Dishonest sellers - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 15 Old 27-11-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

147 Lusso

Dishonest sellers

I'm shocked at the amount of dishonest sellers out there describing their cars are perfect mint etc to discover their just sh!tters..

I looked at a 156 today in "perfect" nick to find it an almost non runner, dam thing would only start every 2nd or third turn of the key.. 2k for a 2001? He'd be doing well to get that!

Overpriced heaps, people like that disgust me..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 2.0 JTDm

Wanna post the link of that car ?
(Post Link) post #3 of 15 Old 27-11-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

147 Lusso

It was a local add I had seen in the paper. Does not seem to be on Donedeal or any of those sites..

Last edited by Tomasso; 27-11-10 at 17:30.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 2.0 JTDm

Oh, anyway to be honest not many alfa's out there are in great nick. Every ad I see it says that the timing belt's been changed, new tyres, just serviced etc. and when you go and see the car, it's just a let down.
(Post Link) post #5 of 15 Old 27-11-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

147 Lusso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterio View Post
Oh, anyway to be honest not many alfa's out there are in great nick. Every ad I see it says that the timing belt's been changed, new tyres, just serviced etc. and when you go and see the car, it's just a let down.
Ye exactly... it was a 1.6 I went out to look at so it would have been ideal. I am leaning more towards the 1.8 thoughs at the minute, same money and alot more power. Abit more road tax but who cares
AO Member

County: Meath

Member car:

Mito,Montreal.

must admit I had the same experience when looking for a 166 in the summer...
AO Silver Member

County: Cork
Hey Tomasso I know how frustrating this can be. I've wasted some time looking at Alfas. Some right mingers out there. And I do hate describing an Alfa as a minger. I wouldn't even mind a bit of suspension work or general servicing work but rotten damp seats, cigarette burns, taxi like 'smells' and rippled bodywork. No thanks.

I just need to take time off work and visit Ti Autos or someplace similar.
(Post Link) post #8 of 15 Old 27-11-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

147 Lusso

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherb View Post
Hey Tomasso I know how frustrating this can be. I've wasted some time looking at Alfas. Some right mingers out there. And I do hate describing an Alfa as a minger. I wouldn't even mind a bit of suspension work or general servicing work but rotten damp seats, cigarette burns, taxi like 'smells' and rippled bodywork. No thanks.

I just need to take time off work and visit Ti Autos or someplace similar.
I've looked at a few to date and have not come across an honest one yet. People just trying to pull the wool over my eyes.

I'm actually going to give Ti Autos a call and see if they have a 156 knocking about...Spoke to Gerry there before and he is a nice guy to say the least
AO Silver Member

County: Wicklow
My friend was trying to buy a Volvo S60 T5. Of course he didn't find any, but when he finally decided no to get a car from Ireland was when a dealer told him:
"If I knew the service history is that important I write one for you"

Also, when I bought the Focus, I only got the service history minutes before I handed over the money. When I went back to the place where it was allegedly serviced (Ford garage), they didn't know the car, it wasn't in their system at all. I guess I was lucky, in the last 10 years the car never let me down, but then again I always serviced it regularly in a Ford garage.
Damien_C

service history is non existent in ireland you buy a car here with your eyes and ears always. And your gut feeling if it's not right you walk away. It took me ages to find my 146 and again for the 156, I saw heaps of 147's and 156's that where all **** in varying degrees.

AO Silver Member

County: Longford
i think when it comes to selling cars few people seem to give a monkeys what sort of condition the car is in, or indeed how honest the advert is!! As said earlier the amount of "mint condition" motors out there is laughable! service history of any sort is quite difficult to come across & most vendors seem to be trying to hide things!! Have to admit when i sell a car i genuinely try to be as honest as i can & get anything fixed that would worry the next owner, i'd hate the thought of anyone driving away thinking i'd just done them!
(Post Link) post #12 of 15 Old 28-11-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

147 Lusso

When I sold my 147 to a guy I knew I was very honest with him that it had some issues. However the guy who sold me the 147 I am chasing up on him for a few quid back. Even if I only get 200 out of him it's somthing anyways. I lost nearly a grand in the past few weeks between buying and selling that 147....
Already rang him last week and he said he will think about it so I'm calling him again tommarow evening to put abit of pressure on him. He really done me up like a kipper....
AO Member

County: Arizona
Caveat Emptor I'm afraid..

My policy has always been to be up front about anything I know about. Offer to do the work (at additional cost) or let them know your quotes.
I won't lie about anything, but then again I'm not gonna check every nut and bolt. After all I've made the decision to sell, so why go through the hassle. It's up to the viewer to do their checks and be happy that they know what they are buying.

If something does happen to the car within first week I'm prepared to help out - but after a month, not a chance as I don't know what that person has been doing in that time. It's too easy for garages here to clock cars, do bad repair jobs to take anyone at their word. You have to check everything yourself when buying anything.

When I was looking for the 146 (a long time ago) I saw a few beauts. One was down in a local (non-alfa) dealer and was told they knew the original owners, blah, blah. Was in perfect nick, only 70k on it (was over 6 yrs old), so just under average mileage.
Getting in - noticed a lot of wear on the seats for 60k.
Lots of smoke out the back. Yes it was cold, but it was excessive.
Got it back and your man came out.. what do you know about the previous owner? Car was well serviced, blah, blah.. I open boot - red (car was red) paint in corners of the boot mat.. Been crashed? Not that we know of...
Open the bonnet, unscrew the radiator cap telling him was worried about smoke - everything check by them, all ok.. Well, why is there a cm thick piece of white gunge stuck on the radiator cap then? Oh! that shouldn't be like that - no **** sherlock. I walk away... Car was sold 2 wks later!!
(Post Link) post #14 of 15 Old 30-11-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

147 Lusso

Last edited by Tomasso; 30-11-10 at 17:11.
AO Member

County: Cork

Member car:

156 sw 1.8ts

just going back to service history isuse it just as bad between services phone call from 156 customer "can you tell me how mutch it is going to be to fix my bonnet realse its broken can open bonnet" was the start of call bla bla bla found out that it had been broken since august this call was last week! another ts engine will soon be going to the scrapper

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
dishonest , sellers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page