159 Buying query - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

1Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 30 Old 12-02-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Leitrim
159 Buying query

Folks

I am looking at buying either a 2009 or 2010 Alfa 159 Diesel TI Spec here in Ireland auto or manual transmission.

I've been trawling thru the usual car sales sites and see a good few 159's that are advertised as TI versions, however they nearly all seem to have either 17" or 18" inch alloys but none with the 19 inchers which am I correct in thinking are the proper TI spec wheel?

Also did Alfa Romeo do a 2009 Automatic sport wagon in TI spec?

Sorry for the questions I'm on my 3rd Saab car and I'm looking for something cheaper to run fuel wise that is also very easy on the eye. However I'm not overly familiar with the world of Alfas and don't want to get caught out with something that someone has just plonked a TI badge on to make it more desirable.

Thanks for your help

Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Damien_C

Honestly your best bet would be going to England to find the right spec one you would like. Cherb will be on here to tell you about all the details of them as he has one.

County: Cork
Garage
Hi & Welcome to AO Michael

AFAIK the 159ti originally came on 18"s in Ireland but the 19"s were availabe as an option. Here is one on 18"s Grandon Car Sales : Alfa Romeo 159 1.9 STDM 16V TI 4DR (2010) ( overpriced, see below )

Also the list prices of 159s were recently reduced by a big amount ( €6000 off the ti ) so the prices of 2nd hand cars should be a lot less so beware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa's Facebook Page
The Alfa 159 Series III is significantly more affordable than before, with the 2.0 JTDM Turismo starting at just €27,995 - a reduction of €3,500 compared to the 120hp 1.9 JTDM Turismo it replaces.

The range has also been simplified to just five models with the top 1750 TBI saloon now retailing for €6,500 less than before.

Prices for the Alfa 159 Series III start from:
159 2.0 JTDM 136hp Turismo €27,995
159 2.0 JTDM 136hp Lusso €30,495
159 2.0 JTDM 136hp Lusso Sportwagon €32,095
159 2.0 JTDM 136hp TI €32,495
159 1750 TBi 200hp TI €36,995

Here are the old prices
159 prices.jpg

Another thing to be aware of is that the Alfa Diesels are a bit thirsty, have a look here for more info on all thing 159 related https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...nd-946-spider/
(Post Link) post #4 of 30 Old 12-02-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Cheers for the responses lads, I'm getting around 27mpg from 2.3 Turbo (petrol) Saab so hoping for an improvement on that, I will do more reading on that thread you gave David to be fully informed I'd be going for the 2.0 Version of the 159 so it maybe less thirsty.

Damien I've looked a the prices in the UK and they seem good VRT seems to be around 5k to bring one into Ireland that's just from the revenue website so it maybe less than that. It's worth doing alright I shall be keeping my options open.

For the record this is the machine I have my eyes on the pricing is again on the high side I reckon its worth maybe 19-20k max as opposed to 24k

Alfa Romeo 159 1.9 TI 16V Sportwagon Auto, ### SALE PRICE### - €24,950 - Used Cars on Carzone.ie - New & Used Cars in Ireland

I have the option of buying the car straight so may have a little more bargaining power.

What do you guys reckon?

Thanks
Michael
Damien_C

That is minty Love the wheels Never driven an auto one before. But could be nice I'd say. The auto 166's are a great autobox.

(Post Link) post #6 of 30 Old 12-02-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

I've had a few spins in various automatics but never owned one I reckon I shall kill two birds with the one stone get a car I've always wanted to own and and with an Auto transmission. Will need to tie my left foot up to the seat or something to stop me going for the clutch only to find the brake

What's my odds on beating them down to 20k pricewise? If I was to buy straight out?

Garage
I think the new 2.0 version is meant to be a step forward from the 1.9 alright.

That 159 SW looks good alright, nice wheels ( from the Brera ) on it but it's the 1.9 not the 2.0 you mentioned so €630 road tax IIRC compared to €156 for the 2.0
Also the autos might be a bit thirstier than the manuals ?
Damien_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicreamio View Post
I've had a few spins in various automatics but never owned one I reckon I shall kill two birds with the one stone get a car I've always wanted to own and and with an Auto transmission. Will need to tie my left foot up to the seat or something to stop me going for the clutch only to find the brake

What's my odds on beating them down to 20k pricewise? If I was to buy straight out?
I dunno really to be honest on the price. It is dublin so you will be paying the dublin tax up there. But you maybe able to find a manual. As South County Alfa had one there I know but that was a while back.

(Post Link) post #9 of 30 Old 12-02-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

I'd be prepared to take the hit on the additional road tax if the car can be got for the right price, as from what I'm coming from it would be still cheaper to tax.

I would sooner the lower road tax that the 2.0 brings but I don't see any 2.0's on the market over here so it would a 1.9 in Ireland or off to the UK to get a 2.0 one. Sorry I did say 2.0 in my earlier post but a 1.9 would do .

I am not tied to an auto box or an estate just I've become attached to owning an estate as they are great for moving stuff around and would like to own an auto for once yeah it would be a bit harder on juice thou but I'd still like to give on a go.

