156 to 155 to 0 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 56 Old 20-10-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 GTA & 155ish

156 to 155 to 0

Guys,

Parked up my GTA at the end of September, took out a lovely 155 I found in my back garden, got the wheels sorted from Dave here in the forum and basically spent more getting the car right than I spent on the car itself. Happy days.... or so I thought. Testing the "bounce" on the rev limiter on the way home last night I destroyed the engine.... massive clunking from low down and more than likely bottom bearing gone and engine not worth being repaired. Will know more tomorrow but wondering does anyone know where I could source a 2nd hand 155 2.0L 16V engine. New timing belt, new water pump, new discs and pads front and back, same old doghouse when I tell wife tonight......

Rory
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

County: Cork
Garage
Sorry to hear that Rory

I can't help with the engine but hopefully someone else can though, it'd be a shame not to be able to get it back on the road after all your work on it

PS Maybe worth starting a thread on here also
AO Gold Member

County: Kildare

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

More bad news today, sorry to hear that Rory, I'll definately keep an eye out for any engines for sale.
Damien_C

Pm Franko here, he has a 155 2l engine may have a decent crank in it.

mo4
AO Member

County: -
Sad news Insidius

I had one let go on me too after hitting the limiter.
I'd wager on number 3 big end being squished. If you've driven it far like this then they can throw the conrod and cap out the front of the block.
If so then you're right to replace the engine. Obviosuly see what's in there when you open it up first, but it doesn't sound good I'm sorry.

The trick is getting a good engine, but you can stick any 16v 2 litre block in there from a 146, 147, 156 etc. Your's might have an EGR valve and if so you'll have to take the exhaust manifold and gasket with the donor engine.

Hope there isn't something big and round missing when you open it up - like this
(Post Link) post #6 of 56 Old 21-10-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 GTA & 155ish

Guys,

thanks for the replys. Interesting to see a 156 engine can be used. Far more plentiful than a 155 these days. Perhaps there is light at the end of the tunnel. I guess I'll have no excuses for the next Cork meet....
AO Silver Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

yep get your hands on any 2.0 TS engine from a 146/156 etc. they are the same its just a differnt management system afaik. There is bound to be any number of alfas lying around the breakers yards, from 98 on 156's were everywhere so it shouldnt be hard to come by one. Gumtree is a good website to keep an eye on and stick a post on Octane
AO Platinum Member

County: Essex
find a donor 155 on ebay or something
AO Silver Member

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

Quote:
Originally Posted by OperationAlfa View Post
find a donor 155 on ebay or something
they never come up in ireland as donors. Its a lot of money to pay to bring one back from the uk so I reckon breakers yard is yer only man
mo4
AO Member

If it was me I'd buy one of these below, for 400 to 500 euros and get the engine out, then sell for it's metal weight. I got 150 for a car minus engie a few months ago from a local scrappy.

alfa 156 2.0 t spark for sale in Laois: €550 - DoneDeal.ie

ALFA ROMEO 156 for sale in Tipperary: €750 - DoneDeal.ie

98 ALFA ROMEO IN MINT CONDITION for sale in Dublin: €700 - DoneDeal.ie

..... that way ou can hear the engine running before fitting

Last edited by mo4; 21-10-10 at 18:34.
Damien_C

There not exactly the same to be honest. The older first gen TS engines had a better inlet mani than the second gen ones with the plastic one. If you can find a non facelift 146 then your sorted but then in saying that all you would need to do is just swap over the heads of a second gen engine etc.

(Post Link) post #12 of 56 Old 21-10-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 GTA & 155ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo4 View Post
If it was me I'd buy one of these below, for 400 to 500 euros and get the engine out, then sell for it's metal weight. I got 150 for a car minus engie a few months ago from a local scrappy.

alfa 156 2.0 t spark for sale in Laois: €550 - DoneDeal.ie

ALFA ROMEO 156 for sale in Tipperary: €750 - DoneDeal.ie

98 ALFA ROMEO IN MINT CONDITION for sale in Dublin: €700 - DoneDeal.ie

..... that way ou can hear the engine running before fitting
Nice to hear the engine before you put it in. Last thing you want is a buggered engine - out of the fire into the frying pan. Going to be spending the weekend on the the forums me thinks - and to think I was doing this to save some money and still enjoy an alfa now I have to "enjoy" some money and save an alfa
mo4
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_C View Post
There not exactly the same to be honest. The older first gen TS engines had a better inlet mani than the second gen ones with the plastic one. If you can find a non facelift 146 then your sorted but then in saying that all you would need to do is just swap over the heads of a second gen engine etc.
I'm sorry ,but the engines are the same.

The CF3 does has a slightly higher CR due to thinner head gasket iirc, but you can still stick it in a 155.

The inlet manifold is not part of the engine, and can be swapped in 10 mins once the engines are out.
There is no reason to swap heads whether its an alloy or plastic top engine.Even the non EGR cars use the same head - it's just the exhaust mani that's different.
Damien_C

Yes I know internally they are all basically the same all I was pointing out was the fact that the first gen engines have the arguably better metal inlet mani. I know they are technically not part of the engine per say but was only pointing it out to Rory for his own information just incase he didn't realise.

