Donegal crash - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 20 Old 13-07-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Down

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

Donegal crash

I know it's nothing to do with Alfa,but my sympathies go to everyone on the Inishowen Peninsula after that awful crash.

RIP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: -
It's awful news for any town but it makes it a lot worse when it involves a small place like Buncrana.

R.I.P fellas
AO Silver Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

Brera 2.0 JTDm

Honestly I feel more sorry for the poor lad in the toyota that died.. RIP
(Post Link) post #4 of 20 Old 13-07-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Down

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

The poor lad was actually a 66 year old man coming back from bingo....very sad.
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa-less :-(

Another appalling motoring tragedy on the Inishowen peninsula. Very sad scenes on the news
AO Silver Member

County: Longford
obviously it goes without saying that the loss of any life on irish roads is awful, but at what stage do you reckon people will get the point that at the end of the day we all have to grow up, stop acting like morons & drive safely.

Look we all speed, but the risks they took killed 7 of them & that poor 66 year old going home from Bingo. The driver of the Megane was lucky (the one they "clipped"!)

I'm sick of people coming out after & saying the roads need improving, my ar*e they do, we need to start driving to the road conditions & stop thinking we're invincible!

As a nation our driving is rubbish, we need to cop on!

146, 147, 156, 164, 166, GTV - This is becoming a bit obsessive!
AO Gold Member

County: Kildare

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby2449 View Post
obviously it goes without saying that the loss of any life on irish roads is awful, but at what stage do you reckon people will get the point that at the end of the day we all have to grow up, stop acting like morons & drive safely.

Look we all speed, but the risks they took killed 7 of them & that poor 66 year old going home from Bingo. The driver of the Megane was lucky (the one they "clipped"!)

I'm sick of people coming out after & saying the roads need improving, my ar*e they do, we need to start driving to the road conditions & stop thinking we're invincible!

As a nation our driving is rubbish, we need to cop on!
I agree with everything you say regarding driving to the road conditions and our driving in general but in any other nation there are no such thing as accident black spots, if it is a black spot the road is improved where here we stick a sign up and hope that people will take heed. On that stretch of road there are 10 black spots according to the Garda.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

I too agree with everything that is said here lads . Its a shame to see all the people (young and old) die in such a horrific way. I feel so sorry for the survivor and his family as well as he and they have to live in the community where all these lives were snuffed out . I dont care what or how the accident happened , no one will ever really know what actually happened . Agree stick up a sign and that's the council's job done . If the people who are making money out of us motorist's were really worried about the carnage on our roads , they would bring down the price of new cars , insurance etc , which would lead to better cars on our roads . Then most people may have cars with driver aids like abs, ebd etc and would be able to afford good quality tyres which would help cut road deaths and injuries . But again the people that are makimg money don't care as the more accidents the more they can hike insurance cost etc. We are the only country that charge VAT on safety items installed on vehicles

Run away with my wife kill my child but dont touch my car

CYCLISTS! THEY PAY NOTHING I TELL YA NOTHING
FRANKLY i DON'T GIVE A DAMN
IF THE ABS LIGHT IS ON ITS TOO LATE !
100% OF NON SMOKERS DIE TOO
AO Member

County: Londonderry
All cars have a driver aid to help with 'black spots", it's called a brake pedal. Sure the roads are not great so you drive accordingly, not stuff eight young lads in one car.

Awful for the families and friends but when are people ever going to learn driving is a privilege not a right of passage.
AO Member

County: Cork

Member car:

156Ti 1.8

Those lads were in a new model passat, that probably has all the aides a man could want. The car can't make decisions for you, thats why accidents happen. People need to be educated properly, the driving test here isn't thorough enough here imo.
Correct me if I'm wrong but in Sweden they send you out on a skid-pan and stuff during the test, that's the kind of thing we need to make the roads safer.
Drivers in this country could be world champions at reversing around a corner but when things go wrong people haven't a clue how to react.
AO Silver Member

Yeah that Passat would have had a bunch of electronic goodies to help keep it on the road.

It's very sad for all concerned. That driver of the Passat is in for some land when/if he wakes up ok. very sad.

