Viewing a 156 Wednesday evening - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 106 Old 02-11-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

147 Lusso

Viewing a 156 Wednesday evening

Hiya,

Is there anyone here who could have a look over a 156 for me tommarow evening? I am going out to view a 01' 1.6 NCT'd until 2011' in Dublin 13. Guy informs me the car is running grand but it is due a service. He does not sound overly confidant about what he is telling me so thats why I'd like someone who knows their Alfas to have a look. Don't want to be lumbered with something in need of expensive repairs.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomasso View Post
Hiya,

Is there anyone here who could have a look over a 156 for me tommarow evening? I am going out to view a 01' 1.6 NCT'd until 2011' in Dublin 13. Guy informs me the car is running grand but it is due a service. He does not sound overly confidant about what he is telling me so thats why I'd like someone who knows their Alfas to have a look. Don't want to be lumbered with something in need of expensive repairs.

Thanks
PM damien_c he knows his stuff , I am sure he will go if he's free ?
AO Silver Member

County: Wicklow
Dublin 13? Can you bring the car over to Gerry to put it on the ramp? AFAIK it will cost you 50 euros, but it's worth it...
AO Gold Member

County: Kildare

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by klapanciusz View Post
Dublin 13? Can you bring the car over to Gerry to put it on the ramp? AFAIK it will cost you 50 euros, but it's worth it...
+1 to that if you are tempted to buy it, it would be money well spent but if it is obvious that it is a crock I'd say leave it. Key thing with buying Alfa's is service history above anything else.
(Post Link) post #5 of 106 Old 02-11-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

147 Lusso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dermo View Post
PM damien_c he knows his stuff , I am sure he will go if he's free ?
I sent that lad a pm so I'll see what happens..
I'm meeting this guy at around 6pm, gonna be a bugger with traffic getting out there from Tallaght for that time.
Not sure if any garages are gonna be open at that time to get it on a ramp for inspection

Just looking for someone to take it for a 15 minute spin for me to see if it's a good show or no show etc. He says he has no service
history with the car....It's almost 10 years old I suppose what sort of history should I be looking at? It has 67k on the clock but as I said he informs me it is due a service. I dont mind paying someone here a few quid for their time..

Tom
AO Silver Member

County: Wicklow
Alfa with no service history? I wouldn't bother... that means that you'll have to get the timing belt changed in the first 30 seconds of ownership - and even that would push it......
(Post Link) post #7 of 106 Old 02-11-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

147 Lusso

Quote:
Alfa with no service history? I wouldn't bother... that means that you'll have to get the timing belt changed in the first 30 seconds of ownership - and even that would push it......
He is looking for 1,200 for it, not hugh money. I would expect to do a timing belt on it anyways. I can't see the reg in the picture online so I cannot do any checks on it before I go out. It could be a CROCK of ***** or it could be cheap sound car that I can knock about it for a year or two until I buy a nicer Alfa. Hmm not sure what to do.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 2.0 JTDm

As klap said. No service history, no timing belt done, maybe top wishbones to be done. I'd stay away from it, and also that you said that yer man didn't know what he was talking about.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Definately doesn't sound to promising to be honest there are plenty out there so you can easily save yourself some hassle. Have you got a link to the ad thtat you can share with us.
Also, bat_lezerby on here is selling his, it's very nicely spec'd and has had a major service (belts and plugs)
Alfa Romeo 156 for sale in Wicklow: €2,150 - DoneDeal.ie
(Post Link) post #10 of 106 Old 02-11-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

147 Lusso

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTV Gav View Post
Definately doesn't sound to promising to be honest there are plenty out there so you can easily save yourself some hassle. Have you got a link to the ad thtat you can share with us.
Also, bat_lezerby on here is selling his, it's very nicely spec'd and has had a major service (belts and plugs)
Alfa Romeo 156 for sale in Wicklow: €2,150 - DoneDeal.ie
Thanks for that link above but I cannot afford to tax a 1.8L car...
AO Member

Member car:

Volvo 440

No history at all on a 10 year old car sounds abit dubious alright. on the bright side, if you buy it and it falls apart, i've a few parts lying in my basement i can sell you!
AO Gold Member

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Is it that the car has never been serviced or that they have lost the book with all the stamps etc. in it?
Damien_C

Quote:
Would ya believe I bought my 146 with out an once of service history and the car is still going today and it survived 34k miles of my abuse. Irish people are murder for not bothering keeping reciepts so I would just buy a car on condidition rather than anything else and if it doesn't feel right walk away.

AO Member

Member car:

Volvo 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_C View Post
Would ya believe I bought my 146 with out an once of service history and the car is still going today and it survived 34k miles of my abuse. Irish people are murder for not bothering keeping reciepts so I would just buy a car on condidition rather than anything else and if it doesn't feel right walk away.
I agree, if it doesnt rattle like a skeleton having a peddle in a biscuit tin, or sound like a diesel on startup, go for it!
my first 156 had no history, and i had no problems i didnt cause myself.
AO Member

Member car:

156 1.8TS

I would definitely keep away from it. No service histoyry-walk away. There isn't a huge difference in tax on the 1.8 and 1.6. 471 v 551. Also the power difference is greater than you might think.

