looking for 156 2.0l gearbox? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

propellorhead

looking for 156 2.0l gearbox?

Hello gents, I had a run up to inniskillen in the weekend. It was great fun but I found the gearing increasingly annoying at motorway speeds. Its like the engine still has plenty to give but runs out of gears.

I have a 147 1.6 ts btw, and was thinking the gearing from a 2.0l gearbox would be alot better on the motorway (obviously sacrificing some acceleration). Next question is I know the engines are more or less the same but are the gearboxes the same between the 156 and 147? The reason I'm thinkin 156 is because you can pick an entire car up for buttons at the minute, and of course if there happened to be a 2.0l engine lying round for future implant all the better

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

Brera 2.0 JTDm

Should be doable, but time consuming. Good luck anyway
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
The selector mechanism on top of the gearboxes are different between a 156 and a 147 but they can be easily swapped over, doesn't take much to do this at all. The gearboxes are the same other than that, and the ratios.
mo4
AO Member

County: -
Dont fit a 2.0L box to a 1.6 car.
You dont have enough torques in the 1.6 and it will be a slug. Alot of design and maths goes into selecting the correct final drive and gear ratios for the torque curve of the engine and you'll end up with a pig of a car if you change this.
The other way round is fine - in fact I've a 1.4 box in the shed ready to go into the 155 and it'll be a rocket!
propellorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo4 View Post
You dont have enough torques in the 1.6 and it will be a slug. Alot of design and maths goes into selecting the correct final drive and gear ratios for the torque curve of the engine and you'll end up with a pig of a car if you change this.
The other way round is fine - in fact I've a 1.4 box in the shed ready to go into the 155 and it'll be a rocket!
Thats all I was afraid of tbh mo4 but as we're planning on doing a fair bit of long distance in the 147 I could live with (slightly) reduced accelleration for a more leggy final drive. I mean the thing is revving at 4k at motorway speeds!. I'd say your 155 will be a rocket off the line mind but you'd still lose that nice cruising speed. A 2.0l would be revving the same as a 1.4 with the same gearbox right? Also how strong would a 1.4 gearbox be with a 2.0l lump ragging it through the gears? I know its a bit different but I had a mate creamed an xr3i gearbox that he put into his rs turbo, just could'nt take the torque (or maybe his driving style!).
Thanks for the info though, If it really would be that sluggish I might hang on till I can pick up an old 2.0l 156 and just bosh engine AND gearbox into the 147, hmm..

Damien_C

Quote:
Wanna be careful you don't shatter the 1.4 box shafts as one of the lads I know did taking of rather quickly with his engine converted car.

mo4
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by propellorhead View Post
I mean the thing is revving at 4k at motorway speeds!
Yes the 1.6L 147 I have does just under 4k rpm at 120kmh, the 2.0L in the 155 is at 3500rpm at 120. The 166 is slightly higher revving than the 155 so not all 2.0L boxes have the same drive ratio.
So yes there would be less noise and slightly better fuel consumption, but the problem is that you'll get worse comsumption everywhere else becasue you'll have to load the engine more just to drive around town etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by propellorhead View Post
Also how strong would a 1.4 gearbox be with a 2.0l lump ragging it through the gears? I know its a bit different but I had a mate creamed an xr3i gearbox that he put into his rs turbo, just could'nt take the torque (or maybe his driving style!).
Luckily with the twinny boxes they are all the same, just the final drive cog that's different, although some have a longer 1st gear too.
Apparently these boxes are good for 200+bhp!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_C View Post
Wanna be careful you don't shatter the 1.4 box shafts as one of the lads I know did taking of rather quickly with his engine converted car.
Yep whenever moving away from the standard there's always extra risk of something going wrong - alot depends on the condition of the box before hand and that the right oil is in it.
Trick is to get a good low miler gearbox.
Damien_C

The internals of the box are fine they are of the same quality of the 2l it's the drive shafts that I would be worried about just wouldn't be doing full bore starts in it. That for the track car yes? Wheel hop will kill the shafts etc and there not cheap lol. I've had to buy a few before.

mo4
AO Member

The shafts are seperate to the gearbox and not part of it, so in the case of the 155 I'll obviously be leaving the original shafts in the car rather than sticking ones from a 1.4/1.6 into it.
tbh the biggest problem with this type of conversion is getting up hills on days like today!
propellorhead

[QUOTE=tbh the biggest problem with this type of conversion is getting up hills on days like today![/QUOTE]

LOL! I spun the 147 today out on the batterstown road, I was being a d*ck seeing how far I could drive down the road sideways. Quite far as it transpired! no damage, just a bruised ego

Great info on the 'boxes though, Thanks again

Damien_C

Quote:
The shafts are seperate to the gearbox and not part of it, so in the case of the 155 I'll obviously be leaving the original shafts in the car rather than sticking ones from a 1.4/1.6 into it.
tbh the biggest problem with this type of conversion is getting up hills on days like today!
Nice, didn't realise you could swap out the shafts like that. I was told otherwise before or I would have a 1.4 box in the 156 as the 1.6 box is ****.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
156 , 20l , gearbox

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page