I've a few weeks before I'll be buying so not in any rush, if I have to goto the UK to get one then thats on the cards too if a viable saving can be made from it.
AO Member

County: Porto
hey mate welcome to AO i would rather wait till next year for the 159 replacement the giullia
(Post Link) post #11 of 30 Old 12-02-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Might buy now and trade in next year
Damien_C

You maybe able to get some nice deals if you ring Alfa Ireland one of their ex cars maybe?

(Post Link) post #13 of 30 Old 12-02-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Hi Damien,

I never thought of that worth a try I guess.

Michael
Damien_C

No bother at all man, just an idea that popped in my head. They def would have some really well maintained cars there too. Or you could ring the Lee in Cork they may know of a few floatin around.

(Post Link) post #15 of 30 Old 12-02-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Hey if it works it's worth a try Thanks Damien.
AO Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

159 Ti, GT 1.8

Hi dicreamio,

Most of the Ti's in Ireland are on 18's unfortunately, took me awhile to find one on 19's . (got it from fiat Ireland in the end)
There are nearly all on 19's in the uk if buying from there would interest you, or maybe main dealers here would swap to 19's for you?! The Ti looks fantastic on the 19's so hold out for them!!
(Post Link) post #17 of 30 Old 12-02-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Cheers for that you're right the bigger wheels do a for the car itself not to mention show of those nice red calipers. There's a crowd in Dublin that bring cars in and clear them I may suss them out and see what they have to offer.

Vehicle detail: Alfa Romeo 159 2.0 JTDM 16V TI 5dr // UK Direct

If I had to drop to 18" that estate I posted has a very nice set I'll keep my options open

Garage
The 19"s look the job alright but just an FYI, many on the 19"s have got less than 6K miles on the front tyres due to tracking settings which caused excessive inside shoulder tyre wear. AR have since changed the recommended settings AFAIK which does seem to have helped the issue.

Tyres aren't cheap either due to the size not being very common & only a few brands available. Budget well in excess of €1000+ for a full set.
Nev

Quote:
Originally Posted by David P View Post

Tyres aren't cheap either due to the size not being very common & only a few brands available. Budget well in excess of 1000+ for a full set.
What he said.

Even 18s cost a fortune.

I'm happy with the 17s on mine:

https://picasaweb.google.com/nev.doc...91911240615586

Just replaced the two front ones at ~20K km
for just over 400 the pair. The 18s were costing me
about 280 each!!!!!

AO Member

County: Hertfordshire
Thinking of selling my Ti if you're interested?! It's got all what you're after and more too
(Post Link) post #21 of 30 Old 13-02-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Hey folks,

I have 17's on the Saab (225/45/17s) the only tyres that really wear out are the front two I have been picking them up via a buddy that manages a garage and tyres online @ eiretyres.com: tyre dealer for cheap passenger, summer, winter tyres every now and again. Been paying around 135 for them from Khumos, Hankooks (Didn't rate them) and Bridgestones. I can live with the cost of rubber if I can take the weight off my right foot at the lights

kandrewsntl drop me a pm or mail me on [email protected]

Cheers
Michael
AO Silver Member

Hi Michael,

I bought a Ti in 19s a few years back in the UK... the original P Zero Neros (235/40R19) we costing me euro315 a pop... Apparently only two cars that size rubber, the Ti and the front of some Aston. So pirelli were only doing small batch runs, therefore the cost..

Got sick of paying that money every 8000 miles so took a gamble and when up to 245/40R19 and the price dropped substantially. I have Dunlop Sport MAXX on at the moment and they are wearing very well... AND they were only around euro200 each.

Dunlop SP Sport Maxx - tyre reviews, the online tyre guide

Also you might was to read this forum on tyre wear and new tracking settings:

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...formation.html

BTW the Ti suspension on 19s is fine on motorways... but on 'real everyday' roads it can be a bit tiring... We went on a run to West cork there a few weeks ago on the AO forum and it was difficult to keep up with the pack due to the road surfaces....

If I was buying again, I'd consider 18's and maybe jumping up a profile size just for comfort... and to reduce the need to replace suspension components once a year.

aanyway give me a PM if you have any questions etc...

Besst of luck with car hunt!!

Cathal
Damien_C

Does nobody rotate tyres anymore? Front to back and back to front we would get 10-15k miles outta tyres by doing this. Surely you can do the same with the tyres on the Ti's?

AO Silver Member

Afraid not. Front tyres 8000 miles on the P Zero Neros.

Garage
Some people are rotating the tyres but the problem is the extreme wear on the inside edges on the 19"s, some have worn down to the canvas in 6k miles with the rest of the tyre looking perfect. Often people aren't even aware of the problem until it's too late & rotating tyres after only 3k is a bit of a joke anyway

AR are aware of the problem & some have even managed to get AR to replace the tyres under warranty, this isn't happening anymore though AFAIK as now there are new recommended setting which the Dealers should be using.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
159 , buying , query

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page