My 159 and a Porsche Carrera 4 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 25 Old 29-06-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Limerick

Member car:

159 1.8 Turismo

My 159 and a Porsche Carrera 4

Hello all.
Was coming out of a supermarket today after work, as I walked towards my 159 I was surprised to see a Porsche Carrera 4 parked next to it...I have to say even though the Porsche is probably eight times more expensive than my 159 I still think the 159 is just as sexy looking as the Carrera, if not nicer...I am easy to please!!

Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Damien_C

Ahh the porsche is just a posh beetle But ya the 159 is an epic car everytime I see one I just have to look at them especially in black with a nice set of wheels.

AO Gold Member

County: Kildare

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Had the same experience with my cousins 993, still an amazing car though.
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_rAhytjfgJF0/Ss...3102009580.jpg
(Post Link) post #4 of 25 Old 29-06-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

159 1.8 Turismo

Have to say your GTV has far more soul than the 993 Gav.."Niente non ha tanta anima come un Alfa Romeo!!!"
AO Silver Member

County: Cork
Ah, parliamo l'italiano qui ora? Ottimo.. bene sono d'accordo con il primo messaggio! Un'automobile tedesca e appena una macchina. Ma un'automobile italiana e come una padrona.

Sorry...... so conas ata tu anyway?
AO Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish147 View Post
Hello all.
Was coming out of a supermarket today after work, as I walked towards my 159 I was surprised to see a Porsche Carrera 4 parked next to it...I have to say even though the Porsche is probably eight times more expensive than my 159 I still think the 159 is just as sexy looking as the Carrera, if not nicer...I am easy to please!!

Pete
Pete,

I ran a 996 Carrera 4 for fives years until this May, the 911 has "maintained" it's classic shape and engine layout since it's inception more than a half century ago, it is the essence (along with the unique engine whail and immense handling) of what a 911 is and makes the car immediately recognisable unlike most of the drab square boxes that travel the roads today.

In a way Alfa Romeo is similar, they are distinctive motor cars, striking and unlike anything else on the road, I consider the 156 I ran from 2001 - 2008 a thing of beauty and wouldn't mind driving another.

Which is better to look at, well the Porsche is an acquired taste for some and certain angles are better than others but you can't tell me you wouldn't take a second look at that a**
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rear View.jpg (116.6 KB, 3 views)
(Post Link) post #7 of 25 Old 30-06-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

159 1.8 Turismo

Sorry Alfa Racer, but Porsches along with a lot of German cars tend to be fairly boring and predictable..in my humble opinion. Don't get me wrong I am not out to dis Porsche drivers, you obviously loved your 996 and that's excellent, I have driven 911's, two 928,s and a lovely 944 and have to say they did nothing for me...they felt souless and I suppose Germanic. Hey everyone to their own!!!

Pete
(Post Link) post #8 of 25 Old 30-06-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

159 1.8 Turismo

Hey Cherb..
I wish I could speak italian.....an on-line English to Italian converter came to my aid!

Pete
AO Silver Member

County: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa Racer View Post
you can't tell me you wouldn't take a second look at that a**
I can, I hate them. I can see the appeal both in terms of styling and engineering but they're not for me.
(Post Link) post #10 of 25 Old 30-06-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

159 1.8 Turismo

Ciao Cherb, mi dà una bellezza italiana sopra un tedesco imballa qualunque giorno!!
AO Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

Volvo 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10,500RPM View Post
I can, I hate them. I can see the appeal both in terms of styling and engineering but they're not for me.
I agree, mouldy looking yokes altogether!
What annoys me even more is the balding, mid life crisis survivor driving the thing like its a boat!
Floor it ye goon!!
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Ciao Cherb, mi dà una bellezza italiana sopra un tedesco imballa qualunque giorno!!
Sono d'accordo. (I agree).
AO Member

Member car:

156Ti 1.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherb View Post
Sono d'accordo. (I agree).
Where does someone from Cork learn Italian, you're the first person I've seen who can
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy1982 View Post
What annoys me even more is the balding, mid life crisis survivor driving the thing like its a boat!
Floor it ye goon!!
Ah, so well said...

This is kind of off topic, but last summer I was parked outside the Imperial Hotel in Cork waiting for my missus. A purpley/blue 2001 D Reg Porsche Boxter pulls up to a red light being driven by two blonde girls... mid 20's I'm guessing, very attractive (I'm not hanging out of my car window here or anything). So far picture looking good, right?

The driver was revving the car so was expecting a pretty good show when the lights changed. Anyway lights popped green, driver pops the clutch and the car disappeared behind a cloud of smoke.

Let me describe the smoke: Just imagine a sexy Alfa 33 hammering into the last right bend just before the long stretch on the Mondello park circuit. (sorry.. only joking). but you get the picture..

Anyway the poor old Porsche limps away from the lights up the road in a very un-dramatic getaway leaving a vapour trail all the way up the South Mall in Cork... the engine must have been knackered big time... but I must say it made all the right noises. It was the first time I felt sorry for a German car....

I'm guessing the bills for a car like to put right must be crazy? It was a year 2001 so would it make it technically a write-off? Car like that be worth 10k tops?

