Polo + Alfa = Crying woman + bent metal - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 24 Old 12-07-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Wicklow
Cry Like A Baby Polo + Alfa = Crying woman + bent metal

Leopardstown roundabout, indicating to the left to get out to the business park. Statinary brand new Polo on the Leopardsotwn road. Me almost out of the roundabout, when she accelerates bang into my rear wheel. Pulled over, she's shaking and crying, I'm sad.

She accepted liability ("I think so"), exchanged details. Called my insurance company, RSA, they asked if I want to get the job done on my insurance. Why should I, I asked, she accepted it was her fault. Then call her insurance company, FBD. I do, they said they don't take claims before 2 pm, they are busy.

What can I do?
My alloy is fecked, cut in the rear panel above the wheel, ABS and VDC light came on immediately, I'm sure there are bent suspension arms too. Rear bumper is damaged as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Cork

Member car:

BMW E92 320D

Ouch, sorry to hear about it. A right PITA car crashes are. VDC and ABS hopefully just because the sensor got a whack and no arm damage. I know her insurance will cover it but just thinking of your time getting it repaired.
AO Silver Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

Brera 2.0 JTDm

Oh jaysus man, sorry to hear about that. That is one brilliant car there and hope she will be back on the road ASAP.
AO Silver Member

County: Kildare

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

So you were on Leopardstown Road indicating to go left into the Business Park and she rear-ended you? Her fault, end of story. Upseeting for her, but that's life.

Get the work done in Dennings in Tallaght-very professional, and handy for Leopardstown.

You can go ahead and get the work done through your insurers who then get recovery from her insurers and your claims history is not affected-this is the quick way of doing it-you may have to wait a while for the other insurers to approve.

Getting the alloy could be a problem-give Alasta or Donohues a call I guess-hopefully they are still available new.

Cowboys Ted, they're a bunch of cowboys!
AO Silver Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by klapanciusz View Post
Leopardstown roundabout, indicating to the left to get out to the business park. Statinary brand new Polo on the Leopardsotwn road. Me almost out of the roundabout, when she accelerates bang into my rear wheel. Pulled over, she's shaking and crying, I'm sad.

She accepted liability ("I think so"), exchanged details. Called my insurance company, RSA, they asked if I want to get the job done on my insurance. Why should I, I asked, she accepted it was her fault. Then call her insurance company, FBD. I do, they said they don't take claims before 2 pm, they are busy.

What can I do?
My alloy is fecked, cut in the rear panel above the wheel, ABS and VDC light came on immediately, I'm sure there are bent suspension arms too. Rear bumper is damaged as well.

I hate to say it but it sounds like the car will be a cat C write off... any suspension damage tends to cat C an older car, a lower wishbone alone isn't cheap, thow in a couple of hunderd for the wheel, about 400 for a bumper, the rear 1/4 panel repair, paint, labour and the fact they probably set the value of the car at about £1500, and its very unlikely its going to be repaired.

the ABS and VDC lights sugest something took out the ABS sensor or its wire..

might be worth buying it back and having it repaired independantly, but bear in mind the cars value will be slightly reduced with a cat C or D write off against it.

my mates MR2 wasn't actualy massivley damaged (although a lot more than yours) when he hit a bus, but it was cat B so no option of buying back.

its criminal how keen insurance companies are to write cars off with such little damage.

Be judged for the man you are, and the actions of your life, not the book you read or the statue you pray to.......

Never hold a grudge, its a sign of a small, petty person.
(Post Link) post #6 of 24 Old 12-07-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

I hope not. Just got new shocks and springs, and I love this car, this is the only one in the country (there was no record of even a similar car in the VRT database when I imported it from the UK)
AO Member

Member car:

916 Spider

I hope this works out ok for you - Something like this is a real worry of mine now that insurance companies value my spider at about 100 euro now.....
(Post Link) post #8 of 24 Old 12-07-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

phew, I just got a call, Crofton motors in Kimmage will repair the car, they have links with the new Alfa and Fiat dealership in Goatstown.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 2.0 JTDm

Quote:
phew, I just got a call, Crofton motors in Kimmage will repair the car, they have links with the new Alfa and Fiat dealership in Goatstown.
Phew indeed, the only 3.0 in Ireland has to mean something
AO Silver Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Quote:
I hope not. Just got new shocks and springs, and I love this car, this is the only one in the country (there was no record of even a similar car in the VRT database when I imported it from the UK)
that could very well work in your flavour, as you can argue a higher value based on market value - if there are no comparable cars around, you cannot replace it, so you'd have to base the value on the cost of finding an equivalent car in the UK and importing to Eire

hope it works out, and you get yours repaired. fingers crossed for you.
K9d
AO Silver Member

County: Wiltshire
Ouch, bad news about the crash

Hope it all gets sorted for you
mo4
AO Member

County: -
Sorry to hear your woes.

Insurance claims are never black and white when the damage is on the side of a car.
Beware that quite often they decide roundabout incidents 50/50 (if no-one formally accepts responisibility)

For your insurer, draw some nice diagrams of the raod, the position of the cars and get some photos of where it happened, road markings etc.
Basically if your photos, maps, drawings are better than hers you'll win

County: Cork
Garage
Sorry to hear about the 166 Hopefully it gets sorted out without too much trouble though
AO Silver Member

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

no harm either getting her admittance in writing or her ringing up either insurance company and saying so.
(Post Link) post #15 of 24 Old 12-07-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Her insurance company rang me up to organize the repair, and I even get a replacement Mazda6. I'm going to insist of getting a 4 wheel alignment done, so I can compare the printout to the one I did before I went to the Alps a few months ago.

thanks for all your support, I feel better now, hopefully Böhöm will be in good hands
AO Gold Member

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

So sorry to hear that Levante, let me know if there is anything I can do, you know I only live 2 minutes away.I'll talk to the missus now and she will advise on the best thing to do, she has worked in insurance for 4 years (all be it with Quinn )
AO Gold Member

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

You call you're car frisky!!!
AO Silver Member

She's admitted liability!!!!. Good news for you but I thought the golden rule was never accept liability in an incident?
Tut tut tut her insurance company may not be too happy with her for that.
Hope you get it sorted out without too much hassle.
AO Member

Member car:

916 Spider

Quote:
Originally Posted by davieb156 View Post
I thought the golden rule was never accept liability in an incident?
There is nothing more frustrating than being hit by someone who has done this...

A long time back a guy drove into the back of my car while I was stopped at red light with my handbrake on and then tried the 'I don't know what happened' routine - I couldn't believe he had the neck to look at me blankly after running into me unquestionably his fault...

I am from the 'If you f*** up, own up' school of thinking... These things come back to you eventually....
(Post Link) post #20 of 24 Old 12-07-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

<off/>I also believe this Karma thing (so I do random acts of kindnesss to balance my huge deficit), ChrisS had a great post about this the other day
AO Silver Member

Ah jeez, that's terrible. It good to hear that they have decided to repair rather than pay out though
AO Gold Member

County: Carlow
Beautiful car you've got. Don't let them kill it...
AO Member

County: Arizona
Unlucky there klapanciusz
At least your getting the work done on it - just make sure it's done well..
Damien_C

Ahh god Klap never thought that would happen to you I know what it feels like have crashed 2 for me and never want to do it again. I only ever hit one car and never want to go through that again it was painful to say the least and costly. But sure you live and learn. Hopefully they get the paint matched up correctly etc for you if it's just arms and the like shouldn't be too bad to fix.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
alfa , bent , crying , metal , polo , woman

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page