VDC and ABS failure. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 54 Old 29-11-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

Alfa Romeo GT

VDC and ABS failure.

ok so getting in to the car this morning the handbrake didnt want to go down but did thankfully. Was part frozen I'd imagine. Think its ok now though. So that was the first thing.

2nd and more importantly was 2 failures came up. ABS and VDC. Now I'm presuming its just to do with the sensors not liking the cold as the car drove to work fine and not a problem braking etc, albeit at slow speeds due to the snow/ice, etc.

So should I be worried or am I right in thinkin that when the car thaws a bit the lights will just disappear?

My thinking is that both the VDC and ABS are still functioning properly and fine but the error is coming up as the sensors are ****ed with the cold.

Any thoughts?

oh and its an Alfa GT.

thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

Member car:

Volvo 440

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...m-failure.html

Think this might answer your question!
Simples.
AO Silver Member

County: Kildare

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Good hard breaking (in the dry obviously) clears the error. Happened to me today and quite a bit last winter.
(Post Link) post #4 of 54 Old 30-11-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa Romeo GT

cheers lads it all sorted itself out by 3pm when the ice thawed from the car. Failure lights just reset themselves. No problems this morning thank god. Long may it last.
Damien_C

I wouldn't leave the handbrake up again tonight. I remember I had to drive from Naas to Sallins 3 years ago with the handbrake frozen on the there was steam off the brakes they where that hot and the pads kinda melted so from now on I just leave the handbrake down and leave the car in gear with a rock underneath a wheel just don't forget to move the rock in the morning.

(Post Link) post #6 of 54 Old 01-12-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa Romeo GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_C View Post
I wouldn't leave the handbrake up again tonight. I remember I had to drive from Naas to Sallins 3 years ago with the handbrake frozen on the there was steam off the brakes they where that hot and the pads kinda melted so from now on I just leave the handbrake down and leave the car in gear with a rock underneath a wheel just don't forget to move the rock in the morning.
guys cant stress how important this is. Tonight is going to be a cold one from what I'm hearing so park on level ground, into first gear or reverse if theres a slight hill depending on which way your facin and a rock under a wheel or two.

It'll save you a lot of heart ache. Mine was a little frozen on Monday so last night I left it off thankfully. Best decision I ever made.
AO Member

County: Wicklow

Member car:

ex-GT owner :(

I left my handbrake up on Sunday, and it didn't seem too keen to go down on Monday. It did, but now the handbrake warning light no longer shows on the dash when it's engaged - but it does work. The only time I'm using it at the moment is for hill starts in traffic - leaving it in gear apart from that.
AO Member

County: Hertfordshire

Member car:

147 GTA

Yep same here as well and ABS et al learning a lot about Alfa's in a short amount of time.
AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyNot View Post
Yep same here as well and ABS et al learning a lot about Alfa's in a short amount of time.
Alfa's are like children and wive's , the 1st 20 years are the hardest
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 2.0 JTDm

Weird.. It seems that my 156 has no problems at all. not even a light on the dash and the handbrake works like a gem.. What's wrong with my car ?

AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

YOU
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 2.0 JTDm

That's a bit uncalled for :bat:
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

ok so :leave:
AO Member

County: Cork

Member car:

156 sw 1.8ts

abs light can come on when battery amps drop below a predetermined level as abs ecu moniters ampage, as abs pump uses a lot of power when it is triggered normaly happen on cold days when battery is a couple of years old then clears by the end of the day as battery warms up ampage incresess and also charged by car running the sensors are not affected by ice as they take infomation
by reading votage spike caused by the ring gear moving past the coil in the sensor
left hand brake on the other nite theres nothing like lying under car at 7am twisting handbrake cables to get to work!
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

you kniow your stuff
AO Gold Member

County: Kildare

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dermo View Post
you kniow your stuff
I was thinking the same, although I cannot prove any of it wrong either!
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

If it doesnt intefere with my family or my pocket then who cares
AO Member

Member car:

Volvo 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by cork 156sw View Post
abs light can come on when battery amps drop below a predetermined level as abs ecu moniters ampage, as abs pump uses a lot of power when it is triggered normaly happen on cold days when battery is a couple of years old then clears by the end of the day as battery warms up ampage incresess and also charged by car running the sensors are not affected by ice as they take infomation
by reading votage spike caused by the ring gear moving past the coil in the sensor
left hand brake on the other nite theres nothing like lying under car at 7am twisting handbrake cables to get to work!
Good man, thats some in depth info!
Do you like puzzles? Electric puzzles you say?
My electric heated seats they heat up when pressed on, but the electric seat adjustment comes and goes when it feels like it, to make things more interesting, when the seats dont work the rear electric windows also dont work.
Keep meaning to get it looked at, but very rarely have passengers so it never bothered me.
I kinda want to leave it as it is, every alfa needs a quirky fault!
AO Member

Member car:

156 sw 1.8ts

seat ecu box full of water and corroded body computer fault the list is endless with this type of fault
big hammer fix time is it the 156
AO Member

Member car:

Volvo 440

Quote:
seat ecu box full of water and corroded body computer fault the list is endless with this type of fault
big hammer fix time is it the 156
Yep it's the 156gta, Hammer fix? i like the sound of that
Gerry gave me a name of someone on the south circular road, Cant remember the name for the life of me. I must find the wiring diagrams, see if i can find something interesting, sounds like fun anyways.
AO Member

Member car:

156 sw 1.8ts

yes this is the hatfull fault finding only way to find the problem is to replicate the fault and work your way back to its sorce witch if your paying for diagnostics can get a bit out of hand may be worth leaving until fault is present all the time or you can replicate it by doing somthing like using heated seat then it gets a lot easer(and cheaper ) to find fault
mo4
AO Member

Quote:
It's actually the low ampage before the car starts that triggers these warnings.
Got to do with the CCA of the battery.

Once the engine is running the power is being provided by the alternator immediately.
If amps drop at this point, or while driving, then its an alternator issue, but this is rare tbh and it's nearly always the CCA of the battery when it's a battery issue.

The most likely cause of these errors coming on while driving though is a faulty brake pedal switch, or less common a faulty wheel sensor (think its called a Hall type sensor so as 156SW says, cant be affected by ice).
Damien_C

And for anyone that doesn't understand CCA it's cold cranking amps of a battery.

AO Member

Member car:

Alfa-less :-(

I had the same problem this morning, it cleared itself eventually thankfully.
AO Member

County: Hertfordshire

Member car:

147 GTA

So my next obvious question and again i apologise if this has been asked before. Surely somebody must have worked out a solution to the handbrake freezing on? Different parts etc?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
abs , failure , vdc

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page