V6 GTV ... what a car... but 1293 tax p/a, WTF!!! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 26 Old 14-12-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

Alfa Romeo GT

V6 GTV ... what a car... but 1293 tax p/a, WTF!!!

I'm thinkin down the road a year or so anyway as I just taxed my GT for another year...

But when I do get the next car it'll be a family car so maybe a 156/159 (depending on money situation) which is grand

But for a bit of extra fun I'd love to buy one of these.

Alfa Romeo GTV 3.0 V6 24V LUSSO 02DR - €2,999 - Used Cars on Carzone.ie - New & Used Cars in Ireland

like the navy colour on that as well. Unsual colour.

Alfa Romeo GTV - €3,500 - Used Cars on Carzone.ie - New & Used Cars in Ireland

They're reasonbly priced cars but my god the tax is a bollix. 1293 a year!!! Makes ya wanna

Car tax is just so stupidly priced right now.

Personally I wish they'd get rid of the tax bands etc and just tax fuel. The more you drive the more ya pay. You use the roads more so you pay more.

So many nice cars like these GTVs going to waste because the tax is just too beepin high.

Rant over.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Wicklow

Member car:

Giulia TI

The tax is an absolute joke and the thing is i can't see it getting any cheaper. It's funny as well to hear the UK lads moaning about tax on here. If only they knew how lucky they were. I think i read that it is as bad in belgium.
AO Silver Member

County: Galway
tell me about it.... taxing the 2.4 makes me wanna shot the b***h behind the counter
AO Gold Member

County: Kildare

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyebass View Post
I'm thinkin down the road a year or so anyway as I just taxed my GT for another year...

But when I do get the next car it'll be a family car so maybe a 156/159 (depending on money situation) which is grand

But for a bit of extra fun I'd love to buy one of these.

Alfa Romeo GTV 3.0 V6 24V LUSSO 02DR - €2,999 - Used Cars on Carzone.ie - New & Used Cars in Ireland

like the navy colour on that as well. Unsual colour.

Alfa Romeo GTV - €3,500 - Used Cars on Carzone.ie - New & Used Cars in Ireland

They're reasonbly priced cars but my god the tax is a bollix. 1293 a year!!! Makes ya wanna

Car tax is just so stupidly priced right now.

Personally I wish they'd get rid of the tax bands etc and just tax fuel. The more you drive the more ya pay. You use the roads more so you pay more.

So many nice cars like these GTVs going to waste because the tax is just too beepin high.

Rant over.
You could get a 2L twinny instead, the tax is half the price and still have some fun in it....
AO Gold Member

County: Brokopondo
Or register it in the north and save a bucket load of cash!?

County: Cork
Garage
And risk having it impounded ( risk increasing by the day I'd say as government tries to bring in the dosh ), have to pay a penalty & then have to pay the duty on it anyway
AO Gold Member

County: Brokopondo
The good ol days really have gone!
mo4
AO Member

County: -
If you have room to park it then a 3.0L as a second car is an option.
You could tax it for 3 or 6 months a year, and declare the other one of the road during that time. Kin of like splitting the difference

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo4 View Post
You could tax it for 3 or 6 months a year, and declare the other one of the road during that time. Kin of like splitting the difference

I haven't read all this Road Tax-Off Road facility to be ABOLISHED! - Octane.ie Forums but declaring a car to be off the road might not be an option sometime in the future.

There is also a few words on it here Carbon tax and road tax: Double the pain as cost of heating homes and driving to rocket - The Measures, The Budget - Independent.ie
AO Member

County: Arizona
the joys of motoring in modern Ireland

Hence why something like the 1750TBi is so interesting.

Be thankful those engines are on the old system - you wouldn't want them in a brand new car.. At 278g/Km your tax bill would be €2100 per year!!!!

wish I could switch to new bands though - tax would drop from €895 for the 2.4 jTDM to €630
(Post Link) post #11 of 26 Old 14-12-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa Romeo GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTV Gav View Post
You could get a 2L twinny instead, the tax is half the price and still have some fun in it....
If I was gonna do it I'd want to go the whole hog and get the 3ltr to be honest. I just looooooooooove that engine. Seriously nice hum to it.

The country is changin as well registering it up north and declaring it off the road are soon to be closed loop holes imo so its all or nothing I reckon.

Its a while away yet as I say. I decided to spend another year with my GT anyway but I like to plan ahead so I can look up all the options way in advance.

ps there are some seriously cheap 156's online on donedeal at the moment with good NCT's for anyone lookin for one.

alfa romeo 156 for sale in Cork: €1,100 - DoneDeal.ie
or
00 Alfa 156 for sale in Tipperary: €1,000 - DoneDeal.ie

Thats kinda what made me think of this idea. I could pick up a cheap 156 for example with a decent NCT and service history and get the GTV as a toy/second car.

Just a thought I suppose. As you can see I didnt want to work much for the past couple of days thinking a year down the line
mo4
AO Member

County: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by David P View Post
I haven't read all this Road Tax-Off Road facility to be ABOLISHED! - Octane.ie Forums but declaring a car to be off the road might not be an option sometime in the future.
Good point, although I believe there will always be an off road facility, although it will be better controlled like the UK SORN system.