Anonima Lombarda Fabbrica Automobili, Guidare come se fosse un Italiano.

AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooman View Post
Where does someone from Cork learn Italian, you're the first person I've seen who can
Hello Mooman... so you're thinking about buying your first Alfa? Go on do it, you know you want to. You won't look back.

Yea the Italian comes easy after you write your first couple of warranty letters to the Pomigliano d´Arco or Milan head offices... naaw only joking..

What model of Alfa are you looking at?
AO Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Quote:
Sorry Alfa Racer, but Porsches along with a lot of German cars tend to be fairly boring and predictable..in my humble opinion. Don't get me wrong I am not out to dis Porsche drivers, you obviously loved your 996 and that's excellent, I have driven 911's, two 928,s and a lovely 944 and have to say they did nothing for me...they felt souless and I suppose Germanic. Hey everyone to their own!!!

Pete
Pete,

No problem everyones got to have an opinion it evokes thought, innovation and change.

I find the 911 anything but boring, they are very individual looking and certainly quirky from the instrumentation layout through to the engine.

But then I'm a petrolhead and just enjoy cars and racing, I've owned and driven many cars and can find good in most of them but didn't expect much love for 911's on a Alfa site, so haven't been disappointed.
AO Member

Member car:

156 GTA

I love Porsche. I love the history, the pedigree, the quality of the cars, the dynamics, and the absolute driver's machine that some of their cars are. A Boxster S is quite simply one of the best road cars I've ever had the pleasure of putting around Mondello. Utterly balanced and composed, superb grunt, pedal setup so good that I had no problem H/T into Honda on lap 1.

Some of the lesser models are bland, like all car manufacturers. Lets not kid ourselves, a 156 1.8 isn't a GTA, a 316i isn't an M3 and a Carrera4 isn't a Turbo. But if I'm ever in a position to buy and run a Porsche I like then certainly, there's nothing in the Alfa stable that could tempt me to stay. The 964, 993 and 997 and truly beautiful cars. RS, Turbo, GT2, GT3, GT3RS ... I was tempted by Boxsters recently while car hunting, but the S was outside what I was willing to spend unfortunately.
AO Member

Member car:

156Ti 1.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherb View Post
Hello Mooman... so you're thinking about buying your first Alfa? Go on do it, you know you want to. You won't look back.

Yea the Italian comes easy after you write your first couple of warranty letters to the Pomigliano d´Arco or Milan head offices... naaw only joking..

What model of Alfa are you looking at?
Either a 1.6 147 or 1.8 156, I can't separate the two on looks or how they drive. I'm going to see a 156 tomorrow morning tho so hopefully I'll be a fully fledged member by the weekend
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa Racer View Post
Pete,

No problem everyones got to have an opinion it evokes thought, innovation and change.

I find the 911 anything but boring, they are very individual looking and certainly quirky from the instrumentation layout through to the engine.

But then I'm a petrolhead and just enjoy cars and racing, I've owned and driven many cars and can find good in most of them but didn't expect much love for 911's on a Alfa site, so haven't been disappointed.
Sorry but the Carrera 4 is a Beautifull car imho but as you said everybody is entitled to their opinion . I also like the old Saab 900's as they were different than the run of the mill cars of the time . As they say beauty is skin deep but ugly goes to the bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianeire View Post
I love Porsche. I love the history, the pedigree, the quality of the cars, the dynamics, and the absolute driver's machine that some of their cars are. A Boxster S is quite simply one of the best road cars I've ever had the pleasure of putting around Mondello. Utterly balanced and composed, superb grunt, pedal setup so good that I had no problem H/T into Honda on lap 1.

Some of the lesser models are bland, like all car manufacturers. Lets not kid ourselves, a 156 1.8 isn't a GTA, a 316i isn't an M3 and a Carrera4 isn't a Turbo. But if I'm ever in a position to buy and run a Porsche I like then certainly, there's nothing in the Alfa stable that could tempt me to stay. The 964, 993 and 997 and truly beautiful cars. RS, Turbo, GT2, GT3, GT3RS ... I was tempted by Boxsters recently while car hunting, but the S was outside what I was willing to spend unfortunately.
+1
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 2.0 JTDm

Anyone ever looked at the Porsche's engine bay ?

Looks like a 90's washing mashine. I'd rather have a Lambo or a Maser

Last edited by Mysterio; 24-09-11 at 18:05.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterio View Post
Anyone ever looked at the Porsche's engine bay ?

Looks like a 90's washing mashine. I'd rather have a Lambo or a Maser
Are you sure thats not a MAZDA 121
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 2.0 JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dermo View Post
Google made me do it !

AO Gold Member

County: Kildare

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dermo View Post
No I think it is a Zanuzzi
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy1982 View Post
Floor it ye goon!!
That is also true for Lotus' and VX220's etc, they're like Harley Davidsons, fashion accessories for knobs.
911 Turbo + Nurburgring = Hero
911 turbo + a weekly visit to the chemist = fail
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTV Gav View Post
No I think it is a Zanuzzi
Ah the appliance of science . So was the 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterio View Post
Google made me do it !

That's what I love someone who takes the blame :

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
159 , carrera , porsche

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page