Ridiculously cheap GTA - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 45 Old 21-02-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Ridiculously cheap GTA

I know this was spotted in the for sale thread but I can't get it out of my head.

Tell me I'd be mad to sell the GTi and buy this: Alfa Romeo 156 *FEB SALE* 3.2 V6 GTA NEW NCT 2013 - €4,950 - Used Cars on Carzone.ie - New & Used Cars in Ireland

I reckon with a respray / detail (depending on the paint), refurbed alloys and retrimmed front seats along with a good service (probably needs cambelt and brakes doing) and maybe new wishbones (even though it passed the NCT) and ARB bushes I'd have a seriously unique car for in and around 8 - 10 k... Would probably need a clutch in a while too I suppose.

Looks very cheap... anyone know or looked at it? For that base price you could make it a minter with some work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

Brera 2.0 JTDm

I can't get insured on that GTA, because it would've been mine already
AO Silver Member

County: Wicklow

Member car:

Giulia TI

Did you try britton insurance Rob? I got quoted 850 on the v6 fully comp.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 2.0 JTDm

I rang some insurers today (big names like axa, aviva etc) and none would insure me. Axa said that I have to be over 25 to insure me on a 2 litre

I will try some other insurers tomorrow, but bearing in mind that I'm only 21, there's not really high hopes
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulia TI

Ah yeah. I'm 25 so it does make a bit of a difference. Try britton though. They seem to be the cheapes around.

A few of the big names wouldn't quote me on mine either though in fairness.

Edit : Also keep in mind that GTA will probably cost a fortune to get up to standard and maintain. Not to mention fuel and tax......
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 2.0 JTDm

That's what I was thinking right now. I remember the fella on here (iaineire) that bought a GTA. When he bought his, there were 2 for sale, a cheap one and the one he bought. And he said that the cheap one reflected it's condition. Considering how cheap that GTA is, there has to be something wrong with it. We should go have a look at it
AO Gold Member

County: Kildare

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

It's even from a dealer, makes you wonder what they paid for it....
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

I checked the car out today.

It was advertised last year for 7500 and was reported to be in a poor state back then. No improvement so, as it's still in a very sorry state. It's a crying shame that such a stunning car, in probably its best colour, has been starved of affection for most of its life (the beautiful intake manifolds have probably never been wiped).
I figured it was worth a look given that it had a 'fresh NCT', as promised in the ad.
I should have known better with Irish dealers though. As usual, it merely means that they will guarantee to put it through once it's bought; if there are serious hidden problems uncovered in the NCT, the car could potentially be off the road for weeks. At least with a fresh NCT report in your hand you can have some confidence in the state of the suspension/brakes/emissions, and rule out major leaks.

I didn't bother driving it, so can only comment on obvious issues.

From a distance, the colour is stunning.
On closer inspection, there's a dent in the rear passenger door.
The bonnet looks to be discoloured and there is a stain on it (might come off with an abrasive polish).
There is bad scuffing on the underside of the front bumper which would need to be resprayed (can be partially seen in one of the pictures).
Ideally, the car would need a full respray as it's a difficult colour to match.

There were a few invoices for minor work done over the years, but none for the (alleged) cambelt service; there is (handwritten) mention of a cambelt service in the service book, but no mention of what parts were renewed (the water pump likely wasn't replaced).
The clutch will need to be replaced. All the gears select ok, but that was with the car stationary.
Although I didn't drive the car, I suspect (from browsing the few invoices) that the suspension will need an overhaul.
The engine sounded fine on tick over and with light revving. No warning lights. I didn't wait for the fans to kick in, but the temp was rising at a steady rate.
There was a small amount of fluid on top of the gearbox (and some oil spillage around the filler cap).
The tyres (Pirelli's) have plenty of tread left.
All the alloys will need to be refurbished.
Backbox has some life left in it.
The windscreen is cracked and will need to be replaced.
The interior isn't too bad up front. The driver seat bolster isn't badly scuffed, but there is a lot of wear on the back seats.
The steering wheel trim is very badly worn, bizarre for such low mileage (the few invoices present suggest the mileage is genuine).
Will need pads and discs all around. The calipers would benefit from a refurb (305mm setup).
The second key wouldn't start the car for some reason.