So once the second car is genuinely off the road then there is no issue.
Pretending the car is off the road will probably be a thing of the past, but that's not what I was recommending though
AO Member

Member car:

Volvo 440

tax system is a mess alright, it discourages people from buying cars, you should pay a flat fee and then pay a extra tax on insurance premiums.
Cheap tax for commercials and taxis should be stopped too, they take up most of the road, they should pay a little bit more towards the road tax system, fair enough i know they are taxed on their earnings and they are required for their work, but they also use them for personal use.
I just realised over 5 years if i keep the gta i'd have paid out 7815 on motor tax alone.
AO Member

Member car:

156 GTA

Ahem, 3 on 2-3 off. The GTA was taxed this month for the first time since end-August. I'm good until March, then I'll have to take it off the road again until June/July.
AO Member

County: Bedfordshire

Member car:

156 2.4 JTD 10v

Mmm... Pretty car, and the tax is a small price to pay for automotive bliss
AO Member

Member car:

Volvo 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianeire View Post
Ahem, 3 on 2-3 off. The GTA was taxed this month for the first time since end-August. I'm good until March, then I'll have to take it off the road again until June/July.
I'd love this but dont think this would work for me tbh, i've to drive at pub closing hours right through cabra and finglas where the high number of checkpoints/patrols means im stopped on average once a week, to add to that, when im in work she sits out on stoneybatter which is a busy old road with plenty of gardai/clampers hovering around, i'd get done big time.
AO Member

Member car:

156 GTA

True, it depends on the kind of driving you do for the most part. I'm usually on the motorways or coming in and out of Dublin centre very early am and early evening so the checkpoint risk is low. In fact, I honestly couldnt tell you the last time I passed through one.

Touch wood!
AO Member

Member car:

GTV 3.0 V6

Quote:
This is what I'm doing, so it's gonna be march or april before I get her back on the road (currently parked up at the parents place). I was paying about 180 p.a. in tax in the UK when I lived there. Simply can't justify the guts of 1300 nowadays!

Agree with the comments on adding road tax to petrol/diesel prices, it makes complete sense and would cost the government less to administer than the current system. The Police could then focus on making sure cars/vans/etc were road worthy and improve road safety. If fuel was more expensive in this manner it might also encourage people to look at alternative forms of travel and free up the roads too.... dreams.....
AO Member

Member car:

GTV 3.0 V6

Quote:
You haven't had a go in a V6 yet have you Gav?
AO Gold Member

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRGTV View Post
You haven't had a go in a V6 yet have you Gav?
I'm afraid I won't get out if it if I do
wiseguy

Quote:
I did this with a 635CSi I had a few years ago and used to run it from Apr-Sep (and made the missus pay the tax on the 156!). The other way to look at it is that you would lose this and more in depreciation running a newer car so and still have to tax it, where as a GTV surely can't fall much further. Still doesn't take the sting out of handing over 1300 much!

AO Member

Member car:

Renault Sport

Not Happy

High mileage GTV's are quite affordable right now. Flip side is that the low mileage/mint condition bunch are becoming rare on the classifieds. Looks like current onwers are playing 'keepies' with them.
Then when one does come up, it is snapped straight away (poor auld Orish buyer is slightly disadvantaged as the best ones are in the UK).
As for colour.... plenty of Vela blue, and silver out there. Very few reds.

As cheap as they would be to buy, it is expensive to keep them as a second car. Even with taxing for 6 months you still have the insurance daylight robb-EDIT.... crowd. As for taxing usage by applying the tax to petrol..... they have!! ... double hit for the car enthusiast.
Then having a 10yr old sitting up for 6 months. Irish weather and the out doors. If you have indoor cover happy days.

I just can shake the hankering for another GTV. Buy running/maintaining a second car right now just ain't going to happen. And if it does, it means the 'other' car will have to be a 10yr old small engined shed, and maybe even that dirty word may have to be considered......Diesel..

Like you murphye.... maybe in a year...or two....

Last edited by Volmars; 20-12-10 at 14:42.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

You'll be back before you know it Larry, hoe is the Megane working out ?
AO Member

Member car:

Renault Sport

Quote:
You'll be back before you know it Larry, hoe is the Megane working out ?
Aesthetically it ain't great but it does perform well (similar stat's to the GTV).
However a 5dr family hatch just ain't a sports car.

Hope to be back behind the wheel of an Alfa in 2011. May be an old 147/156 but it should allow me room to save for a GTV
AO Silver Member

Quote:

Was there not a GTV turbo for sale in Italy to get around this exact problem? (or am I dreaming)..

To OP: yea it would be good if the road tax was abolished and put on fuel.. then we could all have that nice little plaything for the weekends etc... but you know our numpties here in power... the tax would go on the fuel... then 24 months later they'd kick off the road tax disc thing again and keep it on the fuel as well..

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
car , gtv , p or a , tax , wtf , 1293

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page