What got you hooked on Alfa Romeos? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 58 Old 25-03-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

'05 350z

What got you hooked on Alfa Romeos?

Hi lads,

Maybe this has been answered before or even discussed at the meets but since i'm still pretty much a newbie I'm interested to know what first got your interest in Alfas?

I was always interested in cars since I was a kid. But I guess my main interest in Alfas started when I was 4 or 5 years old. My dad had a red sud 1.5ti around that time. I used to wait for him down at the end in the evenings waiting for him to come from work, just so I could go for a spin in it he would pick me up and drive me home (not even 100 metres ) All the kids in the neighbourhood thought the car was the coolest going!

My older sister then started a new job in 1998, and as part of her perks she picked up a 98 156 2.0 Sportivo for a company car (red exterior, black leather interior) It was unreal!!! The noise off the 2 litre was class! I got to drive it a bit around sunday carparks, as I wasn't even old enough to have my license at that stage.

My dad went off alfas for a few years since the Sud, he had 2 toyotas (yawn) and then eventually saw a maroon coloured 159 1.9 for sale in limerick. He bought it I was allowed drive it a few times and I seriously liked the car. He still has it, so hopefully will get him to come to one of the meets in the future.

I thought it was my time to own an Alfa, and after months of searching ended up with a nice GT I'm hooked.

So tell me, what is your story?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
it was an itch I had to scratch since school really, first Alfa's I really had exposure to were the GTV and 145 and I nearly bought a 145 Cloverleaf new but couldn't push to the then 15K price tag, I ended up with a ex demo Saxo VTR instead (P reg).

Years later I was looking around for a 156 and realised 147s were in my price range so bought a 2002 1.6 Twinny in Nero Fuoco, loved that car, did some mods and moved on a couple of years later to my current Alfa which has been in the garage for the past month but I get it back tomorrow and I CANNOT WAIT

Nero Fuoco 147 Lusso - Bianco Nuvola 147 GTA - Carbonio Brera SV - Azzurro Le Mans GT 1600 Junior
AO Silver Member

County: Merseyside

Member car:

various Alfas

Aaaaaa,the power?100bhp from 1300cc
The five speed gearbox?
The lsd?
The twin 40's?
The all round disc brakes?
The handling?
The superb looks,but that could be subjective.
Or was it the awesome noise of the twin overhead camshaft engine howling to 8000rpm with
air trumpets
GTJ 1300....................and then came its bigger brothert that left the circuits of Europe ant the opposition gasping.the 1600 GTA.
AO Member

County: South Yorkshire
Quite easy for me - the looks, no other car in each equivalent range quite has the style of an Alfa. I only passed my test 5 years ago (I'm 35) and got offered a pay rise at work that included a car allowance. I looked at all sorts and kept coming back the 147 but was still believing the rumours about Alfa reliability etc and ended up with an Astra SRI Sports Hatch.

That became too expensive for me to insure (after I scraped the rear end on a wall) so traded it in for a Focus (dead boring 1.8 tdci Style) and have just last week flogged that and bought a good second hand 147 for £k and put £3k in the bank!

Looks good, drives superbly and I'm now properly in love with a car for the first time...

Cheers

Danny B
AO Member

County: Hampshire
I was 17 it was my first car after passing my test, I went looking at several cars and do there was an Alfa Sud in Red and I cant remember engine size or anything but I was smitten when i saw it, problem I had was I was with my brother in law who did everything to put me "rust/ unreliable" I now know all these things are untrue after 6 years of a 166! ANyway I ended up with a Mk III Cortina which I wrote off! since seeing the Alfasud I have always been moved by the marque. It was also a lot of company cars before i opted out and made the move which was really a sweet moment getting my 166 made up for all the absent Alfa years......

TEAMALFA
Missing my 166 3.0 Lusso Sportronic
Seeking 159 2.4 Lusso ready for F1 remap
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

Octavia vRS tsi

There are two types of drivers:

Those that drive cars and people who drive Alfa Romeos

Last edited by Mjet; 25-03-11 at 11:06. Reason: errr spelings
AO Member

County: South Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjet View Post
There are two types of drivers:

Those that drive cars and people who drive Alfa Romeos
But the are 10 types of people - those that understand binary and those that don't...

I'll get my coat...
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

I'm not sure I am hooked.

