Why an Alfa? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 21 Old 18-09-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

159 Ti, GT 1.8

Why an Alfa?

Just curious why you decided on an alfa?
My first experience was in my late teens when a friends father had a red sprint which we used to 'borrow!'
, the sound was amazing so when I was buying my first car I went straight to look alfas!
Ended up with a red 33 1.5 which was great fun and had the 'sound' , then went to a silver 156 1.8 and now on a 159 diesel ......1 day an 8c!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 2.0 JTDm

1. Exclusivity
2. The feeling of Alfa Romeo
3. Alfa owners buy coffee
AO Gold Member

County: Kildare

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

You mean some do!
Same for me, they are just so much more interesting, they may have there flaws but they are always special
AO Silver Member

County: -
I found it was the most sensible car I could buy. First of all it had to be petrol and have four doors (I could live with a two door now). My (affordable) options were something from the 80s/ early 90's then a BMW/ Alfa and the Alfa is easier to insure.
I bought with my head, not my heart. How many of you can honestly say that?
AO Member

County: Bristol
when i was about 5 my uncle had an alfa gt 2000,atleast i think that was what it was,i remember loving it even at that age and then he sold it to my mum and he replaced it with a spider.ive always loved alfas but its only now that im in a position to own an alfa spider,love it.
AO Member

County: Derbyshire
Stayed clear of Italian and French cars for the past 28 yrs of car ownership!...(Italian because of the 70's/80's reputation & French through some kind of naive predjudice!)

18 months ago, i bought a Fiat Coupe 20 Valve Turbo (on a bit of a whim & it was cheap) the Coop' just blew me away, it was an absolute blast to drive and ultimately dispelled all my preconceived ideas about Italian cars!
Six months later, i dipped a toe into Alfa ownership, with a 156 2.0 TS Veloce, again, the same feelings of driver appeal were coming on strong!
So, threw myself headlong into getting the 2.5 V6..............my latest V6 has been an absolute belter,everything is in A1 condition and i have never had one problem with the car and the sound it now makes

i have owned many nice and more expensive sporting cars (inc' many E36 M3's)..

..But the V6 is just such a great drivers car, i am in love with the engine (is this normal?)

Arte et Marte, By Skill & by Fighting.

Traded my soul for lifelong car heaven! and poverty !
AO Silver Member

County: Louth

Member car:

33 16v

Mine was cheap. very very cheap. (change down the back of the couch cheap)

Then the noise and got to me
AO Member

Member car:

Volvo 440

I remember it so well, i was 12 years old, i was watching the touring cars and the alfa 155 looked and sounded legendary, alfa red, big wide body, black wheels, it was a thing of immence beauty, then of course tarquini won the btcc in it, i was in love!
Then 2 years later i saw pictures of the 156 concept car! With the flowing lines and hidden back door handles, i just had to have one. It took me another 8 years before i could afford/insure one!
Alfas are more than a car, they are an emotion!
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

About 1984 I moved into a house and my neighbour had a white Alfasud , it sounded like a 2 stroke and even though he spent most weekends under the thing , I would drool over the thing especially when I was "in my mundane driving era " .. Later around 1987 my buddy (yes another one !) bought a 146 1.8 TS and I couldn't get over the interior , style and handling, it was definately a nicer place to be then most of the "mainstream" stuff at the time. I was always "into" Alfa's but believed the stories regarding relaibility etc. But in any case I bought a 99 146 Junior and have never looked back . Just yesterday I drove a friends Audi A6 2.0 litre diesal , and found it to be bland, uncomfortable ( yes my 01 166 is far superior than his 07 Audi A6 ) . when I got into the 166 again I was soooooo glad to drive something that has character. All the Alfa's I've driven have never let me down , never let me at the side of the road (only a when a wanqer cleaned them ) and even then she got me home !

Why do I drive an Alfa.. Because I havn't given up on life yet

Run away with my wife kill my child but dont touch my car

CYCLISTS! THEY PAY NOTHING I TELL YA NOTHING
FRANKLY i DON'T GIVE A DAMN
IF THE ABS LIGHT IS ON ITS TOO LATE !
100% OF NON SMOKERS DIE TOO
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa Romeo GT

well my love of Alfa came when I was about 13/14 I'd say in school and we owned an old toyota corolla at the time. A friend of mine would pull up in a 156 with the weird green to blue metallic colour that changed when it hit the light. With the colour and the shape I was hooked. "edit, theres a 166 in my estate in this colour. Why do you see so few of them nowadays, pity, they were so different"

I believed all the stories of reliability stupidly as I knew no better. I drove plain jane cars for years because I couldnt afford to fix them if the did break down.

