Goodbye 166, hello Stilo... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 28-11-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Longford
Goodbye 166, hello Stilo...

Well as the economic downturn is hitting Ireland hard, the wife lost her job & we'll be facing some pretty tough budgets for God knows how long I decided a few weeks ago to sell my beloved 166 as i'm pretty sure we'll be hit with road tax hikes, hikes in petrol prices i needed something that'll keep the costs of motoring in this bankrupt country down.

So after i sold her i went on the look out for something cheap. Four cars came to mind, Ranault Clio or Megane, & Fiat Punto or Stilo. I finally decided on a Stilo, their not exactly easy to find as they didn't sell well here (or anywhere) but that does mean if you can find one, they're generally cheap!! & so it turned out, i got a one owner late 2003 5dr Stilo (with alloys), 46k miles on the clock, for approx €2700. sale agreed valet & full service included by the dealer (a used car dealer-not a Fiat dealership)

Picked up the car two Saturdays ago, & drove it home to Longford (from Dublin-about 80 miles). Noticed a bit of a wobble from the front of the car, didn't think too much of it, but checked the front tyres to be on the safe side (this is November after all!) & noticed both were dangerously worn on the inside, so phoned the dealer to see how his mechanic could miss two tyres that were in such an awful/dangerous state, he apologised & agreed to pay for new tyres. So too the car to Advance Pitstop who diagnosed a worn front lower ball joint (i think) to be the problem. So sorted!

However today (like a dog with a bone) i refused to let the subject go, & i checked to see what sort of "service" the car was given. I generally service my own car, my wife's Punto & my old Lancia Dedra, & whilst i would admit that i'm no expert on the subject, i do know a few things. So in my mind a service of a car deals with the filters, plugs oil. So thats what i checked. Off came the air filter & it is filthy dirty, it must be in the car an awful long time. Then checked the oil, & whilst its at the right level (as is the coolant etc...) again its dirty, not what i'd expect from a car thats just been serviced! So i've taken photos of the stilos air filter & oil, & comparison pics against my wife's Punto's air filter & oil colour (as i serviced her car a few weeks ago) .

So, a phonecall me thinks tomorrow to see what he has to say. I'm not happy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

Stilo's are decent enough cars to be fair , i had a few on loan when the 147 was in Grrrrrrrrrrrandons for Warrenty but i do like them . FFS for a dealer (even a non franchised one) oil, filters and sparks would cost the bones of 50-60 yoyo's . Just goes to show sometimes a private seller is better than a stealer
Damien_C

Nice car but I never trust anyone to do work on a car that I do not personally know. And why I would have gotten money off the car and done all the work by either myself or someone I know that isn't a blithering idiot. I bet they just checked the oil and water and topped up both. You have to remember anything that they would have to change would be eating into their margin.

AO Silver Member

County: Cork
Hey Toby sorry to hear the 166 is gone... but you've done the decent thing and bought Italian again..... the best of luck with her.

Interesting to hear she had a "full Irish service" done on her before you picked her up... fair play for following up on it...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
166 , goodbye , stilo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page