Egr - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 10-12-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Arizona
Egr

With the freezing spell during the week, the engine management light came on last Wednesday requesting me to check the engine.

Got it checked out - and it's the EGR valve. It's decided not to play ball anymore
Thinking back there were warning signs - I think the cold spell (temp display was -7.5 on Wednesday morning) was the final straw for it.

Was surprised at the price though - €200!!!

Is that right?
I thought it a bit pricey considering the car is running pretty sweet right now.
It's due (well 2 months overdue) a service, so will probably get it done at the same time next week - but 200 notes
Anyone know if thats a good, bad or average price for an EGR for 2.4JTDM Brera/159?

NCT coming up (it's first) so will have to get it done just to pass.

And to top it all - I slid as well and scraped my front right wheel on a kerb - agghh... This and the budget - xmas is cancelled!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

County: Cork
Garage
Maybe you could clean the EGR Rik, have a look here https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...-on-159-a.html I haven't read it all so not sure how helpful it is. Try a search as there are loads of threads on the EGR.

Sorry no idea about the price, always been a Petrol owner

Hope the alloy isn't too badly kerbed
mo4
AO Member

County: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikd View Post

NCT coming up (it's first) so will have to get it done just to pass.
I'm not 100% sure with the diesel, but the EGR is for NOX levels and this may not be tested during the NCT.

In a petrol car I'm fairly sure the NOX is not measured, mine passed and the EGR solenoid was at home in the shed
(Post Link) post #4 of 5 Old 10-12-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo4 View Post
I'm not 100% sure with the diesel, but the EGR is for NOX levels and this may not be tested during the NCT.

In a petrol car I'm fairly sure the NOX is not measured, mine passed and the EGR solenoid was at home in the shed
hmmm...
I think it was checked the last time I had a tractor do it - will have to check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David P View Post
Maybe you could clean the EGR Rik, have a look here https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...-on-159-a.html I haven't read it all so not sure how helpful it is. Try a search as there are loads of threads on the EGR.

Sorry no idea about the price, always been a Petrol owner

Hope the alloy isn't too badly kerbed
Alloy is pretty bad
Almost a complete horse shoe scraped back to metal

As for EGR
Am more interested in prices that trying to resurrect it..
Car is behaving ok - accelerates fine, MPG is as before.
I had an issue the week before last where the car vibrated at idle, butit righted itself within seconds
Also had an issue for last month on way home from work (always on way home from work which was strange) where I got a strange deceleration in 4th.
Am assuming valve is just faulty

TBH - I prefer to just replace and not take the chance anyway. Love the car to bits and wouldn't scrimp on her...
If she wants a new diamond ring then I'll do my best to get it for her
(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 13-12-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Looked around and I can maybe save about €20...
So decided to just go with original quote and then keep the outgoing EGR and see if I can recondition it myself later

Will leave the alloy until summer as well...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
egr

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page