So I had only bought a 04 2ltr Mazda 6 had it only 3 months when I decided **** this I want an Alfa. Had always loved the GT's as there really just isnt a huge amount of them on the road and they still look like one of the best looking coupes out there if not the best.

Mines a 1.9JTD love the colour, love the interior, exterior, love everything about it. And for a diesel with the mental fuel consumption it has some pull at 150bhp. Fantastic for such an ecomical car. BUT....................

The only thing its missing is the Alfa "sound". Fear not however I will some day buy an older spider and when I do it will be a V6. oooooh yes.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

ya a V6 Alfa is the way to go , waited along time to get one (most of my life TBH) and even (when we again get molested in this budget) I will still tax and insure it . Nothing like the smile that V6 burble can give you , when I went to buy it in the UK and heard the exhaust note at the rear of the car, even on tickover , there's no other sound like it omho
AO Member

County: Kent

Member car:

156 1.8 TS Turbo

What else is there??? Once you have owned an alfa you wouldn't want anything else Nothing looks, feels or pulls on the heart strings like an alfa.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

Agree Alfa-don why would anybody , who hasnt given up on life , buy anything else . Now if you buy another motor for "normal" use then thats another matter , but nothing thrills like an Alfa imo.
AO Member

Member car:

Octavia vRS tsi

Because, there's nothing else that looks, drives or feels like an Alfa Romeo.
AO Member

County: Cork
Since i can remember i have loved Alfas and everytime i chaged the car it never happened for me. Im too picky! wanted a 145 for my first car but it had to be the special edition one they made in the run out of 00. bought a fiesta instead. When the fiestas time was up i want the 04 147 Ti (black but would have settled for the red one) but couldnt find any in my budget so I import a Hyundai Coupe while waiting for the dream 147 but feel inlove with the coupe! now tho....hehehe. im the proud owner of a sexy 147 Distinctive (and a Coupe!)

any1 can buy a car, but its shows u have passion (and bravery) to buy an alfa!
AO Member

Member car:

Volvo 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dermo View Post
ya a V6 Alfa is the way to go , waited along time to get one (most of my life TBH) and even (when we again get molested in this budget) I will still tax and insure it . Nothing like the smile that V6 burble can give you , when I went to buy it in the UK and heard the exhaust note at the rear of the car, even on tickover , there's no other sound like it omho
I'll second that!
I didnt even drive the gta before i bought it, he started it up and i was never saying no once i heard it! I wouldnt have given a toss if it was falling apart, lucky for me it was a gem.
I even promised him first refusal if i ever decide to move it on.
Only alfa's make you feel this way.
AO Silver Member

County: Wicklow
...because I could
I hope one day I can say the same about a Maserati, an Aston and a Lamborghini too...
Damien_C

For me I bought them because well there is nothing else out there to drive imo. And I have driven an awful lot of cars. Yes there are faster better arguably better handling and some may say more reliable marques out there. But to me there isn't any that is as entertaining or have the same quality of interiors. For example my Dad's friends A6 lovely car yes but the seats are hideously hard the interior plastics yes are welded together quite neatly but the engine is gutless the suspension hard yet wollowly at the same time I dunno how Audi manage to make a car that rides so harshly yet dips its fat head into every corner like a rat down a drain pipe.

AO Member

County: Meath

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 166

During the good times I was a proud S-Class owner. I put more money into it (mechanically) than NAMA did with Anglo. Was made redundant and could not afford to keep it (thank jaysus). I remember back in the day my dad stopping the car to look at a red Alfasud in a garage. It was pure magic and it looked fast just sitting there. When I eventually got a job I went back to that feeling and said I would buy a car with my heart. It had to be a 166, to me it was always a neck twister. When I took it for a test drive I didn't want to bring it back. I sat in it, in the garage until my wife came back with the money. I drove it away and just love getting up a 3-30 in the morning and us heading to work together on the open empty roads. Can't wait to take her away on Valentines Day. AAHHHHHHHH!
AO Silver Member

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

When I was in my mid teens went to the Phoenix park races and the two 155 BTCC cars were there doing a few laps and since then always wanted a 155 and am on my second now
But I had always had vague memories of suds and GTV6's from the 80s. As fellow Alfa owners we dont have to try and explain why we own Alfas but for those who aren't all I can say is your just gonna have to buy one to find out.
AO Member

County: Meath
ehhh....why not.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
alfa

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page