My 156 is up for sale. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 35 Old 03-02-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Wicklow

Member car:

Giulia TI

My 156 is up for sale.

After agonizing over this i have decided the most sensible course of action is for me to sell the V6. I don't have the expertise to fix it and to be honest i would prefer to cut my losses and buy myself another one in a few months.

It would be a good project for anyone that was handy with a welder. I will be taking the bodykit and wheels off the car before i let it go. I think 500 euro would be a fair price. I am going to put it on donedeal later on. If anyone on here is interested you can PM me and we can talk.

Just for people that haven't seen my thread. The car has rust issues underneath. It has one hole at the back passenger foot well. There some surface rust also.

The car has grey leather and is a rare Nuero Fucio (no i can't spell it) colour

It needs a handbrake cable and has a slight power steering leak as the fluid level has dropped. The lads on here will vouch that the backbox / induction kit that is on the car sounds amazing .

Here are some pics to wet your beak. Even for parts alone it is worth a punt IMO.

photo10.jpg picture by stoneruile - Photobucket

photo10.jpg picture by stoneruile - Photobucket
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

sorry to hear, what happened to the guys in the UK? did you at least get your money back
AO Silver Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

sorry to hear that barry, did u at least price getting the sills done? I can ring shane if you want and get him to look at it
(Post Link) post #4 of 35 Old 03-02-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulia TI

IDK mark. I am really swaying towards getting rid of it. I have some pictures of the underside i can send on to you. I suppose it wouldn't do any harm for him to have a look. Whats your email? Thing is it needs 2 new front tires before i can drive it anywhere. The 2 that are on it are dangerous. I will need to buy them anyway because i am keeping the wheels.

@"Klap : I called them and their attitude was it wasn't something they would notice without putting the car on a ramp. They didn't really seem too bothered when i told them the car wasn't even on the road.

It was MVC in sale btw. Just outside manchester. They still haven't posted me out the report either even though they said they had. I never recieved it.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

email adress pm'd, i really think you have to name and shame that mechanic Barry, For all the effort you put into getting that car its just not on
propellorhead

Hey bat, one mans junk is another mans treasure as they say. Damn shame to hear it has to go but also, I could well be intrested if all options with 155ts fall through for yourself.
Just to clarify though, the car would be effectivley 'on bricks' with bumpers and skirts removed?
so if I was to buy, I'd need to stick wheels on and also, is the vrt paid on it or are they just old pics?

AO Silver Member

County: Galway
nnnnnnnnnnoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
(Post Link) post #8 of 35 Old 03-02-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulia TI

I am leaving the bumpers. Just taking the zender bits off. I will get a set of steelies on it for you. The VRT isn't paid yet as i wasn't going to pay it until i found out about the rust.
(Post Link) post #9 of 35 Old 03-02-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulia TI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa155 TS View Post
email adress pm'd, i really think you have to name and shame that mechanic Barry, For all the effort you put into getting that car its just not on
I did Mark. See my previous post. iT WAS mvc in sale that looked at the car. I called them and heir attitude was that they needed the car on a ramp to notice this.
(Post Link) post #10 of 35 Old 03-02-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulia TI

Yeah no worries man. Send me your email. I'll mail some pics over.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

if there is one thing any car from the uk is going to suffer from its rust, regardless of make he should have checked this. Anyway I've looked at the photos barry and if that is all I really think it might salvageable (is that a word) and I would highly recommend bringing out to Shane, if you want I'll ring him and see what he says
(Post Link) post #12 of 35 Old 03-02-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulia TI

Yeah mark i suppose we'll head out to him. Nothing to loose. I was onto him already. Sure if you know him give him a shout and say we'll head out to him. maybe if you (or i) mail him the pics first to see what he says?
AO Silver Member

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

I just rang him Barry and he said any evening next week is fine or anytime Sunday. Saturday after 1 mite be ok but with the rugby starting at 2:30 I'll want to be home for that. I will be up there Saturday morning myself for an hour or so workin on the 33 so if there is a free slot he'll throw it up.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

oh and he said any rust job he will do its just the more there is the more money it'll cost so lets get him to have a look, I think its doable
(Post Link) post #15 of 35 Old 03-02-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulia TI

I need to get the 2 tires. I have a lad that can get part worns but he can't get them until sunday.I actually can't drive on the ones that are on it at the moment. During the week?
AO Silver Member

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

during the week is fine Barry, I'll pm you my mobile so let me know asap what day and I'll sort it with Shane
AO Gold Member

County: Kildare

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

F3ck Barry sorry to hear it, but sounds like you could be in luck.
MVC
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader

County: Greater Manchester
In response to these posts stating that we have not carried out our job may i just point out that when this inspection was arranged we informed the buyer that the inspection would NOT involve jacking the vehicle up as our liability insurance will not allow this at the road side and we would be carrying out a general inspection and road test. although we understand your frustration we do not believe that these allegations are fair and justified,
as for the report that you say we DID NOT post we informed you that it was sent with 4 first class stamps as REQUESTED by the post office and were only informed recently that it has not arrived to which we promptly posted out another report by recorded delivery. may we point out that we were NOT connected to the seller of this vehicle in any way and had not seen or repaired this vehicle at any point in the past and there for would have nothing to gain from the sale of the vehicle. it is for these reasons that we donot normally carry out these inspections at the road side as we believe that to inspect a vehicle properly a ramp is needed, As for the post threatening to burn down our garage we have past a copy to the local authoraties who will be speaking to the alfa.com site owners as to what action to take.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 2.0 JTDm

MVC to be honest, I've heard that lots of cars in the UK have rust problems, so I would expect that a competent garage that deals with Alfas will know, and WILL check for rust. I'm just an amateur when it comes to the technical part in an Alfa, but when you think about it, if I was in the UK, I could've tested Barry's car and tell him the same thing you did, so then what would be the difference in an amateur and a professional garage ?

