Installed HID's in my 159 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 26 Old 15-12-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Limerick

Member car:

159 1.8 Turismo

Installed HID's in my 159

Hello all.
Had to replace the passenger-side headlight on my 159 so decided while I was getting it done I would install a set of 8000K HID's. I have to say I am very impressed, it's like the difference between night and day (no pun intended). Just made sure when they were installed that I got the headlight alignment done and so far nobody has flashed me (yet again no pun intended ) Would recommend them to other Alfa drivers if you feel your stock lamps aren't up to much.

Pete.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Wicklow
interesting, I have factory fitted xenons with 7k bulbs (long story), and I'll change them back to max 5k at the next service. I'm very unhappy with the distance, but the traffic signs are more visible indeed.
(Post Link) post #3 of 26 Old 16-12-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

159 1.8 Turismo

Are the dipped beams in the 166 projector type? I have been told that if HID's are used with standard headlights (with refractive lens) that they just spread the light all over the place rather than focusing it...that may have been your problem..
AO Silver Member

no, it's proper xenon
AO Silver Member

County: Cork
out of interest where did you buy the kit?

Cheers
Cathal
(Post Link) post #6 of 26 Old 16-12-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

159 1.8 Turismo

Hi Cathal,
I got them from caralarms.ie - clifford, hornet, parrot, viper, bury, parking sensors, cost me €120. Imho they are very good and could only recommend them.

Pete
AO Silver Member

Thanks for the info Pete..... will take a look into those...
AO Member

I have factory fitted Xenon's in my 166 and find them very poor, car is 6 years old, I wonder if new bulbs would improve matters.
Damien_C

Jaysus the factory fit xenons in the 166 I think are class. Klap what ya doing with 7k? Should be 4300k?

AO Silver Member

you're right, it should. I ordered the 5k bulbs, but got the 7k. I had no experience in these boy racer bulbs before, so I thought it will do. Also, I had two days before leaving for a 30-day European driving holiday, didn't have time to change.

About the aftermarket HID kits, do they have washers and self-levelling? if not, imho they'll fail the NCT.

I'd suggest to read these:
Aftermarket HID (Xenon) headlamps
https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...ml#post1736626

Some people put 100W bulbs in the H1/H7 socket, and it melt the headlight casing.
AO Silver Member

^^^ ah yes, I assumed when changing to HID you had to buy the headlamp units along with the discharge tubes, ballast etc etc... I'm guessing a new system would be over euro500??
(Post Link) post #12 of 26 Old 17-12-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

159 1.8 Turismo

Had the headlight alignment checked today by a friend of mine who works in an NCT garage here in Limerick and said that mine were spot on and would not fail the NCT..good to know.
Damien_C

Ya they are **** imo anything over 4300k lights even though ironically they are brighter than the higher K lights but the blue in the higher k lights make them look **** imo and have a crap bream spread.

AO Silver Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

Brera 2.0 JTDm

Yep, they look crap with those blue lights. I always see them on passats and jap cars
AO Member

So why are mine ****e??? and Dermo dont say my eyes!!
Damien_C

I dunno Kiki we shall compare someday for some reason. I also lost your number buddy hence why I haven't rang you in a while to annoy ya

AO Member

Ha, I probably wouldnt have been able to answer you..... new touch screen phone
AO Member

Just found this on a BMW forum...

Recently had a low beam light error message, replaced the RHS bulb (easy DIY), put a new Phillips D2S bulb in.
The remarkable thing, or not, was how much brighter the new bulb appeared than the existing 'old' one.
So, I replaced the LHS bulb too, and struck a perfect match.
Clearly, the 'old' bulb was not as bright as a new replacement bulb, of the same type.
I am not a bulb guru (someone must be).
Do Xenon bulbs age gracefully, or do they burnt bright then die?

What's not often understood is that by the time the lamp nears end of life, and undergoes the color shift dance, 50% of its projection strength has been lost for quite some time, although brightness may continue to remain relatively the same as before. This projection strength factor (aka, lumen depreciation, or decrease in light output) is not often viewed/known by most drivers to be a problem as long as the lamp still functions and burns, but it's this gradual loss in strength over time that takes away from the sharp contrast and cutoff around the fringe distribution @20-40' forward of the car.