Well, the only reason I said to swap the heads was just incase he was going to do a head gasket on the new engine to save it would be mad not too. But yes I could have worded it better to be honest.

(Post Link) post #15 of 56 Old 22-10-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 GTA & 155ish

I'm learning as ye're talking
mo4
AO Member

Yep just so it's clear to the OP, you can stick any 2.0L 16v twinny engine into a 155, but not a JTS lump.
Engine and box comes out the top as one unit by removing the bonnet

looks like this
AO Silver Member

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

Quote:
Yep just so it's clear to the OP, you can stick any 2.0L 16v twinny engine into a 155, but not a JTS lump.
Engine and box comes out the top as one unit by removing the bonnet

looks like this
Morgan that has to be your handywork
Damien_C

Yep Mo4 is right as the say assumption is the mother of all fook ups.

mo4
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa155 TS View Post
......that has to be your handywork
Yep, I was lucky enough to have a strong engine in the donor car when the 155 blew up. Even then I still just looked at it for 6 months before getting stuck in - mixture of fear and laziness

TBH it's such a big job to change the engine I dont think I'd ever chance fitting one I haven't driven and listened to.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

I asked Gerry in Ti would he do a 155 engine swap for me and he said no way, its an awful job to do aparently
Damien_C

Ya Gerry wouldn't do one for me when I asked him when I was buying the 156 lol. He said he just did a 2l conversion on his sons 1.4 145 and he said never again lol.

(Post Link) post #22 of 56 Old 26-10-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 GTA & 155ish

Guys,
this is getting interesting. The 155 has set me back a bit of money as the wheels had to be rolled and refurbed, 2 new tyres, timing belt, water pump, aux belt, tensioners, brake discs and pads all round. Bearing in mind I started this so I would have a nice alfa to drive and still save money over GTA ownership - while still keeping the GTA for summer months.

My mechanic has taken pity on me and said he won't charge more than 300 for the swap. However if the jobs takes as much time as is being suggested it's not fair on him either. Then you have to consider the cond of the block going in, could be out of the frying pan and into the fire. If I had to get rid of the 155 in the morning it ain't worth much other than the wheels

You got to say stop at some moment. 3 grand in do I throw another 6 hundred(minimum) at it or try to get 6 back?

Please feel free to mock my stupidity but do it subtly so I won't understand.....

Rory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_C View Post
Ya Gerry wouldn't do one for me when I asked him when I was buying the 156 lol. He said he just did a 2l conversion on his sons 1.4 145 and he said never again lol.
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

166V6,SudQO

Rory I don't think it's stupidity (although I would say that after spending upwards of 2k with Gerry refurbing top end of my 166 twinny). Sometimes poop happens and you have to weigh up what's best. I figured I would have spent the same again (and more) getting a same year 166 that might burn an exhaust valve etc. To help you feel better about yourself, Gerry (TI) ate me for waiting 12k / 19 months between oil changes a couple of years back, which in hindsight I would never do again. 6k is my new service interval. Oil and filter change is a piece of pee to do but had a bit of a mental block about touching it... Try to reel myself in here, over one year on still enjoying the 166 and happy with the decision I made... I think get a donor car (155 if possible) so you have a spares source too.

What about this?

Alfa Romeo 155 for parts for sale in Wexford: €375 - DoneDeal.ie

And no it's not me selling it!

Just to say I haven't ever taken LSD...

PS I'm sure any Alfa owner is a 'rock of sense'

Last edited by Mufasa; 27-10-10 at 21:49.
mo4
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidius View Post
My mechanic has taken pity on me and said he won't charge more than 300 for the swap. However if the jobs takes as much time as is being suggested it's not fair on him either.
I'm not a mechanic. It took me a full day to get the engine out, another day to fit it in the other car, and then a third day figuring out if everything was connected right, fluids etc. I did do the clutch as well while the engine was out so I guess a mechanic should do it in half the time.

Quote:
Then you have to consider the cond of the block going in, could be out of the frying pan and into the fire.
This is the most important factor. Do not fit an engine you haven't heard running or at least have reliable info about its history.

Quote:
........ do I throw another 6 hundred(minimum) at it or try to get 6 back?
I'm sorry but there's no way you'll get 600 for a 155 with a blown engine

edit: have you opened the engine up yet to see what's broken?
(Post Link) post #25 of 56 Old 26-10-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 GTA & 155ish

Quote:

I'm sorry but there's no way you'll get 600 for a 155 with a blown engine

edit: have you opened the engine up yet to see what's broken?
Know that the 155 is worthless but the wheels are just after being fully refurbished with 2 x new Pireilli's and the other 2 tyres are almost new. Wheels alone have set me back 8 and can be easily stored until the right buyer comes along. Also timing belt kit and discs pads have only done 100miles so would hope they would be worth a few euro to someone at some stage.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
155 , 156

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page