At the end of the day you have to understand Barry's frustration, with all the time and money he wasted for that V6. Can't really think that if you were in his position, you would've laughed on this matter. A little more compassion on this matter wouldn't hurt

I'm not gonna go further, but your reply above isn't going to win you any fans among the Irish section

Regards
Rob

(Post Link) post #20 of 35 Old 04-02-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulia TI

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVC View Post
In response to these posts stating that we have not carried out our job may i just point out that when this inspection was arranged we informed the buyer that the inspection would NOT involve jacking the vehicle up as our liability insurance will not allow this at the road side and we would be carrying out a general inspection and road test. although we understand your frustration we do not believe that these allegations are fair and justified,
as for the report that you say we DID NOT post we informed you that it was sent with 4 first class stamps as REQUESTED by the post office and were only informed recently that it has not arrived to which we promptly posted out another report by recorded delivery. may we point out that we were NOT connected to the seller of this vehicle in any way and had not seen or repaired this vehicle at any point in the past and there for would have nothing to gain from the sale of the vehicle. it is for these reasons that we donot normally carry out these inspections at the road side as we believe that to inspect a vehicle properly a ramp is needed, As for the post threatening to burn down our garage we have past a copy to the local authoraties who will be speaking to the alfa.com site owners as to what action to take.
In response to this. The rust issue is not the only thing that is wrong with the car. A friend of mine (who is a mechanic and owns a garage) checked the car over for ten minutes without going into detail and noted more than just the rust. There is a clear power steering whine under full lock and a new thermostat needed (which i have ordered). There is also a suspect whine from the gearbox which i am told could be down to low gearbox oil levels but that remains to be seen . This wasn't noticed. I think you will understand my frustration that i have a car that is off the road and can't be driven after me paying 100 pounds to have a mechanical check. With all due respect you can actually see the rust on the car without it being jacked up. All you need to do is put your head under it.

I would also like to confirm that you did say the car would be better checked on a ramp (i did honestly expect you to jack it up), i have said that in this and my previous thread and i accepted that but i have to say that the volume of problems that have been identified should have been noticed. I bought the car based on your expert opinion and it is in no uncertain terms a lemon.

I would also like it noted that i had never once said anything to the affect of harming your business / property. Everything stated in this thread has been fact. I also rubbished claims that you were somehow in league with the seller of the car as it is outlandish. You would have little or nothing to gain from it.

I feel that the inspection carried out on the car wasn't thorough enough and if you feel that you can't provide a proper service roadside then you shouldn't take the business.
AO Gold Member

County: Kildare

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVC View Post
What does a "general inspection" entail? For the fee that he paid you, what would one expect in return?
(Post Link) post #22 of 35 Old 04-02-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulia TI

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat_lezerby View Post
In response to this. The rust issue is not the only thing that is wrong with the car. A friend of mine (who is a mechanic and owns a garage) checked the car over for ten minutes without going into detail and noted more than just the rust. There is a clear power steering whine under full lock and a new thermostat needed (which i have ordered). There is also a suspect whine from the gearbox which i am told could be down to low gearbox oil levels but that remains to be seen . This wasn't noticed. I think you will understand my frustration that i have a car that is off the road and can't be driven after me paying 100 pounds to have a mechanical check. With all due respect you can actually see the rust on the car without it being jacked up. All you need to do is put your head under it.

I would also like to confirm that you did say the car would be better checked on a ramp (i did honestly expect you to jack it up), i have said that in this and my previous thread and i accepted that but i have to say that the volume of problems that have been identified should have been noticed. I bought the car based on your expert opinion and it is in no uncertain terms a lemon.

I would also like it noted that i had never once said anything to the affect of harming your business / property. Everything stated in this thread has been fact. I also rubbished claims that you were somehow in league with the seller of the car as it is outlandish. You would have little or nothing to gain from it.

I feel that the inspection carried out on the car wasn't thorough enough and if you feel that you can't provide a proper service roadside then you shouldn't take the business.
P.S if you want i can get a report and send it to you to back all of this up. I will even get it from an indy here in Dublin (not my mate).
AO Platinum Member

County: Essex
This is to be concluded off ALFAOWNER.com

A conclusion will be posted on this thread after I have spoken to both parties.

Regards

Joe

Site Admin.
(Post Link) post #24 of 35 Old 01-03-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulia TI

Alright lads. Well there was no resolution to this problem. MVC disappeared once the thread was locked.

I have decided to sell my 156. Not because i am bowing out of Alfa ownership but i have had a car come my way that looks like it could be a good'un. I am going to take a huge hit on this but such is life. As stated i am selling the car as is with the zender kit left on as i think removing it would ruin the paint on the car which would be of no use to the new owner. These kits are rare as Zender have gone out of business and they can't be bought from Alfa anymore.

I will be taking the multispokes but will have another set of alloys to put on (original 156 speedlines). I am looking for 500 euro. Which i think is a more than fair price. I won't take any less and i think this is a good deal. Anyway, i am putting it on donedeal today so if any of you are interested drop me a PM and i'll send on my details. This would be a nice easy project for someone to take on.
(Post Link) post #25 of 35 Old 01-03-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulia TI

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
156 , sale

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page