I wonder if the actual cause of the crash will be made public? (besides the overloading of the car).
AO Member

County: Arizona
Funnily enough I agree with everything that was said above - including where you're at opposites.

Ultimately - the end result is tragic. Worst amount of deaths in a single car accident in the country on record. Sympathies go out to all families involved.

However, 8 ppl in a saloon is asking for trouble. First off you probably only have seat belts for 5!, so there are at a min 3 to bounce around inside the car to cause even more damage to everyone. Plus having done similar back in my youth I can definitely say it is extremely distracting have 6 of similar age in a saloon, never mind 8.

I won't comment on if they were speeding or not as it's not been disclosed - only that the Pasat clipped a megane. No info as to who was at fault for the clipping.
That stretch of road has accident black spots, but it doesn't mention how close to any the accident occurred. It may have been a factor, it might not have... Either way the car is modern, but lets not forget that many modern cars in Ireland are stripped of safety features due to the idiotic VRT situation

I do believe our roads are really bad, and the vast majority don't know how to handle them, and/or don't realise that they need to adjust their style to the conditions. I blame the way we teach people to drive in this country - if you can in fact call it teaching...
Lets face it - the test is done on driving in a manner that no-one follows as soon as they get that L plate off their car. Teaching for the vast majority is done by anyone who wants to setup a "driving school". And you never teach/learn on the ****e roads which make up 90% of this countries roads, and/or motorways. The whole thing is a joke and a mess.
And lets not mention those that got freebie full licenses in the 70s...
AO Silver Member

Member car:

BMW E92 320D

Just an update, supposedly the driver is in a stable condition.

8 in a car is dumb, and its absurd when there are 8 in a car and you put yourself in a position where you can have 2 car crashes in the space of a few hundred yards. I feel sorry for the 66 yr old and his family, they probably feel they cant vent their anger/frustration in public over young lads driving without due care (it appears that way at least)
AO Gold Member

County: Brokopondo
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfa_daryl View Post
just an update, supposedly the driver is in a stable condition.

8 in a car is dumb, and its absurd when there are 8 in a car and you put yourself in a position where you can have 2 car crashes in the space of a few hundred yards. I feel sorry for the 66 yr old and his family, they probably feel they cant vent their anger/frustration in public over young lads driving without due care (it appears that way at least)
+1
AO Silver Member

County: Kildare

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikd View Post
Ultimately - the end result is tragic. Worst amount of deaths in a single car accident in the country on record. Sympathies go out to all families involved.
I think this is all that needs to be said at this point.
AO Member

A car with 5 people handles a lot differently than a car with a lone driver, this I feel may have been a factor in a lot of fatal accidents we've had in this country over the years, this is even more of a factor when you consider the amount of young drivers that have been forced into buying small cars because of high insurance premiums.
8 people in a car is similar to cattle in a cattle truck there is a fair bit of weight transfer when the vehicle goes round a corner, the Passat is not a small car and the lad that was driving it may have been well able to handle it at the speed he was going but was he experienced enough to know how different his car was going to react when it had the weight of eight people in it.
This unfortunate young lad didn't set out to kill his 7 friends and even if it turns out the first car he clipped was at fault he should have never agreed to carry 7 people in his car.
I look back when I was a young driver and think of some of the stupid things I done, luckily for me none of those things had any serious consequences.
R.I.P
AO Silver Member

County: Tipperary
I agreed with all of the above post, this accident is heart breaking along with alot of crashes we have read of over the years,

Accidents are usually caused by a combination of bad decisions and this will probably prove to be the same.

I have drove in alot of places around the world especially in some third world african countries where accidents like this are a regular thing, and in my opinion the driving culture in ireland is very poor, we all lack discipline
on the roads from the time to time.

I think all of us need to try and offer a better example to each other and especially young people on the road,

Just my opinions guys.
AO Silver Member

Franko, couldn't agree with you more.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherb View Post
I wonder if the actual cause of the crash will be made public? (besides the overloading of the car).
Not much to say really. The car belonged to one of the fellas in the car and no drink or drugs were involved.
AO Silver Member

watching the news, its awful, one of the guys was to celebrate his 20th birthday today. So many lives ruined, will we ever learn?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
crash , donegal

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page