Speed Traps - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 107 Old 13-10-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

Speed Traps

Hi Lads,

Email went around work today from the Boss man re a new Garda campaign for mobile speed traps, so said I would share it with you all. Apharently from next week they are ramping up their checkpoints so beware. I have checked out the website and its fairly comprehensive, you can add any checkpoints you have seen.

Email -

All Company Drivers
As part of a road safety campaign to reduce accidents and road deaths new cameras will be deployed across the 26 counties. With so much of our work requiring country wide driving, we must all be aware of our speed when driving. Besides the obvious safety risk there is the impact of fines and points. Thankfully, our record is excellent with a very low level of accidents and Road Traffic Act infringements. There is a new campaign to address speeding related accidents on National and minor roads.

In about 1 week, the Gardai will start deploying 50 new speed cameras vans around the country. Implementing convictions will commence in the following 3-4 weeks with fines and points. The cameras will be deployed in different makes of vans. Colours will vary but are mostly white, green, blue or yellow, with local county registrations. They will NOT be located on motorways but on smaller national roads. Initially vans will be sited at accident black spots. These can be down-loaded to your Garmin on Accident Black Spots in Ireland - Safety GPS POI data directory for Garmin, TomTom, Navman, Destinator and other GPS brands. - GPS POI Data as POI’s. You will need to adjust your speed well in advance of the camera as detection occurs ½ mile away. The vans are virtually undetectable with no obvious features except that ones designed for speed detection at night are fitted with a ‘periscope’ camera on the roof.

There is an App for the iphone called IST (Irish Speed Traps) which is a pin pointer for speed traps around the country. It will give you visibility of both Gatso styled speed traps and also hot spots for mobile speed traps around the country. It’s free to download and can also be viewed by visiting Over 1000 speed camera locations in Ireland. Download safety camera locations to your sat nav device or view on a Google map.

Dont bend the rules, Rule the bends
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Kildare

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Cheers Mark, they must be adding static camera's as well, they have already marked one on the M50 northbound a couple of months ago. It's handy though that the markings are exactly below the gantry sign for exit 12 so you know about it well in advance BTW its 100km along that bit of the M50.
AO Silver Member

County: Longford
Are there speed camera's on the M50 now? who would have thought it, the mention of speed cameras on that road a few years ago would have been hilarious!
AO Gold Member

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby2449 View Post
Are there speed camera's on the M50 now? who would have thought it, the mention of speed cameras on that road a few years ago would have been hilarious!
Not quite yet, the markings and the pole for the camera are all in place so I reckon it won't be to long. I can't think of one reason why it is located where it is though, I only see it as a money making excercise, its on the far side of a bend and in no way near any blackspot and even as it is, because people are slowing down for it, it is causing more traffic in the morning
AO Silver Member

County: Cork
Ah more budget taxes..... Road safety my @&£&@@!
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby2449
There were fixed cameras on the M50 long before the upgrade works started. They were removed during the upgrade, but are going back in in at least 2 locations (Firhouse and M1/Airport).

I don't know what's delaying the installation of the camera at Firhouse, the lines have been there since July. Maybe legislation, maybe they need a few more euro to actually buy the camera.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

As far as I understand they have to publish the location of the static cameras there is usually a thread of some sort on boards
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

I've been following the thread on Boards and there's no solid info on when it will become operational. Plenty of people asking the question, but no definitive answer.
AO Member

Member car:

A very simple solution to all this, to avoid any kind of penalty...just stick to the speed limit.
AO Member

Member car:

MiTo MA-135

The Gardaí have published locations for the new Van locations for all counties here. Clicking on Dublin for example lists with google maps start and end points for each targeted zone.
AO Silver Member

County: Wicklow
<self-censored>
AO Silver Member

Just looking at this:

Speed Enforcement Zones - Cork

Besides the fact this just says one of these moneyvans can be parked anywhere, take for example the Lota or the Tivoli ones.. bascially dual carriage-ways with hig high volume traffic = big revenue.

How about putting them outside outside schools & parks etc.... or on blind bends etc.. oh yeah they don't work around corners... only on long streches of roads... *yawn*

Ah forget it, I'm begining to bore myself with this argument of speed camera = tax....

sorry... I'll be quite again.

Ok one last comment, can't resist, it's driver education & attitude that puts people into hospital not just 'speed'..
(Post Link) post #13 of 107 Old 14-10-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

yeh those lines have been at Firhouse for a while now alirght, maybe the gov cant afford the camera LOL. Anyway in the last few days I have been sticking to the limit everywhere even the absolutely ludicrous 30KPH limit coming off the M50 at Blanch, what a ******* joke of a limit. Although my bro was coming around it 2 weeks ago and just were it goes from 30 to 50 there was a garda on his bike with camera setup and most people I know who have been done were all done on a section of road where the speed limit changes...... dont say you weren't warned
AO Silver Member

County: Longford
30KPH is insane!!!! it'll get to the stage where we'll be spending so much time looking for speed traps we won't be watching the road! & i know people will say just stick to the speed limit, but 30KPH is a complete joke!
AO Gold Member

Member car:

911, 156, Merc C

you wonder what people want to be police men/women nowadays ??? they are just slaves of the IRS
and collecting money for the ever growing deficit of the state...
I live in Holland, very small country with 17 million people , 450 people per square kilometre, and we get 20 million speed tickets a year, mainly for 5 to 10 kilometre too fast..... they collect 600 million euro per year !!!
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 2.0 JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherb View Post
Just looking at this:

Speed Enforcement Zones - Cork

Besides the fact this just says one of these moneyvans can be parked anywhere, take for example the Lota or the Tivoli ones.. bascially dual carriage-ways with hig high volume traffic = big revenue.