In conclusion, if they repaired the dent, replaced pads and discs, replaced windscreen, sorted 2nd key, retrimmed steering wheel, and put it through the NCT, it could be decent value at 5000 for someone.
That would leave some room for cambelt/w. pump, clutch, Q2, respray and any worn suspension bits.

Personally, I wouldn't buy it for any amount of money as it has obviously been abused and unloved.

Last edited by bmoferrall; 22-02-11 at 15:49.
AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

What a shame , Its like having a beautifull woman and running off with a man
AO Silver Member

County: Galway
wow now thats a good detailed description of the car - but personally it wouldnt really put me off. i would offer 4k for it and i bet the dealer would take it. i wouldnt concentrate on the minor stuff at the moment like the paint or alloys but the timing belt and tensioners etc plus the suspension would need sorting so i think 1k for all that. but again i would still go after it.
if you bought it from the UK then you have the rust issue, could also be that you will spend maybe 5-7k GBP on a good one and then spend a fortune having it vrt'd etc. so it would probably work out the same as if you bought it from the IRL dealer AND at least you have a comeback if something happens to the car not like if its from the UK. just my 2p

EDIT: Dermo, Beautiful has only one 'L'
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 2.0 JTDm

That sums it up about the GTA. I wouldn't pay more than 3.5k for it in the current state. A full respray will set you back at least 2-2.5k.
AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

Good way of looking at it bear TBH , I would agree about beautiful as well God be with the days that my hands were faster than the keyboard
AO Member

Member car:

156 GTA & 155ish

guys,

having owned a GTA for the last 3.5 yrs(it's parked up at the moment but will never be sold I hope) that car will sink a lot of money. I don't know the owner of this car but would be tempted to buy it based on the ad below.

Alfa Romeo 156 GTA for sale in Dublin: €8,000 - DoneDeal.ie

GTA's cost a a lot to run as parts are made of chocolate and have to be fitted by 7 vestal virgins. That said there is nothing more intoxicating than the v6 under load for similar money.......
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

A full cambelt service (belts, both tensioners, idlers, w. pump, plugs, plug seals) would set you back 1200 (if you bought the parts yourself from the UK).

A clutch would, I guess, be around 1000 including labour. It would be foolish not to replace the standard diff with a Q2 at the same time, as they regularly fail (though more so on the 147 GTAs). If doing both, I would get them done by AutoLusso (cheaper and more expertise).

Although I only glanced over the invoices, I don't recall any mention of suspension components, so you could be looking at a full set of wishbones, droplinks and arb bushes. That's approx. 500 including labour (guesstimate).

Disks and pads: another 400 (assuming you pay for labour).

Radiator will probably need to be replaced in the near future (another 400 or so, including labour).

Alternators can go around this mileage (especially if car isn't a daily driver), an 800+ euro job.

No idea on a respray, but 2K is probably a reasonable estimate. Refurb of wheels would be 400 or so.

On top of all that, the standard dampers on the 156 GTA are terrible on non-smooth surfaces.

The only things going for this car are its relatively low mileage and the colour.

You might be lucky, but a GTA that has been run on a poverty budget is a potential money pit.
A fully sorted import (with no rust issues) with higher mileage is a much safer proposition.

Last edited by bmoferrall; 22-02-11 at 17:28.
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidius View Post
guys,

I don't know the owner of this car but would be tempted to buy it based on the ad below.