The black one in Wicklow for 2150 would appear a better deal. I have 132,000 miles on mine and it still feels the same when I bought it at 62k. It's been serviced religiously by me and the previous owner at TI Autos.
Damien_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy1982 View Post
I agree, if it doesnt rattle like a skeleton having a peddle in a biscuit tin, or sound like a diesel on startup, go for it!
my first 156 had no history, and i had no problems i didnt cause myself.
Yep, honestly even with all the history in the world you still can have problems. I wouldn't be too caught up on it. Ya it's nice to have and all but just buy a car with brain and sure what does it cost ya a tenner in fuel I wouldn't be too worried. But Bat's car on here is what I would be looking at to be honest.

AO Member

County: Meath

Member car:

Mito,Montreal.

there is a bazillion 156s on the market, wait 10mins and get one with a least some idea of when the belts were last done.
AO Member

Member car:

156 1.8TS

I'm tending to disagree on service history not mattering. Another advantage of a service history from a reputable dealer is that the mileage will be written down in the book by the mechanic. Are you sure of this cars actual mileage????? With belts, variator and a service you'll be looking at at €1000 to bring this car to a state where you can drive it with any confidence of knowing the cambelt won't go.

There are a bazillion 156's on the market alright and you won't have much trouble getting a good one. Be patient and get a good one, it won't dissapoint.
Damien_C

It's a 1k car I wouldn't be holding my breath but hey ya never know. Honestly I would always do belts on an Alfa regardless if they where "done" as most people will just say or do the tip ex job on the cambelt cover so that wouldn't bother me. Variators make noise but don't do any damage when they are worn and you don't need to buy a full variator all you need to do it buy the rebuild kit from Alfa for about 30 euro.

As I said when you are talking about a car for a grand you buy with your eyes and ears and if it doesn't feel right walk away there is plenty of others out there.

(Post Link) post #20 of 106 Old 02-11-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

147 Lusso

There are plenty of them out there in my budget range but their all 1.8's and insurance is abit much on them. I rang my insurance the other evening and they wanted almost 40% more on my insurance monthly payments for the 1.8! Plus the road tax is topping it off as an unrealistic option for me. It just has to be the 1.6 from a financial point of view. Currently I'm driving a ridiculous 1.3 Mitsubishi lancer which has to go! I'll push it off a cliff soon enough haha
AO Member

Member car:

156 1.8TS

I have no doubt you'll enjoy a 156 more that the lancer. If you're on a budget (as we all are) it's important to get a 156 that is serviced up to date. Otherwise your bills may get scary. Pity the insurance is so much more expensive. 40% seems bizarre.

This forum is a good source for cars too. It's unlikely regular posters on the forum will give you a bum steet too.

Good luck with your search.
AO Member

Member car:

156 1.8TS

I'm not a fan of japanese cars, esp fairly ordinary saloons. I drove a Nissan hire car once. It felt like a piloting a wheelbarrow, but not as nice looking.
AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

I was looking at this dealer so might get it cheap but its a bit away .. take your time and look at a few but if its a 1000 K car remember that a Timing belt and the odd few bits could run to 5 or 600 yoyos?

01 Alfa 156 1.6 for sale in Waterford: €1,695 - DoneDeal.ie
AO Member

Member car:

Volvo 440

I drove one of them 1.3 lancers! Not pleasant at all. Any alfa is gonna feel like a lambo compared to that thing!
There are plenty for sale alright, but it is cheap, i guess just ask him how long he's had the car, if he's had it more than a year without a service i'd say its a timing belt service that has to be done, which will cost u abit but then your set up for trouble free motoring for 3 years!
You could keep an eye for one with abit more history that meets your spec, depends on how much of a rush your in to change.
(Post Link) post #25 of 106 Old 02-11-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

147 Lusso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy1982 View Post
I drove one of them 1.3 lancers! Not pleasant at all. Any alfa is gonna feel like a lambo compared to that thing!
There are plenty for sale alright, but it is cheap, i guess just ask him how long he's had the car, if he's had it more than a year without a service i'd say its a timing belt service that has to be done, which will cost u abit but then your set up for trouble free motoring for 3 years!
You could keep an eye for one with abit more history that meets your spec, depends on how much of a rush your in to change.
He said he only had the car 4 months and the reason he is selling it is because he has a company van. He said he bought the car for 2.5k but I dont believe that
He has not had the car serviced since he bought it so he is taking into consideration the fact it will need a service hence asking very little for it. I'm told it has only 67k on the clock and NCT'd until june 2011 so it does not sound that bad.

If the car is smoking, rattling, knocking, grinding gears, slipping clutch etc I'll be walking away anyways..

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
156 , evening , viewing , wednesday

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page