Pre-NCT work. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 18 Old 21-07-10 Thread Starter
JCL
AO Member

County: Wicklow

Member car:

SuperB

Pre-NCT work.

I am booking in for the NCT and was going to give the engine a clean as in decoke etc and I'm wondering I need to look out for anything in particular with the 156 eg. Geometry, fuses, stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Longford
JCL, i'd agree with Zoro, unless you know 100% what your doing, & know how to fix anything if it goes wrong, the last thing i'd do is put a power washer to an engine, a clean engine that doesn't run isn't much use :-)

County: Cork
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCL View Post
I am booking in for the NCT and was going to give the engine a clean as in decoke etc and I'm wondering I need to look out for anything in particular with the 156 eg. Geometry, fuses, stuff.

The OP never mentioned power washing the engine
AO Silver Member

County: Tipperary
im not sure if you intended to power wash the engine however if you did, DONT, if the engine needs a clean used a damp cloth and maybe some gunk, alfa engines hate being power washed and they will quickly show you that upon start up
(Post Link) post #5 of 18 Old 21-07-10 Thread Starter
JCL
AO Member

Member car:

SuperB

Power wash my engine are you all mad I know its a diesel but a spray bottle and cloth is enough for the engine bay. I'm just looking to get her freshend up for the occasion so new air filter, oil + filter, brake fluid, etc.
AO Silver Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

seriously i dont think you need to clean the engne and bay, underneath around the wheels yes so they can look at all the hoses and pipes but i dont think you need to worry about theengine bay. Well not for the NCT anyway
AO Silver Member

County: Tipperary
the devils in the detail
(Post Link) post #8 of 18 Old 21-07-10 Thread Starter
JCL
AO Member

Member car:

SuperB

I think we have our wires crossed some what. Its not just the engine externally (although do I have to remove my engine cover ?) I'm talking about internally for emissions reasons.

Nice one Franko
Mario Andretti

Leave all the covers on the car and as regards the emissions it is only the density of the black smoke so if it is not smokey dont worry but the cam belt must be in good condition as you will have to sign the form saying so

AO Silver Member

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

I had the engine cover off last weekend. One word of advice, as you take any bits off put the screws into their hole. DONT leave somewhere you think they will safe
AO Silver Member

County: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCL View Post
I'm wondering I need to look out for anything in particular with the 156 eg. Geometry, fuses, stuff.
Top suspension arms seem to be a pretty common failure now given the age/ mileage of most cars, jack the car up and give the wheels a wiggle to check for play.
AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

My advice is to yes do the normal ****e and go and do the NCT . No use spending bobs on things you dont need and the NCT will tell you whats wrong if anything . Hope it passes I have mine in august but i am just going to take it along and see what happens . Now If they hurt my car on the rolling road I'll be dug outa them !
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 2.0 JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dermo View Post
My advice is to yes do the normal ****e and go and do the NCT . No use spending bobs on things you dont need and the NCT will tell you whats wrong if anything . Hope it passes I have mine in august but i am just going to take it along and see what happens . Now If they hurt my car on the rolling road I'll be dug outa them !
I`m with Dermo on this one. I don't see the point in doing up the car before the NCT and spend a few quid, just to see it fails on something and then spend some more.
(Post Link) post #14 of 18 Old 22-07-10 Thread Starter
JCL
AO Member

Member car:

SuperB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterio View Post
I`m with Dermo on this one. I don't see the point in doing up the car before the NCT and spend a few quid, just to see it fails on something and then spend some more.
Fluids, and fuses etc are all part of the general tlc she gets. I agree though in not spending big before only to fail on something else. I will have a look at the suspension arms but they were done recently so should be ok.
(Post Link) post #15 of 18 Old 23-07-10 Thread Starter
JCL
AO Member

Member car:

SuperB

Just standard enough stuff so. Thanks lads.
AO Silver Member

County: Kildare

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Speaking of the NCT, I noticed this evening mine is overdue-no reminder sent. Anyway, my MCSF (engine management) warning light has been on for the past few months. I don't think it's anything serious-my usual guys haven't been able to pinpoint the cause-the car drives fine.

Anyway, is this a NCT failure?
AO Gold Member

County: Kildare

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

I have never heard of them sending the letter but they always claim they do...
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 2.0 JTDm

They stopped sending letters. It's due to the owner to book it. As for the engine light:

Quote:
Today’s cars are fitted with a number of warning lamps on a dashboard that let the driver know if certain critical safety, performance and environmental features are not working properly. They are important safety features and it is in the interest of the driver and road safety that all safety systems in the vehicle are in full working order.

Vehicles will be checked to ensure that, where fitted, the malfunction indicators for Airbags, Electronic Stability Control (ESC) systems and Electronic Braking Systems (EBS) / Anti-Lock Brake system (ABS) are in correct working order. The vehicle will fail if a malfunction indicator is not working or indicates a defect in the system.
http://www.ncts.ie/images/NCT_DL.jpg

So I reckon that may include the engine light as well.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
prenct , work

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page