Alfa Romeo 156 GTA for sale in Dublin: €8,000 - DoneDeal.ie
The chap that bought my 147 GTA test drove this car first and mentioned a few issues that need sorting (I won't comment on them as it's only second-hand info); it would be an excellent price if they were sorted though (hint hint to the owner ).
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

I should add that my labour estimates are based on what TI Autos might charge.
e.g. I bought all the parts for the cambelt service on the 147 GTA from ebspares and the total, including labour, was around 1300.
I'm sure you can get most of the jobs done much cheaper elsewhere.

My philosophy on cars as special as the GTA, a potential future classic, is to try and pass them on to the next owner in better condition than you receive them, i.e. stewardship rather than mere ownership.

Last edited by bmoferrall; 22-02-11 at 18:02.
AO Silver Member

i agree with what you are saying bmoferrall but I think thats its not important to do certain things straight away especially if they havent failed yet i.e. the alternator. no point changing something thats still working. the belts i agree would have to be changed pronto but a full suspension rebuild? why? the car wasnt driven yet so no diagnosis can be given. it may knock but it doesnt mean all 4 wishbones etc need replacing. the radiator, hmm thats a different issue - you said that the temp was rising steadily which would point to a rad in working order.
again I dont think someone should think this way if they want to buy this GTA - the clutch also may need doing but if its working fine then wait a month or so for the funds to come back into the account and then do the clutch and Q2.
Im really hoping someone will buy this beauty cause once its niggles are sorted it will be fantastic
AO Silver Member

i just took a look at the ad again and it says at the bottom that there is a 3 month warranty! thats got to be worth something!
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

I wasn't suggesting that the new owner replace the alternator and radiator, I was just warning about likely near-future expenses (I've owned 2 GTAs at his stage).
Likewise, the suggestion of a suspension rebuild is based on the assumption that all the suspension parts are still original (improbable I suppose).
Since the garage will put it through the NCT, any immediate suspension problems will obviously be addressed.
The clutch is very stiff and makes a clicking noise at the end of travel, but might be fine for a while. Again, just warning about likely expenditure in the first year or so of ownership.

I too would love to see it restored to its full potential - not with my wallet though
AO Silver Member

if i had 4k lying around and not 2 Alfas and a 15 year old Fiat relaxing on the driveway i would buy it too
AO Member

not sure but i think it was that garage, i went looking at a 1.6 147 a few years back that was advertised as very good condition, etc, etc.

turned out the car was clocked, and hand been crash from the look if it fairly badly.
very poor repair with big gaps all around the driver side center piller and foot wells had a few bits of glass in it, with alot more under the back seats. and the car was very very worn. and it want going that cheap either. abou t6 or 7 at the time i think for a car that had over 90k on it and was about 8 years old atleast.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulia TI

One of you needs to buy it!
AO Silver Member

Quote:
one of you needs to buy it!
+1
AO Member

Member car:

156 GTA

I went and looked at the GTA in the original post prior to buying my own, and it was not in great condition then - June '10. In terms of what has been mentioned regarding belt change and something scribbled in the book, this is a new finding. The private seller back last June had no receipts for the belts ever having being changed and told me that the engine had dropped valves but all remedial work had been carried out by Alfa Romeo free of charge under warranty ... but there was no invoices or history to back it up.

I own the GTA in the second donedeal link further down the thread advertised for €8k. I accepted an offer on it last week but the sale seems to be in limbo at the moment. Got two new front tyres, laser tracking and airbag light sorting over the weekend. Would love to hear the 'niggles' referred to above by PM, curiosity & the cat
AO Member

Member car:

156 GTA & 155ish

[/QUOTE] I own the GTA in the second donedeal link further down the thread advertised for €8k. I accepted an offer on it last week but the sale seems to be in limbo at the moment. Got two new front tyres, laser tracking and airbag light sorting over the weekend. Would love to hear the 'niggles' referred to above by PM, curiosity & the cat [/QUOTE]

What are you changing to.....? I'm in the sad state that I'd like to buy a rear-ended GTA to keep for parts.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
cheap , gta , ridiculously

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page