Gearbox shagged-what to do? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

wiseguy

Gearbox shagged-what to do?

Evening all,

My Sele has been playing up so got around to get it checked out yesterday. The bad news is that 3rd gear has gone awol which means getting box out of the car and cracking it open.

The killer is that labour is going to around a grand plus another 6-800 euro on parts (if I'm lucky). Which means I end up spending more than the car is worth. I can't in all honesty justify spending this but the thought of consigning the car to the scrapheap is very depressing. I've had it 6 years so you could say I've had my use out of it but it's like a family member at this stage...not counting I've also recently just spent the guts of a grand getting it serviced and belts done.

So you can see my dilemma. Is there another way or do I just the therapy and prozac now

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Damien_C

I have a gearbox here from a 145 cloverleaf if it's any use to you I'll leave it go for small money and can del it to ya also.

AO Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

Volvo 440

Was just gonna suggest forgetting about repairing it, get ur mechanic to just put a new box in, surely it wouldnt cost more than 8-900, and less if you take damos one off him.
wiseguy

Cheers damo, I assume that would slot straight in with all the selespeed bits, no? I got a garage in dublin to check so that's the mad labour rate. Just need to check that my local guy would be open to fitting it.

Damien_C

Well, I know the casiings are different but the box came from a low mile engine but I also have 3rd and 4th syncros in my house too if you want to buy them they are brand new OEM Alfa parts not sure if they are the same as the Sele box but you never know. All I know about the sele box is that it is basically the same as a standard manual box just with a robotized clutch and gear linkage.

AO Silver Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

wiseguy have you checked any breakers yards? gearboxs shouldnt be too expensive from them
wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_C View Post
Well, I know the casiings are different but the box came from a low mile engine but I also have 3rd and 4th syncros in my house too if you want to buy them they are brand new OEM Alfa parts not sure if they are the same as the Sele box but you never know. All I know about the sele box is that it is basically the same as a standard manual box just with a robotized clutch and gear linkage.
Thanks Damo, I've found a 156 box near to me for reasonable money so will probably go for this. Now to convince my local spannerman to put it in for me!

roeburndale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_C View Post
All I know about the sele box is that it is basically the same as a standard manual box just with a robotized clutch and gear linkage.
Sele is box is basically the same but has a lower 1st gear and is not interchangable with a non sele box

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy View Post
Thanks Damo, I've found a 156 box near to me for reasonable money so will probably go for this. Now to convince my local spannerman to put it in for me!
Make sure it is a sele box, a normal manual one will not accept the selespeed actuator

wiseguy

Had this confirmed earlier by rarebear so back to square one

roeburndale

Quote:
Had this confirmed earlier by rarebear so back to square one
Have you tried Autolusso, they will ship parts anywhere

wiseguy

I see that they have a sele box on ebay so will give them a bell.

Damien_C

Quote:
No bother man hope you get it sorted.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
gearbox , shaggedwhat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page