Opinions on this 156 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

Closed Thread

(Post Link) post #1 of 225 Old 25-11-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

147 Lusso

Opinions on this 156

Hi guys,

I'm not having a very good experience with my recently purchased 147, I paid too much for it and I'm just annoyed with various things going wrong! I may be flogging it to a cousin of mine who is going to work on it himself and I'm going to buy a 156 which is what I originally wanted.

Any opinions on this car?

Alfa Romeo 156 1.8t spark - €1,950 - Used Cars on Carzone.ie - New & Used Cars in Ireland

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Wicklow

Member car:

Giulia TI

Way overpriced with that Mileage. Carzone is ridiculous for prices. Gumtree and donedeal are your only men.
(Post Link) post #3 of 225 Old 25-11-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

147 Lusso

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat_lezerby View Post
Way overpriced with that Mileage. Carzone is ridiculous for prices. Gumtree and donedeal are your only men.
I would prefer to buy from a dealer. I'm put off buying privately because of the experience I had with the 147...

I'll have to get someone to look at the car for me as I dont want to make the same mistake twice.

Thanks for the opinion
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 2.0 JTDm

As you've probably learned your lesson with the 147. Don't buy cars with a "fresh" NCT, it's just a fluke. Regarding this 156, way too much money for that mileage, also no mention of service history, tax, car extras etc. I was thinking selling my 156 a while back, wanted to buy a 155 and I'm still thinking about it. But if you really want to see a proper 1.6 156, you should check out Damien's car if he's around Dublin with it. If you have a nose around it, then you will know how a proper 156 is supposed to be. Hope mine is even half as his

AO Gold Member

County: Kildare

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Looks clean but there is literally nothing in the ad describing service history, features etc. give them a ring to see what the service history is like.
AO Gold Member

County: Kildare

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Gerry in TI Auto's may have another one for sale, thats where Damo he got his, you could try there.
(Post Link) post #7 of 225 Old 25-11-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

147 Lusso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterio View Post
As you've probably learned your lesson with the 147. Don't buy cars with a "fresh" NCT, it's just a fluke. Regarding this 156, way too much money for that mileage, also no mention of service history, tax, car extras etc. I was thinking selling my 156 a while back, wanted to buy a 155 and I'm still thinking about it. But if you really want to see a proper 1.6 156, you should check out Damien's car if he's around Dublin with it. If you have a nose around it, then you will know how a proper 156 is supposed to be. Hope mine is even half as his
I'm truly annoyed with the 147 to say the least. I just want to get rid of it now and hopfully someone else will be able to put abit of time into it and make her shine.

155 would be cool
Let me know if your gonna sell your 156 as I may be interested if she's half decent
I have to sell my 147 first though...

I'd say a dealer will play hard ball when bargaining.....Though I knew that car was over priced anyways
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 2.0 JTDm

Well if you want to look at the 156 before "venturing" out there at the dealers, give me a PM in the weekend and I'll meet ya somewhere. I promise I'll clean it first
(Post Link) post #9 of 225 Old 25-11-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

147 Lusso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterio View Post
Well if you want to look at the 156 before "venturing" out there at the dealers, give me a PM in the weekend and I'll meet ya somewhere. I promise I'll clean it first
Ye I'd like to take a look at it thanks
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 2.0 JTDm

Sound, I'll leave you a PM with my no and give us a shout saturday or sunday.
AO Member

Member car:

2006 159 1.9JTDM

PM sent to Tomasso
(Post Link) post #12 of 225 Old 30-11-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

147 Lusso

I rang up about the red Alfa in the original post earlier. The guy sounded nice enough however I told him it was too expensive and he says how much were you thinking about spending? I told him 1700 ish and he said sure you can have it for 1500 if ya want? Hmm he must be itching to get rid of it... Put me off it after he said that.
Gives the impression that theres somthing wrong with it.
AO Silver Member

County: Galway
is it a 1.6 or a 1.8? ad title says 1.8 but description says 1.6... i personally wouldnt buy a car off someone who isnt able to put the correct info down on a sheet of paper, like when they say air conditioning and the pictures show that it clearly doesnt
is he offering any guarantee with it? the fact that you said 1700 and he shot himself in the foot by saying he'll take 1500 could be another warning sign, just went down 450e in the space of a 2min phonecall! unless maybe hes desperate for money like we all are
(Post Link) post #14 of 225 Old 30-11-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

147 Lusso

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear1 View Post
is it a 1.6 or a 1.8? ad title says 1.8 but description says 1.6... i personally wouldnt buy a car off someone who isnt able to put the correct info down on a sheet of paper, like when they say air conditioning and the pictures show that it clearly doesnt
is he offering any guarantee with it? the fact that you said 1700 and he shot himself in the foot by saying he'll take 1500 could be another warning sign, just went down 450e in the space of a 2min phonecall! unless maybe hes desperate for money like we all are
It's a 1.8 according to him...A few days ago the ad read that the car had 125k on the clock, now it says it has 89k?

