What petrol do you use? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 21 Old 26-03-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Limerick

Member car:

159 1.8 Turismo

What petrol do you use?

Howdy all.
Filled my 159 recently with 95 octane from an Amber garage just out the outskirts of Limerick and its safe to say my car feels like a slug on it..I remember putting Shell V-Power in my 147 twinny and it loved it, ran much sweeter and got better mileage. What do you guys use and is there any equivalent to Shell V-Power being sold in Ireland anymore?

Pete.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

I use the cheapest seriously though I generally stick to Esso, Texaco or Apple Green. I know Maxol were doing a 95 octane something or other but dont think they do it anymore although I could be wrong
AO Member

County: Herefordshire
I only ever put hi octane in mine, if the station had it!

I've found a definate improvement on running and economy, even with the extra price!
mo4
AO Member

County: -
AFAIK it's only the E85 that Maxol have stopped doing.
Their regular unleaded is still the highest octane petrol in Ireland - I get it when I can, but tbh in a non-turbo car it's not going to make much difference.
Damien_C

I'd have to disagree with ya Mo4 on the cars not being any really noticably better on higher octane juice. They honestly do better on 98+ I drove over to england in the 1.4 and the car would pull better on higher revs and crisper throtle response and it even idled better it was always a bit bad on idle.

But ya your right Maxol should have E5 fuel at the moment at the pumps which is supposedly 98 octane but you never know really what the deal is.

County: Cork
Garage
Just ordinary petrol from the local Topaz here which does a lot of business so I know it's always fresh & clean, no real choice of anything else locally & probably no real point even if there was.

A few interesting comments below :

Quote:
Remember, higher octane fuel has a lower energy value, so your mpg will be very slightly lower.

Octane is a retardant - it slows the burning of the fuel, allowing the engine to operate at higher temperatures without those temperatures causing the fuel vapour to self-ignite. Other additives are used to get the same effect in modern fuels, which is why you can have RON numbers greater than 100%. E5 unleaded (5% etnanol) is something like 103 RON, for instance.

Basically, if you have a heavy right foot, you might find 98 or 100 RON better. If you don't, stick to regular and save some cash.
Quote:
I would confirm there's no use spending more, at least not because it's higher octane, as unless the engine is designed for higher pressure / tempereratures it's not going to benefit from higher octane fuel. It may be that these premium fuels have some additives that prolong engine / sparkplug or whatever lives, but apart from that (and perhaps loyalty points collection) it's not worth the extra price. And certainly it shouldn't give more HP or milage that some folks seem to observe. I guess it may be a placebo effect.
AO Silver Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Shell V power.... I even have all of the toy ferraris to prove it!
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 2.0 JTDm

Texaco or Esso, closest petrol stations to me
AO Gold Member

County: Brokopondo
To go off on a tangent!? I never really get this high octane and only buying the premium petrol thing, what i have found improves my cars performance and overall economy is that i started cleaning my spark plugs once a fortnight, after the 2nd go it became a Saturday routine when i checked my fluids below the bonnet. I drive quite regularly a P1 2.0TS Spider and the only pain is the removal of the alloy top before i can get at the plugs but! i now have it down to a 15min job and i just grab the tools i know i will need. Once you get the routine its like topping with oil as i can check plug wells for oil and clean and as plugs fire this precious fuel that we argue over! So if you have an efficient spark you will have efficient running, is my thinking!

Anyways! my point is that i reckon you should clean your spark plugs regularly and go for the 95 Oct, you would be amazed at the build up on plugs over a couple of weeks spirited driving.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_C View Post
But ya your right Maxol should have E5 fuel at the moment at the pumps which is supposedly 98 octane but you never know really what the deal is.
from what i remember hearing all the Statoil/Topaz stations are running E5 fuel too now. they dont say that but they do say that they are now part of the RED (Renewable Energy Directive) scheme which means that they have to have something like a min or 30% of all fuel sold as renewable. ie. BioFuel or ethanol (E5 / E85)
and i think it actualy mentions something about it on the pumps when you go in.