I bought my first Alfa (145 QV) merely because it was the nicest looking and best set of featured as compared to what I wanted from a car for the price I could afford to pay.

The 'not hooked' claim could be disputed because in the 9 years since then I'm only ever owner Italian cars (2 Alfas, one Fiat Coupe - an Alfa in spirit if there's ever been one!)

I would argue though that al three of those cars were bought because they were absolutely the best combination of traits which I wanted my car to have for the money I was willing to spend.

Seen an offensive/spam post? Report it! Click the or button next to the post.
AO Rules - AO Gallery - AO Classified adverts - AO Club - AO Traders

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

"You know, sometimes the world seems like a pretty mean place."
"That's why animals are so soft and huggy."
- Calvin and Hobbes

To err is human, to moderate ursine.
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza View Post
I would argue though that al three of those cars were bought because they were absolutely the best combination of traits which I wanted my car to have for the money I was willing to spend.
So you're tight then?
AO Silver Member

County: Wicklow

Member car:

Giulia TI

The reason i looked at Alfa's honestly is because they were cheap. But then i drove a 156 twinny at a second hand car dealer and had to have one. Simple as.

Then i drove a v6 and . Now nothing else will really do me. I don;t think there is a car on the road that drives / sounds like the alfa v6 for the price. I mean unless you spend huge money on a sports car (Which i will when i'm big ).
AO Silver Member

County: Galway
My parents always bought Italian cars, Fiat Tempra, Fiat Uno, Fiat punto (x2) Fiat Seicento (Horrible) Lancia Giulia (i think it was called) so I loved cars but when i started working my first car was a 96 Ford Fiesta 1.1 - my God what a heap of ****e, then i bought a few months later a 98 Toyota Avensis TD - very dull car but extremely strong! then once the Avensis got to 250k (told you it was strong ) i decided it was time for a change. Went to take a look at at a 2000 Saab 9-3 TiD in black, the car was rather pretty and then parked next to it was a 2001 Velo blue 156 jtd with cream leather seats, all elec and most important AC. When I took it for a test drive the car had absolutely no power and told the dealer this who then gave me a nice discount and 40e worth of diesel. Turned out to be the MAF bought the car with exactly 101000ml on the clock and now shes up at nearly 170k in 2 years. and she is still going strong! still turns heads and I just love it when people want to get into the back and they think its a coupe
AO Member

Quite simply a 1978 Alfa Sud 1.3ti. My first car it was 4 years old a bit rusty but BOY was it FUN!!!!!!!
AO Member

County: Lancashire
The reason I love Alfa Romeos is easy. The Alfasud TI series 2 with the boot. Perfect in every way to drive with possibly the best production Alfa engine ever produced. V6 very close.....30 years of Alfa ownership followed and is still on going. The Alfasud.
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
My First Alfa (164 V6) attracted me to it with its looks and engine noise.

The way it handled was also great.
AO Silver Member

First I wanted a 68 Ford Mustang, but I realised (was told) I'm not there yet. Then I wanted something over 200 bhp with 4 comfy seats. I looked at BMW, Audi, Volvo, but there was something missing. One day I looked at a V6 166, and it felt just right.

I was driving the car over from Bristol, alone, and on a long, empty section of the road I put my foot down. Around 5000 rpm I started to laugh, and from that point I was addicted.
AO Member

i guess for me just always had Italian cars.
one of my dads first cars was a Fiat 128, then he got a Panda thats when i was born. from there we went to a Fiat Tipo, then to the alfas. 146, 156, 147. then i got my first car which was a Fiat Punto, followed by a 146 or my own. after that we both tried something else. he got a Volvo C30 (nice car, bit boring) i got a Toyota Levin (very nice but a little expensive) but we are both going back to Italian again next. Hes getting the new Giulietta and im going for something. not sure which one yet. maybe a 147.
K9d
AO Silver Member

County: Wiltshire
When searching through Autotrader, for a replacement for my Mk1 Laguna, I kept coming back to Alfa and specifically the 156.

So I bought a 146 (1.8), then a 166, scraped the 146 (rust) , another 146 (ti) gave that away bottom end gone and terminal rust and on the fourth attempt got a 156.

The first 146 was great such a willing engine, £500 for a years motoring.
The 166 is something special and never fails to put a smile on my face.
The 146ti never really did it for me, something about it just didn't click.
The 156 is great and fun to drive but I don't think it will be with me as long as the 166.

