2.0 or 1.8 ? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 23-11-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

alfa 156 2.0TS

Hmmm 2.0 or 1.8 ?

Right lads im gonna pick your brains a little here..I had a 01 2.0 selespeed 156 and a dozy delivery driver drove into the side of her slightly denting the two passenger side doors his insurers told me to get a couple of quotes. So off I went to my local AR dealers they quoted ... 3666.45 !! I went mental! so went to a local panel beater and he said 450 now that seemed normal so I gave the insurers a call back and they asked for the dealers quote so I told them and they said "sorry but your cars a write off" They didnt ask if I got other quotes! so I told them I didnt want it written off cos she still drove very well so they said ok we'll give you the value of the car minus the scrap value and let you keep the car so I thought thats grand I'll get some other little things fixed aswell so they gave me 1400 so I went back to the panel beater and he changed his mind about the price said he didnt check properly and that i needed 2 new doors so off i went i then decided to just buy a new alfa. I found a 00 156 2.0 ts advertised for 1k with tax & test i went to look at it and was impressed. Except for it was badged 1.8 and looking at the tax disc was registered as one too! so i said this is advertised as a 2 litre and he told me the engine was changed but he didnt know why but that it was defo a 2L. So I offered him 800 and got the car now it feels just as powerful as the selespeed but the engine looks smaller to me even taking into account the a/c comp on the sele . Now how would i find out what size is the engine? sorry about the essay by the way
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

mo4
AO Member

County: -
Firstly, no one else's insurance can write off your car for financial reasons. You are entitled to have it repaired (even at AR prices).

WRT the engine the 1.8 and 2.0L are both the same size physically, as in fact are the 1.4 and 1.6.
To check which it is you can either get the engine number off the block or open up the timing casing and have a look. If it's a 2.0L it will have a balance belt as well as timing belt..

btw if its registered as a 1.8 then it will be NCT emissions tested as a 1.8, but will give the results of a 2.0L. Not too sure if it matters but for various reasons, if it was me and it is a 2.0L engine I'd re-register it as that.
AO Silver Member

County: Wicklow
put it on a rolling road after a mini service
AO Silver Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

also if you were to be involved in an accident and somehow it got on the report that it is a 2litre the insurance company would be asking why you are insuring it as a 1.8 and you would not be in a good position then my friend

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page