New Tyres For The GTV - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 69 Old 23-11-10 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

County: Kildare

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

New Tyres For The GTV

Hi Lads
I'm wondering if you can help me. With the cold snap on the way I am after a new set of tyres for all year use. I have a number for a fella in Bray that quoted me 90 each for Federals and 85 each for Accelera incl. fitting and balancing.
Trouble is I know sweet f.a. about tyres are Federals or Accelera any good? I like the Avon ones I have on the front at the moment, the Eagle F1's that I have on the back are way to noisy. Most people on the GTV section recommend Toyo Proxies and I know Damo is always singing their praises.
If I were to order some from camskill what are my options on getting them fitted?

Cheers in advance

Gav

Like AO - RoI on Facebook AO - RoI Facebook Group

Subscribe to AO - RoI on YouTube AO RoI YouTube

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Cogito ergo sumo Alfa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

County: Cork
Garage
No idea about those tyres but if you are going to buy tyres online make sure you find a fitter 1st as not all will fit tyres unless they supply them.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Gav, there's a guy in Maynooth that will fit tyres-on the road that leads off the Main St. on the way out to Tesco, take the right after the Avenue Restaurant. Otherwise, I can recommend a few other places. I'm sure your cousin could get the alloy wheel repair guys to fit them for you as well.

I just took a set of Toyos off the GT. Was generally pleased with them. Decent value, even if I got less than 20,000 miles (the JTD will be heavier on tyres than the GTV I'd say). Got them on Camskill. Would buy them again.

Cowboys Ted, they're a bunch of cowboys!
(Post Link) post #4 of 69 Old 23-11-10 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCOVICH View Post
Gav, there's a guy in Maynooth that will fit tyres-on the road that leads off the Main St. on the way out to Tesco, take the right after the Avenue Restaurant. Otherwise, I can recommend a few other places. I'm sure your cousin could get the alloy wheel repair guys to fit them for you as well.

I just took a set of Toyos off the GT. Was generally pleased with them. Decent value, even if I got less than 20,000 miles (the JTD will be heavier on tyres than the GTV I'd say). Got them on Camskill. Would buy them again.
Cheers Ciaran, I might give camskill a go then, I'll call the fella that gave me the quote as he's the same fella that refurbs the wheels he also does a line in partially used tyres but I don't really like the sound of that!

Thanks again lads.
AO Silver Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

Brera 2.0 JTDm

There's a crowd up in Blanchardstown that are really good when it comes to tyres. Can't remember the name to save my life though. I think Paddy knows them, IIRC he bought the PS3's from there. For the tyres I can't give you any advice (Pirelli's p6000 owner ) but I heard the falken fk452's are supposed to be pretty good.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTV Gav View Post
Cheers Ciaran, I might give camskill a go then, I'll call the fella that gave me the quote as he's the same fella that refurbs the wheels he also does a line in partially used tyres but I don't really like the sound of that!

Thanks again lads.

Don't forget to try Eiretyres.com also, I got a set off them last week & got them delivered straight to my tyre fitter so no messing around waiting for delivery or having to take them to the fitter

PS I got a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE050, excellent tyres but not cheap.
(Post Link) post #7 of 69 Old 23-11-10 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

And the next nubee question is T1R or CF1 what is the difference? T1R is rated W or 270kph and the other one is V(240kph)
(Post Link) post #8 of 69 Old 23-11-10 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by David P View Post
Don't forget to try Eiretyres.com also, I got a set off them last week & got them delivered straight to my tyre fitter so no messing around waiting for delivery or having to take them to the fitter

PS I got a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE050, excellent tyres but not cheap.
I like the look of them are they worth the extra What would be the difference?
AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire
Always had Avons on our GTVs. I don't like Federals on anything as a general rule but makes can vary from size to size and tread pattern. Just make sure you find the tyre's limits before they find you.
(Post Link) post #10 of 69 Old 23-11-10 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Double Six View Post
Always had Avons on our GTVs. I don't like Federals on anything as a general rule but makes can vary from size to size and tread pattern. Just make sure you find the tyre's limits before they find you.
I'll say nothing!!

