Registering a car in the uk and Driving it in Ireland. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 14 Old 19-10-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Wicklow

Member car:

Giulia TI

Registering a car in the uk and Driving it in Ireland.

Hi Lads,

My girlfriend is from birmingham originally and her folks live over there still. What would be the deal with her registering a car in her name, in her address in the UK under the assumption that she would go back over there in a year.

Have they got this sealed up like a ducks **** or can it be done?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

afaik it must be registered for 6 months at least in her name then she can bring it over either without having to pay or paying reduced vrt, I'm sure one of the lads here has done it recently
(Post Link) post #3 of 14 Old 19-10-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulia TI

If anyone can let me know it would be great because if i can avoid paying 750 euro i most certainly will.

Edit :

Just found this "All cars/vehicles brought into Ireland (apart from temporary visits of less than 12 months) are subject to Vehicle Registration Tax (VRT) and must be registered with the Revenue Commissioners. The tax rates vary depending on engine size - but are around 25 % of the expected selling price.

People who move to Ireland and have owned their vehicles abroad for more than 6 months and who are moving permanently to Ireland are exempt from VRT. But if you sell it within 12 months of arriving - you have to pay the tax.

Details of VRT rates in Ireland

The registration process must be completed within 30 days of the vehicle's arrival in Ireland.
You must register the car and pay the VRT at a National Car Testing Service (NCT)
Within 7 days of your vehicle arriving in Ireland, you must book an appointment with the NCTS for it to be inspected -
Your car will be examined to ensure that you are paying the correct VRT. In the case of cars and small vans, the amount of VRT payable is based on a percentage of the recommended retail price, which includes all taxes. This price is known as the Open Market Selling Price
You will be required to provide proof of ownership, proof of living abroad - i.e bank statements, proof of address and date of arrival in Ireland. You will need proof of insurance abroad going back 6 months and proof of date of purchase.
Once the vehicle has been registered and the VRT paid, you will receive a receipt for the VRT paid showing the registration number assigned to your car . You will also get a form RF100 for use when you are applying to pay motor tax "

So does that mean that if the car is registered in her name i won't have to go to the NCT centre at all?? Or do i still have to declare the car as being in Ireland?
AO Silver Member

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

looks to me like you dont have to do anything provided its in her name. Best to ring the tax office I'd say, I dont know hoe you go about getting it on Irish plates
AO Silver Member

you're getting a car from the UK, correct? so let her buy it, register it on her name, and after 6 months she can register it in Ireland - no VRT. then a year later you can get it from her as a birthday present. (but while the car is on UK plates it should have a valid MOT)
the insurance will be a tricky one. you have to have an irish insurance on your name, with a 3rd party insurance to drive any other car. I doubt you can be a named driver on a UK car with an irish insurance company, but once you sort this out, you should be fine.
but then again, this is only how I understand it, and I might be wrong, and YMMV
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 2.0 JTDm

Your best bet is to ring the VRT office. Some people get real fussy when it comes to "yellow regs".. I've heard some guards actually ask for proof that you're actually living in the UK and only visiting here. Load of b00llox.
propellorhead

Handy nugget of info there chaps! my pops has the same name as me and lives in engerland...
Does the V5 have your date of birth on?

AO Member

County: Arizona
The main problem you may have is where your girlfriend is resident... If she is getting paid here and paying taxes she could be considered a resident...

Depends on how deep they dive IF they stop her. And if your driving over here before registering and they have spotted the car they may investigate.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
AO Silver Member

County: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterio View Post
I've heard some guards actually ask for proof that you're actually living in the UK and only visiting here. Load of b00llox.
I have had to do this. "You're in Letterkenny a lot for someone who has an english reg'd car. Bring you licence and insurance to the station along with 3 utility bills or else we'll sieze it if we see you again".
The fact that I only live 30 miles away and my (ex)gf lived in LK wasn't good enough
I can see why they do it though, there are a lot of yellow plates in Donegal and it's a great way to raise revenue.
AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

Sorry to say yes the VRT do have it sorted . Its up to you to prove the circs and If the VRT office are not satisified then it wont be accepted . Remember the Staff in the VRT office have been dealing with this for quite sometime and tbh "they" live in the real world as well. A guy I know was bringing in a car which was a Ford . He got the garage in the UK to put down LX when in fact it was a GHIA. He requested the price on the VRT calculator site and went into pay the "LX" price thinking they were all "THICK" in the vrt office . They do come out to see the car and when they saw that he was pulling a fast one charged him for every concievable extra ( he had leather etc ) at the top price . Cost him 2k more than he was expecting and as he had the car bought , he could do nothing . The system was tightened up considerably when that guy in Dublin was caught some time ago trying to fiddle the VRT . Just a warning , the onus is on you to prove the situartion not the VRT office .

Run away with my wife kill my child but dont touch my car

CYCLISTS! THEY PAY NOTHING I TELL YA NOTHING
FRANKLY i DON'T GIVE A DAMN
IF THE ABS LIGHT IS ON ITS TOO LATE !
100% OF NON SMOKERS DIE TOO
AO Member

County: Cork
Ya they are really after clamping down. my family has import all of our cars from the UK. they didnt inspect mine (Hyundai Coupe), they insecpted my mams MINI and my dads BMW. all luxury cars or cars that normally have a lot of options have to go to a special office for "inspection", ie charged more tax!!!of all our cars tho, ine came with the most extras and wasnt inspected, still i thnk 4k for VRT was saucy enough
AO Member

County: Galway
I brought in a 5 series last month, they just took the chassis number, rang BMW Ireland, got the list of options and value of them and calculated the VRT based on that. They never went outside to look at it......but then again they didn't need to.

Also, I could be wrong but I think it's illegal for an Irish citizen resident in the country to drive a foreign registered car in the state, at least this is what was explained to me previously when I was looking into doing something similar.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 2.0 JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlaffey View Post
I brought in a 5 series last month, they just took the chassis number, rang BMW Ireland, got the list of options and value of them and calculated the VRT based on that. They never went outside to look at it......but then again they didn't need to.

Also, I could be wrong but I think it's illegal for an Irish citizen resident in the country to drive a foreign registered car in the state, at least this is what was explained to me previously when I was looking into doing something similar.
Yep, it is illegal and some may face some rough penalties if they are repeat offenders.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
(Post Link) post #14 of 14 Old 20-10-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulia TI

So basically theres not a bloody hope i'll (or i mean my girlfriend ) will get away with this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
car , driving , ireland , registering

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page