VRT inspection question. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 30 Old 20-02-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Wicklow

Member car:

Giulia TI

VRT inspection question.

Roar just raised a point in the chat thread about the VRT inspection.

Do they devalue a car based on condition? Take for instance my motor with the rust etc. If i documented the repair work and provided reciepts etc would that bring the value they estimate the car at down?

It would be amazing if i could get a few bob back somehow but i have a feeling they would laugh at me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Dublin
Garage

Member car:

166V6,SudQO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat_lezerby View Post
Roar just raised a point in the chat thread about the VRT inspection.

Do they devalue a car based on condition? Take for instance my motor with the rust etc. If i documented the repair work and provided reciepts etc would that bring the value they estimate the car at down?

It would be amazing if i could get a few bob back somehow but i have a feeling they would laugh at me.
Bat, the plain fact is you are getting the open market value of your car assessed.
The rust issues would devalue it hence IMO lowering the VRT payable.
You can appeal it subsequently I believe so don't quit man!!
(Post Link) post #3 of 30 Old 20-02-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulia TI

Quote:
Originally Posted by roarsbaby View Post
Bat, the plain fact is you are getting the open market value of your car assessed.
The rust issues would devalue it hence IMO lowering the VRT payable.
You can appeal it subsequently I believe so don't quit man!!

I just read the VRT website and it doesn't look as if they actually test the roadworthyness of the car . They only determine the value and charge based on that. I think i will call them and ask about this tomorrow.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

afaik they have a rough market price for each car and go with that, I've never heard of them assessing cars individually
(Post Link) post #5 of 30 Old 20-02-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulia TI

I have been told you can argue with them. I will see what the craic is tomorrow when i call them.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

do and some of the lads on here have brought in imports, I know Dermo has done it with his 166 so you could send him a pm
AO Member

County: Cork
Have a read of this thread, I had to pay the full amount of vrt and then appeal it.

Below is my first thread.
The registration certificate states the car is a 166 TSpark Lusso, the online vrt calculator has two listings for the 2.0 engine, 166 TS16valve (over 4k vrt) and the 166 TS Lusso (3.6K vrt) I've spoken to someone in the vrt office, stated my case explained the book value of over 11k was crazy, they told me to pay it and then appeal it, provide proof that they are overvaluing it (paper adds, autotrader etc) and I will receive a refund within 2 months. I hope!

And this is the follow up!
https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/repub...rt-rebate.html166
(Post Link) post #8 of 30 Old 21-02-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulia TI

Thanks man. Did they do a roadworthyness check on the car before it was issued with a reg number? I have been told they do and that has been the main reason for me not VRTing the car.

Last edited by bat_lezerby; 21-02-11 at 09:16.
AO Member

They did'nt even come out to look at the car, but I cant say that's always the case.
(Post Link) post #10 of 30 Old 21-02-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulia TI

Just got off the phone with them. How difficult do they make it to find information in this ****e heap of a country?! Revenue tell you to contact the NCT people and vice versa.

So eventually i guilted a guy in the VRT office (that doesn't deal with VRT anymore). Apparently the base rate for VRT is 720 euro. They will not lower it less than that. So even if your car is a ball of ****e and is worth 50 euro you need to pay 720. Ah well worth a try. I knew they would have that sealed up like a ducks ****.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat_lezerby View Post
Just got off the phone with them. How difficult do they make it to find information in this ****e heap of a country?! Revenue tell you to contact the NCT people and vice versa.

+1

Yes, a complete shower of phucks. I was trying to get a quote for a car that was not listed VRT website late last year. Was back and forward between the VRT lot and the NCT lot.... each saying it was up to the other heap of wasters to quote.

The offical line from the NCT is if it's not in the VRT website/database then they can't quote.

The VRO said it's up to the NCT to give the quote, the end.

I explained to the VRO the car I was interested was not up on the websote/database.. they suggested I buy in the car anyway 'and present it to the NCT for evaluation".