Just based on a few reviews I think the Toyo's are the ones I'll be going for. I usually much prefer to go Irish when buying things but the same 4 tyres from eiretyres is €366 compared to camskill for €331, at least vicariously we'll be getting the money back

Garage
Quote:
I like the look of them are they worth the extra €€ What would be the difference?
I had Goodyear F1 GSD2 on my 1st 147 & I think the Bridgestones are better, I'm on my 3rd set now & won't be fitting anything else to the 147, great grip & not bad mileage for a performance tyre I get between 20 -24K Kms out of them.

Quote:
I'll say nothing!!

Just based on a few reviews I think the Toyo's are the ones I'll be going for. I usually much prefer to go Irish when buying things but the same 4 tyres from eiretyres is €366 compared to camskill for €331, at least vicariously we'll be getting the money back
Eiretyres aren't Irish anyway
(Post Link) post #12 of 69 Old 23-11-10 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by David P View Post
Eiretyres aren't Irish anyway
Thanks for telling me that, I was about to take the 35 quid hit just for the sake of going Irish. What a stupid and deceptive name!
AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire
Quote:
I'll say nothing!!

I take it you don't like Avons!
(Post Link) post #14 of 69 Old 23-11-10 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Double Six View Post
I take it you don't like Avons!
There fine actually but its the finding the limit bit that I'm worried about!!
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Gav, the place in Blanchardstown is Discount Tyres

Discount Tyre + Auto services - money saving vouchers
Damien_C

Ferderals and accleras are crap. Get a set of RE050's there pricey but epic tyres.

(Post Link) post #17 of 69 Old 23-11-10 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Cheers lads
AO Silver Member

County: Wicklow
Once you decided about the tyre, call the local garage opposite Superquinn, and ask them if they'd match the price. If you do the 4 wheel alignement there, they probably would.

You can also review tyres on the linked pages on eiretyres (click on some major brand's product, and the links to the test will be there.

I can also ask a guy who works in the trade to pick the best of the 3-4 you were considering.
(Post Link) post #19 of 69 Old 24-11-10 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

I had a gool look through the reviews on eiretires and I have settled on the Toyo's, you could compare and contrast ountil you're crosseyed but in the end for the type of driving I'll be doing the difference would be un-noticible except for tyre noise, Gerry almost gave out to me because of the noise of those Eagle F1's!

I might try that place alright Klap they are nice fella's in there and seem to know their stuff.

Thanks again lads.
Damien_C

The proxes will wear quickly.

mo4
AO Member

County: -
The first set of Toyo Proxes I had about 7 years ago were great - high grip, low noise, progressive grip and reasonably long lasting.
However these tyres are not the same as they were - my last set of them ast year wore away in 15k miles (on the same car that I've had all the time).
On a track day these melted too, whereas the earlier sets were ok.

So to me these latest Toyo tyres are not the same, very fast wearing with very weak sidewalls.

Tyres that I more recently found to be good were Conti Rainsports and Kumho KU31 Sport.
Both are an excellent tyres and the Kumhos are very long lasting.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

gav there is a lad 5 minutes from my storage place in baldonnel who will fit tyres for you. if you giv him the wheel and tyre its about €10 or €15, i remember we had to do it for the 33 but with the tyres on the car I'm not sure how much
(Post Link) post #23 of 69 Old 25-11-10 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Cheers Mark.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

oh and regarding tyres i have potenzas, they are on it since i bought her. they have done close to 15000 miles and are still in great nick but the grip i get from them is really good. Fair enough the 155 is a great handling car anyway but you really can feel the road with them, would strongly recommend althoug a wee bit on the noisy side
AO Member

Member car:

156 GTA

Best tyres I've ever used are Michelin Pilot Exalto 2's. Had them on the Clio 172 for a while. Toyo T1R's are value for money but both the sidewalls and compound are very soft. I used get 8,000m (inc. a trackday) from a set of fronts, but they were cheap enough that they were easily replaceable. Some people complain about their ultimate wet weather grip, but if you're being sensible then it's never an issue. I had a DC2 Integra Type R for a while that had RE050's and they were a fine tyre also.

Not sure what size wheels are on the GTV but Goodyear Eagle F1 Asy's only come in 17 and bigger and I wouldn't bother with the F1 GSD3 anymore, as they're discontinued and I've no idea how places are still stocking them. It begs the question as to where they're getting them in from and whether they're E marked. Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta are supposed to be very good, but again, not available in smaller than 17.

Worst premium tyre I've ever used was the Yokohama Parada SpecII. Avoid. It's as simple as that. Really, really poor in anything but bone dry conditions.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
gtv , tyres

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page