Want a GTV at some point.

AO Member

County: Arizona
I started off with drooling over Lancias

I'm not a big fan of the 33s, etc.. However the 164 started me looking at ARs in a new lite.. The 156 was the deal breaker when it was launched.. Pure sex on wheels. I wanted one, but thought I couldn't afford it - or more simply - couldn't afford the upkeep...

At around same time I noticed a particular 146 (red) in cork which just looked amazing, and had performance to boot. I was smitten... Just a question of when...

eventually things didn't work out in Cork so I moved, and I got a new job.. One of the perks - a company car.. this was my chance.. Jumped on a 1.8TS 156 Lusso.. - loved that car
And a year later bought the missus a 146 1.4TS Sportivo - loved that car even more...

That was it - I was smitten.
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

166V6,SudQO

Driving my brother's 1981 Alfasud 1.5TI in Silver which I ended up buying off him for IR£550 in 1991... The another sud - 84 Green Cloverleaf, 164V6 (woof!)...5 years in the wilderness - back to 166 twinny and 2 Suds to ease mid life crisis!!

Think they're all in my pics on here...
propellorhead

my dad spending a weeks dole money on a knackered sprint with rusted sills and a holed piston when I was around 10, and being in a 1.5 sc sud with a snapped manifold getting its neck wrung! It vibrated so badly it ruptured a fuel line.
My dads a legend;-)

AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

1983 , moved in next door to a guy who had an Alfasud . I was driving mundane ****e and everynight i could hear the sud coming home , sounded like a 2 stroke bike . Then my buddy in Dublin bought a 146 1.8 and it was soo different than anything else .. In 1999 I bought my 1st Alfa a 146 1.6 Junior in black , and since then have never looked back . So started the love affair!!!! Then came 01 147 1.6 and 2002 2.0 ltr 147 then the 156 Ti , and currently ( the best car of the lot ) my 166 . Its great to see such a big motor handle like its on rails and it rides like a limo

Run away with my wife kill my child but dont touch my car

CYCLISTS! THEY PAY NOTHING I TELL YA NOTHING
FRANKLY i DON'T GIVE A DAMN
IF THE ABS LIGHT IS ON ITS TOO LATE !
100% OF NON SMOKERS DIE TOO
AO Platinum Member

County: Cheshire
I passed my test in a Corsa SXi but then my (then future) Mrs and I decided to buy a nicer motor. Looked at Focus and Golf but once I saw a 147 and sat in one that was it. We bought an Alfa Red Lusso 147 and loved it; Alfas all the way since
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

Do they sell wives that like Alfa's ... mine likes BMW Mini's
JCL
AO Member

Member car:

SuperB

First up it was looks. Nothing else in it's class looked as good as well either a 147 or 156. The SW is a step above the rest. I needed diesel and most 2ltr's will give around 150hp or less. The 20v though gets 175hp and big bucket of torque. The seats fit a narrow frame sonwhej you going around corners you dong slide about. The interior is timeless. No flat plastic boringness. The front end grip is miles ahead of other fwd's and every day I have a smile put on my face on a 200m stretch of road as the weight transfers from side to side without causing any fuss to the car or the driver.
AO Silver Member

County: Cork
Back in 1995/1996 my girlfriend (now wife) was looking for her first car.... she fell in love with a Red 145 1.6 for sale in Grandons. I remember the car had a 1.6 engine but it was being sold as a Cloverleaf.. so don't know if it was a 'real' Cloverleaf because of the engine size? Anyway we drove it and loved it instantly. Everyone (family & friends) advised us NOT to buy an Alfa..... we were stupid stupid stupid not to have bought it. But we swore one day when we had a few quid we would buy an Alfa.

I had been driving Jap imports for years so my girlfriend bought a Honda too.....

Then in 1998-ish the 156 was released here. It was like a religious experience when we saw it in the flesh. The 156 in the showroom had pearlescent paint. Hmmmmm. We had to wait a few years before we could afford one. But when we eventually acquired our first 156 the addiction was then realised. Ever since it’s the only marque we'd ever drive...

If I'm really honest, we very neary bought a 520D SE a few months back for herself.... but in the end it was the seductive lure of the Visconti serpent and Milanese cross that won our hearts over in the end. Dam you Anonima Lombarda Fabbrica Automobili!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
alfa , hooked , romeos

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page