Help with my 147! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 12 Old 09-09-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Cork
Help Help with my 147!

Hi all,

Can i get some help with my 147? I posted in the right section but go no reply, so ill try here.

I keep getting a warning and beeping (Jesus the beeping!!!) about a brake light failure on the right hand lamp. i checked the lights and they work 95% of the time. anytime im driving i always check the reflection in windows and cars behind me to make sure the brake lights/ indicator work. only rarely would i see that the right one doesnt.

is it a loose connection? wiring problem?common fault? any help would be appreciated, bit of a noob when it comes to electrics!

thanks all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta

I had this on my 1st 147, and it turned out to be a loose connection. Remove the bulb, clean the end with a dry cloth and screw it back in again. If you can get switch cleaner (not WD-40, it's an insulator), give it a squirt into the socket too, but the remove and re-fit was enough for me.

The owner's manual shows how to get at the rear lights.
(Post Link) post #3 of 12 Old 09-09-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Cool thanks, i will try this when i get home and see. because all the bulbs do work, but its the beeping every time i indicate or brake

ill let you know how it goes!thanks again!
(Post Link) post #4 of 12 Old 09-09-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Ok need more help again!!!

owners manual...........................is all in French! will go for a route around in the boot later!

Garage
Here is an online manual for the 147 Owner Handbook Alfa 190 - 147 English It's for the facelift model though.
(Post Link) post #6 of 12 Old 09-09-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Oh you are a legend!!! the majoirty of the stuff will be the same wont it?

does you as well how to get the MPG up on the computer? i have been flicking thru the menus but cant find it!
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta

Most of the rear rights are the same for the pre-facelift version. The front bulbs changed a good bit though.

To get MPG displayed on the central screen, tap the button at the end of the indicator stalk.

If you can do this, but have it reading in km/litre or l/100km, not mpg: To fix this, go to the menu (button between headlight dipping switches), choose "Units", then choose "mpg".

Personally, I use km/litre, because I buy my fuel in litres, and the roadsigns all give distances in km (Multiply by 3-and-a-bit to get a rough mpg figure).
(Post Link) post #8 of 12 Old 10-09-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

cool thanks for that! couldnt figure it out!

Update on the bulbs, thought i had it fixed last night, but i noticed that when the rear light was on, if i turned on the indicator the rear light dims when the indicator flashes. Got up this morning and there was no beeping so i was very happy, until i looked in a shop windows reflection and saw it wasnt working at all
AO Member

If the rear light dims when the indicator flashes then the most likely cause is a bad earth, either on the light cluster itself on where the earth is bolted to the body of the car.
(Post Link) post #10 of 12 Old 11-09-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

took it to the garage today, but because no1 her actually wants to be in work, the service dept close at 12! so will have to wait till monday. now there is a strange squeek/squeeling noise after developing too. usually is loudest at 50kmh but have heard it at speeds up to 100. accerating makes no differnce to the noise but when i touch the brakes it stops, foot off the brake and we are back to squeeks villle.any suggestions for this?

appreciate the help so far!its nice to ask ppl in the know!
AO Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

Volvo 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul896 View Post
took it to the garage today, but because no1 her actually wants to be in work, the service dept close at 12! so will have to wait till monday. now there is a strange squeek/squeeling noise after developing too. usually is loudest at 50kmh but have heard it at speeds up to 100. accerating makes no differnce to the noise but when i touch the brakes it stops, foot off the brake and we are back to squeeks villle.any suggestions for this?

appreciate the help so far!its nice to ask ppl in the know!
The problem with the brakes sounds like the pad is touching the disc, something to do with the calipers, think thats a common enough problem i had that on a 156, try narrow it down to one side and get someone to look at it, wouldnt say it's serious.
(Post Link) post #12 of 12 Old 12-09-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks all for all your suggestions!

im taking it to the garage tomorrow so fingers crossed. Just waxed it for the first time as well today, God i love it even more! will post some pics as well

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page