Is this acceptable? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 07-08-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

159 3.2

Is this acceptable?

I have a broken exhaust clamp that is rattling away and someone I know kindly said would fit for me if I get the replacement part. Having gone into 2 Alfa dealerships the following was the experience:

#1: fairly helpful to start - printed out 3 pictures and asked me to point to the part which they would order. Diagrams were brutal - unbelieveably confusing with many parts having no lines into where they fit on the main parts. Having done a bit of technical drawing back in my Inter Cert days, this wouldn't come close to meeting the most basic requirements. Not being able to point to the part, he recommended me having a look again underneath and come back to them. With a busy garage, they weren't able to look themselves...

After doing this and being none the wiser, it was off to #2:
Again, fairly helpful to start. Had a lad jack it up and look under with same said diagrams. He couldn't work out which part it was supposed to be either. Manager then says that parts can often be slightly different shapes on different models. Said it was probably one of two parts which he could order, basically implying that I would be taking my own chances as to whether it was the right part. I said could it not be quickly put up on a ramp for the head mechanic to confirm the part, he replied that the garage was busy and it would cost labour to look at it. So I caved and said, listen I need it fixed, I presume it only takes a few minutes to fit if I left it with you now to confirm the right part? Reply was yes, but there was a half hour min labour charge which would be 45... And it would take a week for the part to come from Italy if the UK didn't have it.

So to replace this simple little piece of metal is now going to cost 75. I'd lost the will to argue, but surely any organsisation should be helpful to sell a part, not just labour. After all this 30 clamp probably costs 5 to actually make, 10 to ship and the rest as profit for head office and local garage. I'm guessing Alfa Italy probably mark it up horribly to start with, so the local garage makes most of its money on the labour. I wouldn't mind so much paying their hourly rate if it was applied to the 10mins it would take to screw it on, the half hour minimum just means any little job becomes expensive. And those diagrams, grrrrr, dare I say they must purposely make it hard to self order anything that's not obvious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Tipperary
Its typical and not at all acceptable. Why not name and shame the garages?

County: Cork
Garage
It seems both Parts Department seemed fairly helpful, I've always found that to be the case with the Alfa Dealer's I've visited

To be fair though I think it isn't too unreasonable to charge for a minimum 1/2 hour labour, if they didn't they'd probably end up getting loads of 10 minute niggley little jobs that would be more trouble that they were worth. eg Looking at it from their point of view it's hardly worth their while putting your car up on a ramp for €15.
The biggest problem though is that the rate is €90 per/hr

On the parts side of it I don't think there is really a huge profit to be made on many parts by the dealers here in Ireland, I'd guess a few € on the clamp.

I've seen some of those ePer drawings & to say some of them are a bit vague is a bit of an understatement

Out of interest Tim do you use either of the garages you visited for your servicing ?

Last edited by David P; 07-08-10 at 17:47. Reason: Thought something, typed something else :o
AO Silver Member

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

Tim the solution is easy. Ti Autos.
AO Gold Member

County: Kildare

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa155 TS View Post
Tim the solution is easy. Ti Autos.
+1 to that, no arseing around with Gerry
(Post Link) post #6 of 9 Old 08-08-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

159 3.2

Yeah, I think all the above is fair - my biggest gripe is the bloody computer diagrams, I don't think there's too much shame on the garages, perhaps the minimum fee (and the hourly rate!). I think they both acted reasonably helpfully, albeit in a somewhat standoffish way. I've given them both over a grand over the past 2 years between servicing and a knock, so it's times like these where you would think they could check their systems and do a "favour". Again, maybe a big city thing where they've so many customers you're just one in a crowd to them, but it's little things like these where you can engender real loyalty. If one of the garages involved had done me a favour, I probably would have shifted all my custom to them for the future, a hundred fold payback...

David - I know nothing about running a garage, but I would have thought people dropping in for 15 min jobs is extra business and a good thing. I'm not talking about chancing your arm and asking them to charge 15 mins for something that ends up taking 30 mins. If it's actual time charged, it's €90 an hour and no margin is lost. Instead now, if I need something like this in the future, I'm probably going to seek out Gerry, or if it's very basic try and do it myself.

County: Cork
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim159 View Post
David - I know nothing about running a garage, but I would have thought people dropping in for 15 min jobs is extra business and a good thing. I'm not talking about chancing your arm and asking them to charge 15 mins for something that ends up taking 30 mins. If it's actual time charged, it's €90 an hour and no margin is lost. Instead now, if I need something like this in the future, I'm probably going to seek out Gerry, or if it's very basic try and do it myself.
The point I was trying to make was that people dropping in off the street without having booked their car in can be a right pain for the garage especially if they are busy but I know it's not always possible, emergency breakdowns etc.

Again taking the garages point of view for a minute :

Someone arrives unannounced at the garage & wants their car put up on a ramp for whatever reason, if the garage agrees it's possibly a case of taking a car already on a ramp down & out of the garage ( maybe moving another few cars out of the garage for access to the ramp ) then putting the customers car on the ramp & doing the 15 min job. Now by the time the garage gets all the other cars back to where they were the 15 min job has cost the garage maybe 15 mins minimum & a lot more taking into account the possible disruption to the other cars & mechanics

There is also the fact that if this happened a few times every day think of the total time lost & the disruption to all the other jobs that were actually booked in for that particular day. Now who pays for the all the lost time due to disturbances during the day ? I doubt the few 15 min jobs would cover it.

So as I said I think charging a minimum 1/2 Hr is fair enough, what often makes it seem unreasonable though is if the part is less than the labour charge. It wouldn't seem so bad if the part was a €100 +

Last edited by David P; 08-08-10 at 12:05. Reason: spelling
AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim159 View Post
Yeah, I think all the above is fair - my biggest gripe is the bloody computer diagrams, I don't think there's too much shame on the garages, perhaps the minimum fee (and the hourly rate!). I think they both acted reasonably helpfully, albeit in a somewhat standoffish way. I've given them both over a grand over the past 2 years between servicing and a knock, so it's times like these where you would think they could check their systems and do a "favour". Again, maybe a big city thing where they've so many customers you're just one in a crowd to them, but it's little things like these where you can engender real loyalty. If one of the garages involved had done me a favour, I probably would have shifted all my custom to them for the future, a hundred fold payback...

David - I know nothing about running a garage, but I would have thought people dropping in for 15 min jobs is extra business and a good thing. I'm not talking about chancing your arm and asking them to charge 15 mins for something that ends up taking 30 mins. If it's actual time charged, it's 90 an hour and no margin is lost. Instead now, if I need something like this in the future, I'm probably going to seek out Gerry, or if it's very basic try and do it myself.
I can understand you being fed up about this. In years gone by someone would no doubt have nipped out to your car and had a quick look.Unfortunately life today is full of people who would take advantage of a cheap 10 mins on a ramp at the dealer. Once it became known the place would be flooded with every Tom, Dick and Ali after a freebie.
In reality there is no such thing as a ten minute job. Filling in job cards, driving in and out of the workshop,lifting the car up and down etc all take time.
AO Silver Member

County: Tipperary
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Double Six View Post
In reality there is no such thing as a ten minute job. Filling in job cards, driving in and out of the workshop,lifting the car up and down etc all take time.
Any good dealer will make the effort to make someone who calls in welcome, its all about the feel good factor and in im my own experience Fiat Alfa garages are lacking in this area.

Ive never had good service from any of the Fiat Alfa dealers i have been too, one reason i stopped buying anything new from them.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
acceptable

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page