I've heard from Osram Sylvania engineers that their 35w 4100k D2S lamps are rated at 2700-3000 hrs life, and w/in the lighting industry, 12v metal halide lamps in general carries a 50% lumen depreciation. w/in the first few hours of lamp life, lumen output would be 100%, or ~ 3000 lumens. At ~ 3000 hrs of use, or end of rated lamp life, we can expect ~1500 lumens, or 50% loss. IF the trend was linear, then midway of lamp life, we'd see 25% loss or 2250 lumens. But the trend isn't linear, rather in published data from lamp mfrs, they show the trend to be digressive. Thus, midway in lamp life, the lamp is closer to 35% depreciation, or 1950 lumens. Thus, larger loss occurs w/in the first 1/2 of a lamp's life vs. the last 1/2.

IN addition, the 2700-3000 hr lamp life is based on a sample of lamps being allowed to burn continuously. Let's say this sample qty=100 lamps. When it takes 50% of that sample to burn out, that's the published rated lamp life. Thus, you can see how unrealistic this rated life is in real world applications, where there's numerous restrikes (turn on/turn off) plus extreme ambient temperature and humidity variations and vibrations all working towards reducing that rated life hours. There's really no data to show how far off real world lamp life is vs. rated lamp life, but it's safe to assume that no one's seeing 2700 hrs of use. If I had to guess, I'd say we'd be lucky to get 1/2 , or 1500 hrs, or on average 1 hr of use every day for ~ 4 yrs. So let's assume that we can expect 4 yrs out of the lamps; thus by yr 2, the lamps will depreciate 35% of initial lumen output, and by yr 4, 50% depreciation. It's sound practice in the maintenance sector of the roadways & parking lot lighting industry to incorporate a change out plan before lamps burn out mainly to get back the lost lumen depreciation for maintaining public safety. Personally, I feel lamps are cheap parts nowadays, relative to gas prices and all other things BMW, and so if you've not seen the light, as it were, then replacements should be part of your routine maintenance.

Anybody buy any fo the xenon replacement lamps off Ebay??
Damien_C

Lol, what ya get one of them fool of a phones for?

AO Silver Member

i got mine from ebay, hence I need a new one now... do you know a good place?
Damien_C

Not to sound like a clown man, but maybe your best bet would be to go to the main dealers ring O Donoghues in kylemore road and see what they quote you for a set of bulbs. I know the ones in our 166 are very good and have lasted a long time as there is no record of them being replaced

AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

166V6,SudQO

I use the ones you can buy in your motor factors 90/100% brighter - no technical details.

166 I've just changed the dip beam (H7) and I've found them better...

My brown sud (H4) made a massive difference - the old ones were like candles!

Just changed the H1s in my wife's 97 Primera and they seemed to be a lot brighter and better.

I'm poverty spec so I'm happy to pay €20/€25 for a pair but none of that fancy xenon stuff...
AO Member

Just ordered a set of Osram D1S Xenon 4300k bulbs off EBay, £70 + £7.50 postage from the UK. I hope there brighter than the ones that are in it!!
AO Member

County: Longford
About to replace both XID in my FL 166 with factory fitted XID's - one has taken to flickering!
Best deal I can find here in Ireland is from Red Chariot in Dublin: here, €50 + €4 postage for a pair & they seem to include ballast wiring too... Not sure why!
Anybody got any better ideas?
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mufasa View Post
I use the ones you can buy in your motor factors 90/100% brighter - no technical details.

166 I've just changed the dip beam (H7) and I've found them better...

My brown sud (H4) made a massive difference - the old ones were like candles!

Just changed the H1s in my wife's 97 Primera and they seemed to be a lot brighter and better.

I'm poverty spec so I'm happy to pay €20/€25 for a pair but none of that fancy xenon stuff...
I know where you're coming from Mufasa! The beams on my 156 were terrible when I got her. She still had standard bulbs and you would have been better off in the dark with a kids flashlight strapped to the bonnet!

One of them went, so I decided to replace all four bulbs.

Picked up the uprated bulbs in Halfords (80% brighter or whatever) and it made a world of difference. Was a cheap enough fix too compared to just a straight bulb swap.

Tore my hands to bits changing them though!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
159 , hid , installed

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page