VW looking at Alfa? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 44 Old 24-08-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Cork
VW looking at Alfa?

This is not good... not good at all I tell ya!

Volkswagen Courting Alfa Romeo - autoevolution
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Kildare

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Please let this not happen. To be honest I dont think it will.

Garage
There are a couple of discussions already running in GAD for anyone interested https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/gener...is-be-bad.html & https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/gener...he-future.html
AO Member

County: Meath

Member car:

Mito,Montreal.

There goes Alfa's reputation for reliability down the swanny...
AO Gold Member

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

AO Member

County: Staffordshire
No, no if i wanted a rebadged VW i would buy a VW and change the badges.

Alfa needs an amount of independence to do what it does best, engineering for the future and pushing the boundaries of mechanical and engine design.

More involvement within the Fiat group to use the skills of Maserati and Ferrrari rather than always turning to Fiat.

The production of concept models like the Duettottanta to bring Alfa into its rightful place at the top of design.

I shall down get down from my soap box all welcome to use!
AO Gold Member

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Agree 100% markr129
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta

It's old news. The negotiations ended when Fiat Group bought into Chrysler
Analysts are now playing "what-if" games to give themselves something to publish.
AO Member

County: Essex

Member car:

Whats the differeance between a Skoda Octavia and an Audi A6 - Answer about 20 grand Surely the germans are going the wrong way - poland is in the opposite direction
AO Silver Member

County: Wicklow
Fiat wants to make Alfa the premium range, and after joining with Chrysler they are busy to re-inroduce the Alfa range to the yanks. VW wanted Alfa to replace Seat, because the image they wanted Seat to be - youthful, sporty - didn't work. Probably they should've let Seat to use stuff other than VW's parts bin.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfa amore View Post
Whats the differeance between a Skoda Octavia and an Audi A6 - Answer about 20 grand Surely the germans are going the wrong way - poland is in the opposite direction
If only it was true , the only thing I love about Alfa is the way they look. It certainly isn't there 0-60 or top end , what they need is german build quality and materials, my 156 looks like it was put together on blue peter!
AO Member

County: Essex

Member car:

160K on mine far more reliable then mercs and bmw's that ive owned in the past.
I am not convinced of german reliability - but I am convinced by the power of fancy adverts and market perception. They sell a lot of product but kellogs sell a lot of corn flakes. The trade is already marking down by 1600 pounds some VAG products because of problems with the ABS unit.
AO Silver Member

County: Shropshire
A lot of reliability buzz is mainly PR spin. It's not as big a gap as you think. Yes the cars that are really boring are reliable, but there driven buy people who just potter about.

EVERY car breaks at some point.
AO Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

159 3.2

Everyone seems to jump on the "rebadging VW and Skoda" fear. What about the fact that VW owns a bunch of pretty well run high end marques that include Porsche, Lamborghini, Bugatti and Bentley? All of these brands still retain their tradition and soul, perhaps in slightly different ways and perhaps with some necessary compromises. Of course people will have their favourite old cars, but much better to continue on a tradition while adopting modern realities than slowly fade away to bankruptcy. Fiat have given Alfa little love or investment in recent years and will only go further down the chassis sharing route in the future, likely making serious compromises to try and break America. If VW put money into development and performance, keeping the distictive design qualities that defines Alfa, then hey, maybe it could be a good thing.
AO Member

County: West Midlands
I personally cant see the Italians letting anyone other than a fellow Italian own the brand. Fiat are the 4th largest car manufacturer and selling Italian heritage to the Gerries is uber bad form.
Would be a negative step for fiat IMO regards of losses. These rumours are flouted all the time, Fiat were buying Landrover in 2008 and look how that turned out!
AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

In my opinion , if Alfa Romeo are purchased by VW at least Alfa will remain a brand , if there rebadged seat's then that's a different matter . Remember there are still old Alfa's running around , (mine is 10-11 years old ) so todays Alfa's will be still around for those of us are still breathing and above ground , by then mine will be an antique or I'll be in the nursing home with my Alfa Zimmer Frame chasing nurse's and breaking down just as i was catching one
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta

Agree VAG's reliability is only marginally better than Alfa's these days (take Skoda out of the group, and they're worse; take Audi on its, and definitely worse)

VW own Porsche, but what has their influence been? Cayenne (Toureg) and Panamera (A7). See a pattern? Platform sharing for no real reason except to fill another micro-niche.

Alfa are better off with Fiat, and that's where they're staying if Giuletta continues the way it has started.
(Post Link) post #18 of 44 Old 25-08-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisW View Post
It's old news. The negotiations ended when Fiat Group bought into Chrysler
Analysts are now playing "what-if" games to give themselves something to publish.
Well that's good news if that's the case.... phew!
AO Silver Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

word to the wise, bmw 3 series I have been reliably informed are in the top 3 of NCT failures. And thats a roadworthy test afaik. Absolutely true the whole reliability discussion is based on 30 year old Alfas that were built from recycled, ungalvanised FIAT locomotive steel, the brand has come a long way, strangely enough I have seen more VW Golfs broken down than any other car
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim159 View Post
Everyone seems to jump on the "rebadging VW and Skoda" fear. What about the fact that VW owns a bunch of pretty well run high end marques that include Porsche, Lamborghini, Bugatti and Bentley? All of these brands still retain their tradition and soul, perhaps in slightly different ways and perhaps with some necessary compromises. Of course people will have their favourite old cars, but much better to continue on a tradition while adopting modern realities than slowly fade away to bankruptcy. Fiat have given Alfa little love or investment in recent years and will only go further down the chassis sharing route in the future, likely making serious compromises to try and break America. If VW put money into development and performance, keeping the distictive design qualities that defines Alfa, then hey, maybe it could be a good thing.
true, but how much soul have they lost? bentley went from being a classic marque to a football fav using the W12 everything from the Phaeton. i hope they dont turn alfa into audi with fairy lights and the heart grill on the bonnet, ie the SEAT Exeo. it could be a good thing but it would need to be done right. could u imagine ur Brera with that rattle old TDI unit? or rading the VW parts bin for the interior? Good God no!!!

i think its only a rumour, VW have enough on their hands after taking over part of Suzuki and they have also expressed an interest in buying Fords share of Mazda. too bad the Italians cant take over the world.....
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta

To repeat: VW might like to buy Alfa, but it is categorically not for sale. Not now, and not in the forseeable future.

Take it from someone who might actually know something about the matter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio Marchionne
I said I will not sell it
Source: autonews

The original rumour was leaked to the German magazine Automobilewoche. I reckon that this is Volkswagen Group spreading some Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt around Alfa Romeo's future, just as Alfa launch the Giulietta, a car that threatens to usurp the VW Golf's position as "best C-segment hatchback".

I guess they've had a good look at the Giulietta and they didn't like what they see.
AO Silver Member

County: Tipperary
I doubt FIAT would ever let VW have Alfa.
AO Member

VW have Seat as their "Alfa-esque" Brand, I concur there is no way Fiat will sell Alfa Romeo to VW. However Fiat Auto need to get their act together and start Marketing Alfa, starting with a return to the WTCC and the BTCC (factory entry forget Prodrive), they now have a suitable car with new Guilietta.
AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

Yes i agree would like to see Alfa back racing again . Loved the 155 and remember being in Phoenix park a number of years ago when they had a number of the touring cars doing a few laps , the sound you could hear all around the Park..
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 59
Garage
IF it ever happened I would imagine many people would forget their hand wringing as soon as some decent product became available

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
alfa

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page