How about putting them outside outside schools & parks etc.... or on blind bends etc.. oh yeah they don't work around corners... only on long streches of roads... *yawn*

Ah forget it, I'm begining to bore myself with this argument of speed camera = tax....

sorry... I'll be quite again.

Ok one last comment, can't resist, it's driver education & attitude that puts people into hospital not just 'speed'..

AFAIK that list hasn't been updated in ages.
AO Member

Member car:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarebear View Post
you wonder what people want to be police men/women nowadays ??? they are just slaves of the IRS
and collecting money for the ever growing deficit of the state...
I live in Holland, very small country with 17 million people , 450 people per square kilometre, and we get 20 million speed tickets a year, mainly for 5 to 10 kilometre too fast..... they collect 600 million euro per year !!!
Thats why we're up to our eyeballs in debt. We're a country with the population of a medium sized city, we could do with a few extra million....
AO Member

Speed isnt the problem, it is where your are doing the speed. Having lived on mainland Europe now for some time there is some difference between here and home. The motorways are mirror smooth, no bumps, potholes,etc (bar belgium, roads are terrible) and the speed limit is 130 kph. however it is not enforced and im always overtaken by cars doing 160+. and that is fine because speed here is acceptable, roads are perfect and drivers have excellent lane discipline.

However driving quickly around towns, school, and residental areas isnt. As mentioned above tho the Guards only go for the jammy spots where there will be easy targets. I live in Tivoli and am constantly checking my speed on both side of the dual carriage way because thye can be around. But do you ever see them doing speed checks around the schools?nope! That dual carriageway is a fairly low risk road for pedistrians, but is heavily monitored.

at the end of the day we have to remember its Ireland, if it means more moeny for our politicians to go on the lash and claim expenses they will do it, no matter how they dress it up to justify it.
AO Member

Member car:

MiTo MA-135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterio View Post
AFAIK that list hasn't been updated in ages.
Sorry, I should have clarified my post. The listings that are on the Garda website are the places that have come from the prioritisation of speed camera placement devices. I.e. Where most occurrences happen with reference also to amenities too (eg schools).

The reason that the lists haven't been updated is because the deployment of said speed cameras has been delayed so the impact of them on the initial zones hasn't been determined.

Effectively the Gardai agreed with the private speed camera company the zones (sez) that they were to enforce. Legislation was passed to allow the collection fines etc by a third party before handing the matter to the gardaí.

I agree with the rather large (or vague) listings though, and plenty of them are fish in a barrel type situations, but at least they are out in the open, so the excuse is pretty moot.
(Post Link) post #20 of 107 Old 15-10-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

Just speaking with one of the lads I work with who used to work for Siemens not too long ago. At the time Siemens came 2nd to win the contract to setup and rollout out the cameras and the briefing at the time was there was 3 road classifications, green amber and red and those classifications were based on the number of accidents/deaths on that particular road. There was a bonus for each RED road that was brought down to Amber and Amber road brought down to Green, Red being the highest accident rate. So the Focus primarily was to concentrate on areas where accidents were common. Whether that has changed or not I dont know but one thing I do know from seeing speed traps and looking at the website is the locations they are in now is not high accident zones
AO Member

The information I have (from a reliable source) is that the speed camera vans will go live in mid to the end of November. The Vans themselves are all different makes and colours, as was part of the contract and they will operate 24hrs a day. What is the betting that the speed camera vans will be given all the dirty jobs i.e. secondary roads, night time etc. and the Gardai will concentrate on the easy pickings of speed limit transition points and motorways. All in the name of road safety of course.
AO Member

Member car:

MiTo MA-135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jak O Shadows View Post
and the Gardai will concentrate on the easy pickings of speed limit transition points and motorways. All in the name of road safety of course.
My understanding was that they would wash their hands completely from doing speed checks and put more effort into the marked/unmarked road patrols for "general" driving standards.

If it's any use I've personal experience of the new vans and the flash is very bright so be sure to keep your eyes off the road and on the surroundings instead as the cars in front of you get flashed first. This was at dawn and the flash was very evident, and I now know what to look out for.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 2.0 JTDm

Passed through 3 checkpoints on Sunday night, so they still are doing them. Also you can notice there's more patrol cars on the roads and to be honest I quite like that if it helps calming the road ragers and tailgaters. Also I don't think all of the vans are going to be on motorways and A roads. I've seen a van on that road at DCU in Finglas, 2 lanes + 1 bus lane and the limit is 50. Talking about easy pickings.
(Post Link) post #24 of 107 Old 19-10-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

They are always there Rob jus as you come around the bend, Idleater I'd like to know where you spotted the camera?
(Post Link) post #25 of 107 Old 19-10-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

spotted on my way home a van pulled in at the bus stop on the N82 (Citywest road) first time I have seen him there so will probably be one of their many new haunts

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
speed , traps

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page