then you have a pretty rare 156. As those werent sold in the UK and IRL. Ive got one 8v 156 jtd with the 105bhp engine, pretty rock solid and i got it from Italy... so it has the Euro spec and is Veloce
My bad bear, I must have a 16v one so. Its a'03 I was just going off a thread on here must have got my wires crossed.

Thanks for the tip

AO Silver Member

thats a 115bhp one then had the water pump done recently? along with belts and tensioners?

out of curiosity is yours blue?
propellorhead

Quote:
thats a 115bhp one then had the water pump done recently? along with belts and tensioners?

out of curiosity is yours blue?
No, mines proteo red. And no the water pump aint done tensioners are getting a bit squeaky on startup too so the belts will be getting done sharpish too

Its my first diesel and I have to say I love it!

AO Silver Member

NICE! jeez get that asap... they are known for failure on the 16/20v engines. mine are fairly squesky aswell, sounds terrible and the pump is on its way out - to be fair it has done 20k more than it was supposed too had completely forgotten about it..
yeah the diesels are very addictive, the power delivery is something that just makes me smile in the 2.4 2nd has to be the best gear of the lot of them!
AO Member

County: Tipperary
I had to get a stat for my super a few weeks ago so rang around. Tractamotors were charging me nearly €150 and said I had to get it complete. Another dealership in Dublin tried to convince me I was driving a diesel, despite that the fact that the diesel version 166 was never sold in Ireland or made in right-hand drive. Eventually got it from the Sweep in Kilmeaden for just under €50. I find the few Alfa dealers that are left don't know or don't want to know anything about the last generation of REAL Alfa's. Full marks to the Sweep though.
AO Member

Member car:

Quote:

A chassis number will confirm the correct spec of the car, I can check if you wish.
AO Silver Member

good idea, even checkin on EPER could sort it out... but as its the 03 model with the FL interior then i guess its the 115bhp mode.
Damien_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS Eddie View Post
I had to get a stat for my super a few weeks ago so rang around. Tractamotors were charging me nearly €150 and said I had to get it complete. Another dealership in Dublin tried to convince me I was driving a diesel, despite that the fact that the diesel version 166 was never sold in Ireland or made in right-hand drive. Eventually got it from the Sweep in Kilmeaden for just under €50. I find the few Alfa dealers that are left don't know or don't want to know anything about the last generation of REAL Alfa's. Full marks to the Sweep though.
The Sweep serviced your Super. I would be going to them all the time if I was you. Eamonn and Johnny are the men down that way when it comes to Alfa's

AO Silver Member

Damian is right... and that Eamonn is some act all together... hes unbelievable when it comes to solving problems, but the lads in the Sweep are fantastic. Had a few good experiences with them for any other newbie who needs some advice on where to go...
When i first got the Alfa (i hadnt a clue about them at all just that it look fookin sexy) but she was awfully slow for a 2.4 as i had just upgraded from a diesel Avensis. I remember the missus Punto could outrun it so i wasnt happy. quick drive from Tramore to the Sweep and the lad told me to go to Eamonn, come to think of it there was a black 166 v6 parked outside, anyone on here? Eamonn hops in, plugs in the dyno and go for a spin. Now on the way he makes me go towards Cork and the reasoning was perfect, he wanted to pick up his lunch from his house gets his luch gets back in the car and just says open the bonnet, so i do, unplugs (what i now know to be the maf) and says now ****ing floor it! we raced back to the garage, tells me to order it and they will put it as its cheaper for me and then didnt charge me for the test or anything. absolutely fantastic.
Another occasion was that i needed a tensioner for the fanbelt as it was constantly being ripped to bits. went to the Sweep and they had only one for the 2.4 that no one ever wanted, basically junk for them. I went and asked how much and the lad said 202e approx, i was fairly annoyed at the price of it but didnt show it, gave the credit card and he just said "ah eff it you can have it with a 50% discount!"
So to anyone in doubt as to which garage and Waterford is within driving range then take it to those lads and you will honestly leave happy

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
parts , prices

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page