Anyone know either of these breras? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 13 Old 09-03-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

alfa gt

Anyone know either of these breras?

We are going to change mrs cyrus GT in the next few weeks, and id love to own a brera for a while.

Two have caught my eye,

a 06 2.2 in wine in tractamotors

Alfa Romeo Brera 2.2 TOP SPEC - €14,950 - Used Cars on Carzone.ie - New & Used Cars in Ireland
and a 07 3.2 in black in maxwells

Alfa Romeo Brera 3.2 4X4 COUPE - €19,995 - Used Cars on Carzone.ie - New & Used Cars in Ireland

For various reasons im leaning toward the 2.2, road tax, colour, i had a bad experience with maxwells before, i hope id get a better trade in in tracta etc.

The mrs loves the colour, i like the spec, and the price is ok with me too. Again in buying a brera i want to buy one at a reasonable price given how alfas depreciate over here!

Anyway, does anyone know this car? the blurb says enthusiast owned, maybe someone on here?

Any pointers or advice? given that its now 5 years old, is a timing belt change due?

Also, roughly what should i expect to be offered for a 06 Gt 1.9diesel with 60,000 miles on the clock as a trade?

Thanks in advance all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Cork
Stunning cars....

I don't know Brera personally, but do know the 2.2JTS engine. Ask the seller about any warranty work carried out on the car. Specifically steering rack and timing chain.

The 2.2 in the ad only has 25k miles odd.. my timing chain streched around this mileage It's over euro1000 to put right at a dealer so if it's already done you're ok, but if not ask the seller if they'll cover this in their warranty. you'll get a P0016 error code and the car will 'feel dead'... If you do buy the 2.2 change your oil & filter every 10k miles... no matter what Alfa say in the service shedule.... your chain will love you for it...

There was also the red/green power steering fluid issues. Do a search in this forum:
Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider - Alfa Romeo Forum

and there is loads of info in there... there is the belief that Red is bad and green is good. I'm confused. I've the red fluid in from the start and so far so good. If you feel/hear the grinding noise turning at low speeds that could signal trouble. Again ask the garage for warranty cover on this item. Some owners have had some gaskets replaced in the steering rack, a new reservoir and the system flushed with the green fluid and off they go. Others need a new rack.

They are the two €€€€€ items I know of.. other than that you'll get yourself a brilliant car!

Enjoy the hunt... !
Cheers,
Cathal

Last edited by Cathal_H; 09-03-11 at 10:41. Reason: speeeeeeelings

County: Cork
Garage
I don't think anyone on here has owned either of those Breras, no one that posts regularly in the Irish Section anyway.

The Owner's Manual is available online here Owner Handbook Alfa 177 - BRERA/SPIDER English which might be helpful to see what's due when, Page 210 is the start of the service section.
(Post Link) post #4 of 13 Old 09-03-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

alfa gt

cheers lads

any idea on trade in value of my gt?
Damien_C

I have seen that Brera in Maxwells looks good to be honest and in the 3.2 in black has to be the best spec and very cheap those cars where over 60k new back in the day.

AO Gold Member

County: Kildare

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

The leather looks very pitted and worn on the passenger side of the 3.2
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
cheers lads

any idea on trade in value of my gt?
I was going to say around €10,000, but that's probably a little high given that you can probably buy a 2006 JTD privately for that money these days.
AO Member

County: Arizona
not a hope of 10k for a GT as trade in or even a brera for that!

TBH in Ireland the 2.4 jtdm is the best option.
That said I regret not getting the 3.2

I've driven the 2.2 - didn't like it.. The brera is a heavy car. The 2.2 doesn't do it justice in anyway. The 2.4 JTDM offer more fun and tax isn't that much more.

3.2 is the more thrilling sound, but the 2.4 is the more wallet friendly.

On the cars in question

the 2.2
- for top spec it has the wrong wheels. AND for the record the only thing in the spec that stands out as an option is the blue & me
- that said it has the ipod addon - but not the bose - you'll probably (will) want to upgrade sound system over time
- the cabin and exterior look good on pic value
- at 25k there's not much to check - but definitely check for existing brera ailments like rocking seat, etc.. - i.e. read the service history before handing over any cash

For the 3.2
- 2 owners in 4 years - alarms bells should be ringing
- what's the marks on those seats - is it the pics or more
- mileage is very low - mine is 21k (miles) and I don't drive it much

Apart from that - if you can live with a D-reg then get into each and test drive them
Since I bought mine - I've never ever regretted buying it - Nothing comes close to replacing it (except a certain masser which we won't mention) and every day I drive it out I do so with the biggest grin on my face.

** EDIT - if you want I can meet you and show you what a 2.4 drive like.. Any excuse to get her on the road Just PM me

Last edited by rikd; 11-03-11 at 21:45.
(Post Link) post #9 of 13 Old 14-03-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

alfa gt

cheers folks

will take the 2.2 for a spin and see, it will mainly be my wifes car, i made the painful decision to sell my e46 m3 a few months back as i dont actually need a car, and the money is better saved .

compared to that even the 3.2 is gonna feel slow anyway, personally i cant get on with diesel which is why the GT will be going
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Each to their own, but I suspect that the 2.4JTDm in the Brera will feel very different to the 1.9 in the GT-or at least that's the feedback I've received from someone who has driven both.
(Post Link) post #11 of 13 Old 14-03-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

alfa gt

maybe,

ive driven a few diesels, plenty of them faster than the gt, still dont like the power delivery and band
AO Member

County: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
maybe,

ive driven a few diesels, plenty of them faster than the gt, still dont like the power delivery and band
Well, it's always going to be different than a petrol in terms of the band..

I didn't drive the 1.9 in a GT, but did in other cars. The 2.4 is a very different engine...

The 2.4 is very decent on the delivery, and as you get up the gears the bands are ok - having 6 gears helps massively of course.

Have a mate with 520d and he can't get over how uniform/linear the power delivery is on the brera's 2.4.

But if your trying to get away from diesel, the 2.2 is the more frugal choice.
AO Silver Member

County: Wicklow
or, it could be a once in a lifetime opportunity to have (and listen to) a V6. and the way the fuel prices go, probably the last one.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
breras

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page