Thinking of Selling the 156 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 29 Old 05-05-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Donegal

Member car:

GT Blackline

Thinking of Selling the 156

Right lads, looking for a bit of help here, im giving serious thought to selling the 156 at the minute, problem is i have'nt a clue what its worth!

Its a 01 2.4 JTD in black with red leather on 157000k

Now i'll start with the bad points as it failed the NCT the other day though i may fix these items before i sell.

Rear brake pad worn (and I suspect due a sticking caliper)
Drivers swing arm (lower arm???)
Needs a new inner cv boot

The other main issue with the car is that the clutch has started slipping

Now on to the good points:

Koni FSD suspension
Interior is in very good cond bar a small bit of wear on drivers seat
Upper arms, anti roll bar bushes and droplinks replaced within the last 6 months along with the timing belt.

Its got 17'' GTA Telidias fitted at the moment but i'll probably sell these seperatly, so it will go with the standard 16'' teles with new tires

Think thats everything, had a look through done deal and that but prices seem to be all over the shop

Few pics of the car

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/g...s/DSCF7397.jpg

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/g...s/DSCF7400.jpg

Have some of the interior that ill add when i get home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Cork
That's a clean looking car!

Well I sold my one (http://www.alfa156.org/) two months ago for 1200.
It was a Red 2.0TS with ~135000 miles. It had only a cloth interior....

Your car is younger, better looking, has leather and is a diesel so I'd imagine you should get a few quid more... hope that's helps you a bit. This is just a guess, but you should be looking for 2000 to 2600? If you could get the NCT sorted she would sell quicker imo. I'm sure others here would advice a bit better......

Have to say, that's one good looking car... best of luck with your sale.

Cheers,
Cathal
(Post Link) post #3 of 29 Old 05-05-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GT Blackline

Thanks, if i got around that for it id be happpy enough.
Your probably right about putting it throught the NCT, would probably help get it shifted.
To be fair i think those picture flatter it a bit, it does have the odd parking ding but nothing too bad
AO Silver Member

County: Wicklow

Member car:

Giulia TI

Would you consider trading the wheels for my multispokes and a few bob? You would get cash and the car would still look smooth when you are selling it.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulia TI

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherb View Post
That's a clean looking car!

Well I sold my one (http://www.alfa156.org/) two months ago for 1200.
It was a Red 2.0TS with ~135000 miles. It had only a cloth interior....

Your car is younger, better looking, has leather and is a diesel so I'd imagine you should get a few quid more... hope that's helps you a bit. This is just a guess, but you should be looking for 2000 to 2600? If you could get the NCT sorted she would sell quicker imo. I'm sure others here would advice a bit better......

Have to say, that's one good looking car... best of luck with your sale.

Cheers,
Cathal
I don;t think you would get that type of money with a slipping clutch and the mileage. Unfortunately most people don;t value the FSD suspension or GTA wheelsand you won't get your money back.
(Post Link) post #6 of 29 Old 05-05-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GT Blackline

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat_lezerby View Post
I don;t think you would get that type of money with a slipping clutch and the mileage. Unfortunately most people don;t value the FSD suspension or GTA wheelsand you won't get your money back.
Yeah the clutch is the deal breaker really, in fairness if it was'nt slipping id probably hang onto it for another while.

Its probably also worth mentioning that the tax is up in june.

Thanks for the offer bat i'll have a think about, but i'll probably just try and get rid of the wheels by themselves

Last edited by manails; 05-05-11 at 17:05.
AO Silver Member

County: Cork
Quote:
I don;t think you would get that type of money with a slipping clutch and .............
of course yes the slipping clutch will be a deal breaker alright.......

Alfa Romeo 156 Clutches
not the most expensive parts wise... do you know someone handy enough to sort you out?
(Post Link) post #8 of 29 Old 05-05-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GT Blackline

Yeah have a guy that could do it and probably would'nt be that hard to pay either.

I know doing the jobs would make it easier to shift, but i recently bought an mx5 and tbh would rather spend the money on upgrading that.
I think if i did do all the jobs i would'nt want to sell it, but even then i hardly drive the alfa these days due to a change in job so still does'nt really make sence to hold onto it, especiaslly with the road tax!
AO Silver Member

County: Galway
yeah the clutch job in a 2.4 is a pig of a job... mine was replaced in January so paid and over and done with. Thing is with the clutch on the 2.4 is that once it starts slipping there is a good chance the DMF will follow suit. and that is the most expensive part. The labour - not sure in Donegal how much it would be - but in Galway I paid 400e just for labour and the parts were another 500e so tbh it really is going to affect the price of the car. I know there is a 2001 jtd on donedeal silver i think it is, dirty as hell but he wants 1200e for it although no mention of the clutch.
Just trying to help you estimate what more or less the car is worth. I would say that without the clutch job (and possible DMF) and the other NCT bits you would be lucky to get 1k for it especially with no NCT and tax running out soon. Maybe worthwhile to hold onto it and sell it later on? once the niggles are sorted?
(Post Link) post #10 of 29 Old 05-05-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GT Blackline