Topaz | Environment and Energy Management News

now the things is that Topaz currently also supply Tesco's with their fuel, or at least do in Dublin. which should mean that they are also running on the BioFuel.

interesting ??

personal i just use what ever is closest to me when im about to die on the road.
LOL usualy Maxol or Topaz
AO Member

County: Kildare

Member car:

166 2.0 TS

Is there any chance to get 98 octane in Dublin ??
AO Member

al Fuels sold now are 95+ as afaik

Petrol - Topaz

but defo. Maxol's E5 and i would say Topaz unleaded aswell.
AO Gold Member

Not sure whether you'd get much out of that 1.8 GM engine anyway, as it is really a very basic lump taken literally straight from a Vauxhall/Opel Astra (there was no Alfa Romeo input on this engine at all).

Certainly you're not going to get anything out of some of the extremely basic fuel stations in the Republic. I once had the misfortune to use one of these outlets on my way to Youghal from Kilkenny. My 156 nearly died.
(Post Link) post #14 of 21 Old 26-03-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Limerick

Member car:

159 1.8 Turismo

Well even if I do have a basic GM lump in my 159 it still is running sluggish since I put Amber 95 octane in it. By the way spider95 the only time I got dirty petrol was in the UK when I drove from Holyhead to Bath...you have fairly basic garages in the UK too.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

Eaurouge do you use any specific cleaner or just a cloth? twice a year I put 250ml of parafin into a full tank and run it through is its a very good cleaning agent, especially for the injection system althoug I dont know if it gets far enough to clean the sparks
AO Gold Member

County: Brokopondo
I just use a solvent on a cloth and occasionally a thin file, what i find is that i used to do the regular weekly top-ups of oil and i was amazed at the size of the pool of oil and the effect it was having on leads and plugs. I have noticed an improvent in the cars overall performance and economy, but! by the improvement in performance means i drive faster and therefore have roughly the same economy and the car always feels much more lively to me after a clean. Don't worry about gapping the plugs just get them cleaned and the oil out off the wells and i reckon it will become part of your tinkering routine.

Last edited by EauRouge; 26-03-11 at 22:45.
AO Member

County: Tipperary
My twin spark only ever had engine issues twice, although these are not really issues. The first time was after filling up with Amber petrol, drove about 50 miles to work, came out later that day, started the car and for at least 1 minute continued to idle so rough I thought i was in trouble. Then it suddenly revved to the limit all by itself as if to clear itself, and then back to rough idle. Once i refilled with petrol, never had that issue again. As a rule I avoid Amber. The second time I used a cleaner in the petrol, two days later the crank shaft sensor said goodbye, not sure if related but I never touch fuel cleaners either!
Damien_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS Eddie View Post
My twin spark only ever had engine issues twice, although these are not really issues. The first time was after filling up with Amber petrol, drove about 50 miles to work, came out later that day, started the car and for at least 1 minute continued to idle so rough I thought i was in trouble. Then it suddenly revved to the limit all by itself as if to clear itself, and then back to rough idle. Once i refilled with petrol, never had that issue again. As a rule I avoid Amber. The second time I used a cleaner in the petrol, two days later the crank shaft sensor said goodbye, not sure if related but I never touch fuel cleaners either!
Same as you man I wouldn't be bothered with cleaners. Like engine flushes all I have ever heard from them is bad news.

AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

166V6,SudQO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS Eddie View Post
Thanks Eddie - mine idles erratically at times - might be Amber petrol although its been mainly Apple Green lately. Are they kosher?
AO Silver Member

..i usually use maxol, but that's just cos it's handy for me. i'm not sure i can notice much difference.

in fairness though, the day we dyno'd the cars i think i topped up in the local topaz on the way (also E5), and she turned in a figure of 223.5bhp. That was a good result, especially considering that at 80k miles she was on her original spark plugs, and i still haven't changed the air filter...
AO Silver Member

County: Wicklow
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick164 View Post
at 80k miles ... haven't changed the air filter...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
petrol

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page