He said there was no guarantee with it....He offered to meet me somewhere to show me the car as he has no liability insurance to allow me to view it at his yard.....I'm not sure what he meant by that? Incase I slip in the snow or something? He says he sells cars to the trade and it would benefit me buying it off him as its cheaper. I really dont know what he was on about......He said all the wrong things in my opinion and just gave me a bad impression.
AO Silver Member

ALFA ROMEO 156 ,2003 for sale in Wexford: €2,500 - DoneDeal.ie

not bad but not a lot of info about it.

*** CHEAP ALFA ROMEO 156 FOR SALE *** for sale in Longford: €800 - DoneDeal.ie

same spec as the red one just silver, good looking car though, alloys and skirts really compliment it

03 ALFA ROMEO 156 SPORTIVO 1.6 for sale in Dublin: €2,150 - DoneDeal.ie

serioulsy good looking car! fairly cheap for the year and spec, AC and elec windows all round
AO Silver Member

run a mile! car is more than likely clocked! i dont understand how buying off him is cheaper, basically its a private sale what a moron. correct, liability insurance means that if you hurt yourself whilst on his property then you are covered whereas if you are hurt in his yard and he has no insurance then he could be sued and fork out extra for the injury. never heard of that excuse though... sounds like he doesnt want you to know where he is living. if your head tells you something isnt right more than likely it isnt. i wish i could help you further, id show you my car but im off to Europe tomorrow for a conference and im taking my bella with me only because its in Germany though
(Post Link) post #17 of 225 Old 30-11-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

147 Lusso

Quote:
ALFA ROMEO 156 ,2003 for sale in Wexford: €2,500 - DoneDeal.ie

not bad but not a lot of info about it.

*** CHEAP ALFA ROMEO 156 FOR SALE *** for sale in Longford: €800 - DoneDeal.ie

same spec as the red one just silver, good looking car though, alloys and skirts really compliment it

03 ALFA ROMEO 156 SPORTIVO 1.6 for sale in Dublin: €2,150 - DoneDeal.ie

serioulsy good looking car! fairly cheap for the year and spec, AC and elec windows all round
I seem to be learning the hard way that cheaply advertised cars are usually buckets!

I'm looking to spend 1,800 max on a car, I'd rather an older one in perfect nick then a newer one with problems. I seem to be meeting lots of problematic 156's for sale. Just can't feckn find a good one. 5 cars I've looked at the past few weeks with immaculate descriptions only to find loads of serious hidden problems.
AO Silver Member

(Post Link) post #19 of 225 Old 30-11-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

147 Lusso

Quote:
run a mile! car is more than likely clocked! i dont understand how buying off him is cheaper, basically its a private sale what a moron. correct, liability insurance means that if you hurt yourself whilst on his property then you are covered whereas if you are hurt in his yard and he has no insurance then he could be sued and fork out extra for the injury. never heard of that excuse though... sounds like he doesnt want you to know where he is living. if your head tells you something isnt right more than likely it isnt. i wish i could help you further, id show you my car but im off to Europe tomorrow for a conference and im taking my bella with me only because its in Germany though
Oh well enjoy your trip..... I might enquire about this one and see what its all about?

Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 - €1,650 - Used Cars on Carzone.ie - New & Used Cars in Ireland
AO Silver Member

AO Silver Member

seems alright, just a bit basic... dont really like that the cigarette pouch is a different colour... ill try to enjoy it, the missus stays at home! autobahn here i come!
(Post Link) post #22 of 225 Old 30-11-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

147 Lusso

Quote:
seems alright, just a bit basic... dont really like that the cigarette pouch is a different colour... ill try to enjoy it, the missus stays at home! autobahn here i come!
Autobahn ye

It seems basic but I can source the teledials for it and it would be grand! I'll give them a bell in the morning and see if they still have it knocking about... If shes mechanicly/electricaly sound then thats good enough for me
AO Silver Member

do you have fiatecuscan and an obdII cable? i know you are probably wondering wtf is that, i was the same! maybe its worth asking a member to go with you who has this equipment and check if there are any faults registered with the ecu, it would tell you more or less what the car is like without listening to the bull**** of the dealer. if its wheels that you are after then give this lad a call, hes not that popular on here but he has what you're looking for and they are being sold for a good price:

alfa 156 1.6 for sale in Cork: €1,500 - DoneDeal.ie

i would say that if you tell him you were referred to from Alfaowner he might give you a bit of a discount...
AO Silver Member

gonna try and break the satnavs indicated 227kph top speed, i know she'll do more! not bad though i suppose for a 9 year old alfa
AO Silver Member

Closed Thread

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
156 , opinions

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page