Yeah suppose i should at least get the NCT on it and take it from there.
€500 seems alot for parts, how much was the DMF if you dont mind me asking?
AO Silver Member

i ordered it from abroad as the dealer wanted damn near 330e so i bought it from Poland and paid 200e with delivery, then the clutch i ordered from the UK and that was 250e approx then i did an oil change aswell so that was another 50e there abouts. It might be quite difficult getting the DMF in Ireland without going through the dealer, and i wouldnt get a second hand one as you will probably end up changing it in a few weeks or months anyway. Theres a simple test you could do just to see if the DMF is starting to play up, start the car up, put it in neutral and then gently accelerate to around 2000rpms, at around 1800rpms i think it was you will feel the car slightly judder or vibrate, if it does then a new DMF is needed. hope this helps
(Post Link) post #12 of 29 Old 05-05-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GT Blackline

Cheers, will check that out tomorrow
If i thought i could get away without doing the dmf id probably be more inclined to get the clutch done, it is a bit of a risk though!
AO Silver Member

well.... it depends how smart the person is that is buying it off you. and it also depends on how your conscience is sods law really. the best way to be completely free from it is probably to just sell the car as it is and change the price accordingly. if it 600e to the job then just take 600e off it. good luck with it
(Post Link) post #14 of 29 Old 05-05-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GT Blackline

Ha, unfortunatly for me my concience is good, so looks like i'll either be spending money or selling cheap!!
propellorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear1 View Post
Theres a simple test you could do just to see if the DMF is starting to play up, start the car up, put it in neutral and then gently accelerate to around 2000rpms, at around 1800rpms i think it was you will feel the car slightly judder or vibrate, if it does then a new DMF is needed. hope this helps
Its nuggets of info like that that remind me why I love this site, I have another question... would the 2.4 lump bolt onto the 1.9 gearbox? and could I use the 1.9 clutch assy on the 2.4 engine?

You can probably gues what I'm thinking!

AO Silver Member

Quote:
Its nuggets of info like that that remind me why I love this site
glad to be of service

im guessing what you are thinking dont hold me to this but the thing is the 2.4 is 5 cylinder whereas your 1.9 is 4. so im assuming that the 2.4 gearbox may be a bit wider.. but something tells me no... I dont think it would be that easy to put the 5 cylinder in instead of the 4 cylinder as the wirings may be different (again im not 100% on this) the ECU would need to be changed or remapped as it would still think the engine has 115bhp where as you would have 20-30bhp more.
The clutch would be a straight swap... Maybe someone smarter will be be along and advise you on the possible engine conversion. Its not impossible just time consuming, but the fact that yours is diesel already means it is possible, if it was petrol then forget about it.

EDIT: oh and the DMF is a straight swap aswell
propellorhead

I'll put that in the the 'twin turbos on a boxer' file then! nice in theory but not really practical. I did'nt even realise the 2.4 was a 5 pot

Good luck with the sale btw dude!

AO Silver Member

lovely sounding engine once everything is done is fixed sounds like a v8 diesel

I hear what you are saying about the twin turbo idea... I was really tempted to do that to the 156, i was imagining what a 2.4 twin turbo diesel 156 would be like, then after some research and advice from here it turned out it would be near impossible due to the lack of space so ive got a hybrid turbo on the cards
AO Silver Member

and the 1.9 would be easier on juice, i currently get about 43mpg if driven normally, its ok for me though considering the engine size! If you are looking for 2.4 performance but dont want to spend near much money then a simple remap would be in order oh and did you know that the 5 pot 156 has more torque than the v6
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulia TI

43MPG!? What i wouldn't give for 43 MPG!
propellorhead

Quote:
43MPG!? What i wouldn't give for 43 MPG!
and more torque than a v6 you bought the wrong car dude

only messin bat I'd give my left nut for a v6....

Last edited by propellorhead; 05-05-11 at 22:04. Reason: didnt wish to offend

AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulia TI

I sometimes think i have........... then i hit the warp speed button and cop on.
AO Silver Member

i have never driven a v6 but when it comes to fuel etc it would scare me off but that noise would make it all worth while! but for anyone who hasnt driven the 5 pot, you need to hear the noise it makes when you floor it! doesnt sound like a diesel then i tell ya! whenever i get off my lazy *** ill try to come to one of the meets and ye can take it for a spin and you will know what i mean then still though Bat i think the v6 has a top speed of 155mph right? the 5 pot states 131 on the book but in Germany ive taken it to 143mph and that was all it had to give, still not bad for a 10 year old car
(Post Link) post #24 of 29 Old 05-05-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GT Blackline

Yeah the noise is something else for a diesel, one good thing about the clutch slipping is it gives me a good excuse to drop down a gear and listen to the noise!!
AO Silver Member

may as well if the clutch is slipping anyway how about sell the mx5 and keep the jtd which is not very popular here...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
156 , selling , thinking

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page