This begs the question, what planet to these **** ****** ******ers live on?
(Post Link) post #12 of 30 Old 21-02-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulia TI

It absolutely beggars belief that these people get paid to do what they do. The lad i called actually said to me " yeah. This is the VRT office but we don't deal with VRT." Then when i called him a second time he gave me the information i asked for the first time.
AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

720 is the base price alright , anything over 7 years if i remember but as mine was 01 I paid the 720, My 156Ti cost me 3186 when I brought it in , still it was a bit of a saving as the Ti was not on there site so i argued for a boggy 156 2.0 litre , I found them helpfull enough TBH but there are wallies everywhere now .
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

166V6,SudQO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dermo View Post
720 is the base price alright , anything over 7 years if i remember but as mine was 01 I paid the 720, My 156Ti cost me 3186 when I brought it in , still it was a bit of a saving as the Ti was not on there site so i argued for a boggy 156 2.0 litre , I found them helpfull enough TBH but there are wallies everywhere now .
I think that might only be if your car emits more than 210g/km or whatever the exact criterion is. The €720 is calculated as 36% of €2000 so if you get something diesel with lower emissions you might save a few €...
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

Possibly right rory but tbh I only checked what mine was going to cost (the 156 and the 166 ) so unless it affects my family or my pocket "i couldnt give a fiddlers "
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

166V6,SudQO

Quote:
Possibly right rory but tbh I only checked what mine was going to cost (the 156 and the 166 ) so unless it affects my family or my pocket "i couldnt give a fiddlers "
Dermo, like the spellings, it's either right or its wrong...
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

right or rite or write take your pick or shovel
AO Member

Member car:

166 3.0 V6

I have the same problem i been sen up and down to vrt people and to nct,but everyone is pointing finger to other,
Anyway im driving it since 1st nov last years with english plates and got stoped only once,i might just pay the duty if they dont stop me this month
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaniitis0 View Post
I have the same problem i been sen up and down to vrt people and to nct,but everyone is pointing finger to other,
Anyway im driving it since 1st nov last years with english plates and got stoped only once,i might just pay the duty if they dont stop me this month
Dead right. if their inefficient procedures keep you bouncing between departments then drive on. I assume the new system is like the old? Do you get paperwork to say you've attempted to pay VRT but your case is being processed?

Also since the nCT is doing inspections does that mean a 4 week plus waiting time?

I'll be dealing with the pubic sector myself tomorrow to pay VRT too. Looking forward to the professionalism.
AO Silver Member

don't forget to tell these motoring experts that Alfa Romeos are not written with PH when they copy the data over from the V5 form...
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klapanciusz View Post
don't forget to tell these motoring experts that Alfa Romeos are not written with PH when they copy the data over from the V5 form...
*breathing sloooowwwly, thinking calm thoughts* ahhhhh.

Please tell me you are joking?

I've gotten a booking for the new lady second week in March so I can convert her UK passport to an Irish one....

I have a statistical-code from the VRT revenue website for the car too so hopefully there will be no argument with the final double-taxation value.
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

166V6,SudQO

New VRT Rules 'Illegal' Says E.U. - Octane.ie
Although I wonder if the VRT is illegal in its entirety as you are transferring goods between one EU member state to another... (Free movement of people, goods and capital is a basic tenet of the EU AFAIK) Or is it just different because it's Ireland?
AO Silver Member

I tried this a few years ago... they are covered by taxing the 'registration' and not the 'product/goods'. I got an email from some EU person ages ago when I tried being a smart a$$ and argue NOT paying the VRT on a car I'll try and dig it out and post it....

EDIT: Ah yea the 24 hour rule thing.... but that no longer applies now with the new NCT system right?

Last edited by Cathal_H; 01-03-11 at 13:15. Reason: E
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

That's what we were told when we voted to join the EU all those years ago. We would have cheaper cars etc etc but when the Government saw how much they would lose on TAX they brought in the VRT . The Government knew that it would take up to 10 years to get a ruling in the EU court and then when its made illegal , they (the Government ) can put a tax on say steering wheels and by the time it gets ruled illegal they have got another 10 years of bleeding us motorists and then when that's ruled illegal they start with some other part and the thing starts all over again . So lads we are stuck with TAX on TAX for ever

Run away with my wife kill my child but dont touch my car

CYCLISTS! THEY PAY NOTHING I TELL YA NOTHING
FRANKLY i DON'T GIVE A DAMN
IF THE ABS LIGHT IS ON ITS TOO LATE !
100% OF NON SMOKERS DIE TOO
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

166V6,SudQO

Quote:
That's what we were told when we voted to join the EU all those years ago. We would have cheaper cars etc etc but when the Government saw how much they would lose on TAX they brought in the VRT . The Government knew that it would take up to 10 years to get a ruling in the EU court and then when its made illegal , they (the Government ) can put a tax on say steering wheels and by the time it gets ruled illegal they have got another 10 years of bleeding us motorists and then when that's ruled illegal they start with some other part and the thing starts all over again . So lads we are stuck with TAX on TAX for ever
Correct and right!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
inspection , question , vrt

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page