Alfa 159 v Opel Insignia - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 13 Old 25-08-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Alfa 159 v Opel Insignia

Year to date in 2010 Alfa Romeo has sold just 38 Alfa 159's in Dublin, some I suspect to the Car Hire market, Opel on the other hand have sold 1,069 Insignias in Dublin in the same period. How can this be? Both use the same FPT Turbo Diesel engines under the Fiat-GM break-up agreement while until recently the 159 had petrol engines with a GM block and Alfa head also part of the same break-up agreement. The styling on the 159 is streets ahead of the Opel both inside and out, its be on par for build quality and reliability and handles better. Alfa need to up their marketing big time, its not the products, the Mito, 147, GT, Brera, Spider and 159 are all cars with plenty to offer but there on very few shopping lists in Ireland, when did you ever see an advertisement for the new 1750 TBi 159? The Giulietta better buck the trend or there may not be any new Alfas to buy in the not too distant future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

I guarantee you 90% if not more of theopels are company cars. They ALWAYS have been a company car brand for their mid range cars. In my old job there was something like 30 + Astra's and about the same Vectra's. All technician and sales reps and management cars. Our car park was like an Opel garage
AO Silver Member

County: -

Member car:

156 GTA

The non Eco versions of the Insignia are actually a great car, probably not popular to say it on this site though

159 is pretty, but relatively slow and heavy motor tax.
Even as an Alfa crazy enthusiast I couldn't consider them as a new purchase.
1750tbi might help sure, but the lag I experienced on the much lighter Giulietta cloverleaf was significant.

MiTo and Giulietta are great though, I seriously considered buying both before veering down another path..

County: Cork
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailbraker View Post

159 is pretty, but relatively slow and heavy motor tax.
Even as an Alfa crazy enthusiast I couldn't consider them as a new purchase.
1750tbi might help sure, but the lag I experienced on the much lighter Giulietta cloverleaf was significant.

MiTo and Giulietta are great though, I seriously considered buying both before veering down another path..

The prices for the new range of 159 engines have just been released, all with much lower road tax Not before time though & probably too late for many for this year now

159 prices.jpg

Also the downside of the 1750TBi in the 159 is that it is only the 200Bhp version whereas the Giulietta gets the 235Bhp version.

I removed your Opel advert from the quote TB I hope you don't mind
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 GTA

No, I think that's fair enough
I should point out that I meant that it is a great family car that Is also suprisingly good to drive, with the superbly comfy seats and lovely half leather interior (SE) for a great negotiated price.
Was far far better than Mondeo, and also the Mazda 6.

Doh, there I go again.
AO Silver Member

County: Kildare

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordicI55 View Post
Year to date in 2010 Alfa Romeo has sold just 38 Alfa 159's in Dublin, some I suspect to the Car Hire market, Opel on the other hand have sold 1,069 Insignias in Dublin in the same period. How can this be? Both use the same FPT Turbo Diesel engines under the Fiat-GM break-up agreement while until recently the 159 had petrol engines with a GM block and Alfa head also part of the same break-up agreement. The styling on the 159 is streets ahead of the Opel both inside and out, its be on par for build quality and reliability and handles better.
Emissions probably are an issue (Insignia is better than the 159, except for the newest engines), but to be honest, I've seen fleet policies that state 'you can order any car within your allowance.......except Alfa Romeo.

The Insignia is not a bad looking car (compared to the Vectra anyway), no idea what it's like to drive however.
AO Member

County: Cork
the Insignia is a stunner (sorry) but at the end of the day its german. and that means its a boring soulless box. my dad had an astra sport hatch, stunning car, real looker (it was one of the first) lovely interior, clever touchs but my God it was dull. and there was no cup holder, the engine died at 5,500rpm it was just noise from there, and within a week every wan and sham had an Opel.

Alfa all the way!!!
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

Lads ( & ladies Just in case !) we forget that for any manufacturer Ireland doesn't even rate , perhaps for the Dull cars but as you are aware London has 11 odd million which outwieghs our market by itself , therefore it is not a lucrative market here for Alfa . People will still buy their Toilets, Opels, VAG here . If Alfa had the problem's like Toyota had recently Alfa would be wiped out , instead Toyota are still selling . Most people have an Idea of what small cars are produced by what manufacturer but mention a MiTo and no one knows it exists or what it is or who makes it . Selling 38 159's is not going to make Alfa worry about our little market here

Run away with my wife kill my child but dont touch my car

CYCLISTS! THEY PAY NOTHING I TELL YA NOTHING
FRANKLY i DON'T GIVE A DAMN
IF THE ABS LIGHT IS ON ITS TOO LATE !
100% OF NON SMOKERS DIE TOO
Damien_C

I have to agree with TB the insignia is a nice car and for a rep makes perfect sense. Tipples juice cos of the stupidly long 6th gear. Nice cruise control the steering isn't bad it looks well and the stereo is decent. Handles well and is quick to 100mph but and it's a big fully rounded but the interior is Lidl and Tesco value cheap I have to say. And as a whole lets down the whole car and the seats are a bit hard to be fair.

AO Member

Member car:

GT Monza 1.9JTDm

all to do with depreciation and cost of ownership for the fleets & hire car companies

I thought the seats in the Insignia hire car I was in were rubbish..
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 GTA

The seats in the Elise and SE are excellent, and my guess is that anybody who drives an Alfa currently is probably going to go for the SE / Sri or above rather than the bargain basement no frills versions which has very ordinary seats.
I would guess this is what the rentals have..

The Elite seats were adjustable in every which way, perfection was easy to find (I think the SE has the same seats).
I wasn't overly impressed with the SRis seats , or indeed the SRi itself, I thought the standard car (SE and greater) handled just as well and was a lot more comfortable ..plus had a much better interior.

I have only driven the 160 non EcoFlex models, which my all accounts are better than the newer EcoFlex ones with stupidly long gear ratios.
This car jumped all over the Mondeo and Mazda 6 for me, both of which underwhelmed me.

I'm not a doctor - but I really do recommend braking later
AO Silver Member

County: Wicklow
the most remarkable part of a car being the comfy seats is like having a shower being the most remarkable part of having sex.
Damien_C

I have to say levent you have a point.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
159 , alfa , insignia , opel

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page