Leaking Gearbox & Driveshaft oil seal. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 13 Old 21-04-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 156

Leaking Gearbox & Driveshaft oil seal.

Car has had a leak between the gearbox and engine for a while now, i guess 20k (since clutch was done), but its not serious. Topped up gearbox oil recently and it hadnt lost too much.

However I had a garage do the lower wishbones and it looks like they damaged the PS driveshaft seal and its leaking a bit quicker on that side.

Probably time to get both sorted. Will be calling on the services of Gerry in Ti Autos I hope for the first time.

Any idea what this is likely to cost? €200? €400? €62.57? One leak was manageable, but two is taking the biscuit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Wicklow

Member car:

Giulia TI

Give him a call man. He's always fairly forthcoming with estimates over the phone.
mo4
AO Member

County: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by jf_cole View Post
Car has had a leak between the gearbox and engine for a while now, i guess 20k (since clutch was done), but its not serious. Topped up gearbox oil recently and it hadnt lost too much.
That'll be because you are most likely leaking engine oil, not gearbox oil, from the crank shaft end seal.
You should be able to tell by the smell of it what it is.
If it is then the gearbox has to come out to replace it. I had to do it on the 155.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jf_cole View Post
However I had a garage do the lower wishbones and it looks like they damaged the PS driveshaft seal and its leaking a bit quicker on that side.
If you mean he CV boot then it only holds the cv grease in, not the gearbox oil.
If the all the grease leaks out and grit gets in then the Cv will eventually fail.
If it is the CV boot and the garage have damaged or pinched it then be sure to get them to replace it for you FOC.
AO Silver Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

mate get the garage to sort what they broke because they will be paying for it then bring it into Gerry
(Post Link) post #5 of 13 Old 23-04-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 156

Cant go back to the garage, v long story.

Defo gearbox oil frm dshaft and gearbox/ engine connection. V distinct smell of gearbox oil.
mo4
AO Member

If it's leaking gearbox oil from the engine gearbox join then that is coming from the main input shaft seal in the gearbox. Quite unusual AFAIK and it suggests wear in the input bearing imo.
Leaking oil frrom the halfshaft too (unless its just CV boot grease) suggests a seperate problem.

.... unless the gearbox was overfilled with oil? - this can put pressure on the seals and cause leaks.
From your description, and the fact that there is enough oil to see leaking from two places, and yet there is none missing from the box, can only mean it was overfilled.
(Post Link) post #7 of 13 Old 25-04-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 156

Came home from 4 days away to see a large pool of oil under ps driveshaft. Gearbox oil. Gotta ring TI autos in the morning and get it booked
mo4
AO Member

If it's leaking out from two points when not being driven then it'll definitely needs a couple of seals.
Get it in to Gerry and he'll know what's happening and why they suddenly started leaking.
AO Member

County: Kildare

Member car:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo4 View Post
That'll be because you are most likely leaking engine oil, not gearbox oil, from the crank shaft end seal.
You should be able to tell by the smell of it what it is.
If it is then the gearbox has to come out to replace it. I had to do it on the 155.

If you mean he CV boot then it only holds the cv grease in, not the gearbox oil.
If the all the grease leaks out and grit gets in then the Cv will eventually fail.
If it is the CV boot and the garage have damaged or pinched it then be sure to get them to replace it for you FOC.
(Post Link) post #10 of 13 Old 26-04-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 156

Booked her in for Friday morning. Hopefully will be sorted out quick enough.
mo4
AO Member

Best of luck, let us know how it goes......
(Post Link) post #12 of 13 Old 03-05-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 156

Twas the DS oil seal causing the major leak. TI Autos changed this and topped up the oil. All done.

They spotted the other leak, but reckoned it wasnt serious or worth spending money pulling the gearbox out to investigate it.
Damien_C

Glad Gerry sorted ya out. He is a gent. I bought my Alfa off him it's like new inside and a properly clean one underneath.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
driveshaft , gearbox , leaking , oil , seal

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page