Would anyone be interested in getting their car remapped? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 17 Old 06-01-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Wicklow

Member car:

Giulia TI

Would anyone be interested in getting their car remapped?

I know there was a thread on this before that descended into a bit of a farce but i would like to gauge interest for a tuning day in the republic.

I will call and get prices etc if there are a few people interested. Judging by the last thread we will need about 10 of us for it to be reasonable. I don't know if Autodelta and the likes still do it but there are a few guys on here that seem to know what they are on about when it comes to remaps . I am sure one of them would cross the pond if we had a few heads.

What say you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

Brera 2.0 JTDm

Is there any point remapping the 1.6 ?

Anyway, whilst I was at the Toyz 4 big Boyz thing in the RDS a while back, there was a chap at a stand, from Belfast if I remember correctly, saying that they remap cars. I asked how much was for a 1.6 TS, and he said around 250 (which is really cheap). Got a flyer from him, but lost it
AO Gold Member

County: Kildare

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Might be a good idea to try asking the same question on octane as well perhaps if there isn't already one being organised...
(Post Link) post #4 of 17 Old 06-01-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulia TI

Yeah i might start a thread over there but i would prefer to get an Alfa specific tuner like autodelta over if we could. Would you lads be interested?
AO Silver Member

County: Cork
Yes. Would defo like to get this done on my 159.

Great idea. Thanks for kicking off thread.
(Post Link) post #6 of 17 Old 06-01-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulia TI

No bother cherb. I think we would need to get 10 or so cars. Could probably turn it into an excuse for a trip and a session as well.

right so far we have:

1. bat_lezerby
2. cherb

P.S rob i don't know if it would be worth getting a 1.6 done but i will ask for you if we get the numbers up.

P.P.S how are those lights coming on?
AO Member

County: Galway
I'd be up for it at the right price. It would be the beemer though not the alfas.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 2.0 JTDm

The lights not great at the moment .. I finished one headlight, but the other one, I managed to crack the glass and a bit of plastic .. The damn dog wanted to play while I was holding the headlight, tripped and landed really bad.. Now I have to source another headlight. Probably after the big meet in cork.
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

166V6,SudQO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterio View Post
The lights not great at the moment .. I finished one headlight, but the other one, I managed to crack the glass and a bit of plastic .. The damn dog wanted to play while I was holding the headlight, tripped and landed really bad.. Now I have to source another headlight. Probably after the big meet in cork.
Less trouble than women huh?
If you were married you would have to dig it out of the bin...
(Post Link) post #10 of 17 Old 07-01-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulia TI

Right so we have

1. bat_lezerby
2. cherb
3. rlaffey
Damien_C

No point in mapping them to be honest imo. Unless you got exhaust work with decatting and maybe a set of cams your not going to get what you want outta it imo. And I don't know of anyone in Ireland that can map the standard ECU on Alfa's without buying a piggy back ECU.

AO Member

Member car:

159 3.2

I looked into this about a year ago and came to the conclusion there was nothing worth it here. Autodelta UK definitely do have some good options which would be more than just a straight remap. If I'd gone ahead at the time, I would have gone to this crowd who are still marketing a number of upgrade packages:

Mangoletsi, Alfa Romeo and Fiat Dealership in the north west of England - Performance Upgrades

They're known to be expensive for what you get, but are truly Alfa dedicated and will let you try out their cars, give you a refund if you're not happy, etc.

I would have my doubts any of these would come over for a handful of cars though, you'd have to have a big group. Could be a fun day trip over to Holyhead tho!
AO Member

Member car:

159 3.2

Oh yeah, and be careful about insurance implications....
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey
Have you tried contacting Gus (AlfaTune)? I remember last year him and Adie went over to Romania (or somewhere in Eastern Europe anyway) and did a few remapping sessions ... I'm sure that Gus would know someone over on your island that has a rolling road he could use ...

... definately worth an ask isn't it??
(Post Link) post #15 of 17 Old 08-01-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulia TI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_C View Post
No point in mapping them to be honest imo. Unless you got exhaust work with decatting and maybe a set of cams your not going to get what you want outta it imo. And I don't know of anyone in Ireland that can map the standard ECU on Alfa's without buying a piggy back ECU.
Are you sure that it is pointless mapping a car that doesn't have a decat and cams? You hear a lot of people on here having cars remapped with no mention of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim159 View Post
I looked into this about a year ago and came to the conclusion there was nothing worth it here. Autodelta UK definitely do have some good options which would be more than just a straight remap. If I'd gone ahead at the time, I would have gone to this crowd who are still marketing a number of upgrade packages:

Mangoletsi, Alfa Romeo and Fiat Dealership in the north west of England - Performance Upgrades

They're known to be expensive for what you get, but are truly Alfa dedicated and will let you try out their cars, give you a refund if you're not happy, etc.

I would have my doubts any of these would come over for a handful of cars though, you'd have to have a big group. Could be a fun day trip over to Holyhead tho!
I just said i would throw it out there and see. I wouldn't trust any of the jokers over here with my car tbh. My missus old pair live in birmingham so i might do a trip sometime and swing into alfatune if we don;t get the numbers on here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 156Chris View Post
Have you tried contacting Gus (AlfaTune)? I remember last year him and Adie went over to Romania (or somewhere in Eastern Europe anyway) and did a few remapping sessions ... I'm sure that Gus would know someone over on your island that has a rolling road he could use ...

... definately worth an ask isn't it??
i'll drop him a PM now and see if he'll swing by the thread.
AO Member

County: Galway
I got a quote this week from protune in Galway for 275 for the 520d........should get 35bhp or so and about 70 lb/ft torque.
Damien_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat_lezerby View Post
Are you sure that it is pointless mapping a car that doesn't have a decat and cams? You hear a lot of people on here having cars remapped with no mention of this.
Think about it. How do racing teams amateur racers etc get more power from their engines they are using. They unrestrict the intake side and the exhaust side of the engine with decatting improved induction and bigger heads cams, valves injectors etc. A standard car with stanadard exhaust and induction isn't going to see many gains over the standard map if you get it remapped. I have seen it loads of times. You'd honestly be better off buying a new maf and spark plugs and a good service than the 300 euro you would spend on getting a remap done. Ask Nick in CDA what his M3 came out with before and after he did the above it was amazing what such small things can do to power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlaffey View Post
I got a quote this week from protune in Galway for 275 for the 520d........should get 35bhp or so and about 70 lb/ft torque.
But that is a turbo and turbo's are a completely different ball game they are much better suited to remaps as you can adjust the ignition and timing tables on the ECU and up the boost pressure of the turbo to get more power. Where as a non turbo there is not much scope to do that.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
car , interested , remapped

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page