Looking to buy my first Alfa Romeo soon! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 10 Old 18-06-10 Thread Starter

County: West End
Wave Looking to buy my first Alfa Romeo soon!

Hi all,

New to the forum, currently living in the Cayman Islands but moving to live in Ireland next month.

I've been checking out the 156 range of Alfa Romeo's and am almost convinced it's the right car for me. I haven't always wanted an Alfa, but recently, the more I've looked in to getting one, the more I want one!

Naturally the horror stories, rumours and all round negative reputation Alfa Romeo has in terms of reliability and cost of ownership is a huge concern to me.

I want an Alfa but I don't want a lemon.

I'll be moving to Dublin and am looking to source a good quality 156 (preferably around that area). I really think colour wise I'm looking at 'Alfa red', silver, blue or black. I found a couple online for sale and am looking to get some initial impressions from forum users on whether these may be good buys. Gives you an idea of my budget too.

Cars Online Alfa Romeo 156 1.8 LUSSO 4DR 41 (2004)

2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6petrol TOP SPEC for sale in Wexford: €4,250 - DoneDeal.ie

PRICE DROP 05 Alfa Romeo 156 ti for sale in Limerick: €5,990 - DoneDeal.ie

2004 Alfa-Romeo 156 TI For Sale - Octane.ie

Many thanks for any advice you may be able to give me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

Brera 2.0 JTDm

If you're moving in Dublin, we can meet and I can show you my car. It is a silver 156 from 2001.

Generally:

1. Timing belts need to be done every 36k miles or 3 years, whichever comes first.
2. Suspension parts are worn quickly and can ruin the feeling on the car
3. Usually you have to be careful when buying the car and check thoroughly as you may spot rust under the car.
4. Never buy it if it doesn't have any service history at all.
5. Engine wise, I suggest you go for the 2.0 litre TwinSpark, it's the best of the bunch around town.

And also Welcome to AO

Rob

AO Member

Member car:

916 Spider

IF you are moving to Dublin a call to Gerry Campbell of TI autos may be worthwhile, he usually knows of any good cars that might be up for sale too...
AO Gold Member

County: Kildare

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Hi and welcome along.

For me it would be between 2 and 4 in your list, no. 2 doesnt have much details, so what you save on price you will have to budget to get done. For a large service budget around €800 and of course you can use that as a bargaining chip. If you are lucky it may have all the big jobs done and they just want to get rid of it hence the price.

Number 4 looks like it has everything done and is owned by an enthusiast so you know that it probably wont need much to be done to it and that is reflected in the price.

2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6petrol TOP SPEC for sale in Wexford: €4,250 - DoneDeal.ie

2004 Alfa-Romeo 156 TI For Sale - Octane.ie

Like AO - RoI on Facebook AO - RoI Facebook Group

Subscribe to AO - RoI on YouTube AO RoI YouTube

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Cogito ergo sumo Alfa
AO Member

Member car:

Volvo 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cibo View Post
IF you are moving to Dublin a call to Gerry Campbell of TI autos may be worthwhile, he usually knows of any good cars that might be up for sale too...
Actually gerry is selling a cracking little 156 at the moment, it's a 1.6, 2000, black, 95k on the clock, he's replaced everything on it! nice alloys and interior is pristine considering the mileage, and it drives like a dream, and i'm used to the gta, id recommend that!
AO Silver Member

County: Tipperary
A big welcome Pyongyang, as my grandad told mt dad when he bought his first alfa, buy a box of spanners and get handy

wish you all the best, if you ever think of a 155 please let me know, best of luck mate
(Post Link) post #7 of 10 Old 26-06-10 Thread Starter

County: West End
Thanks a million all! I'm still looking online all the time for a good one. Just a quick question, what's a 156 like for insurance and tax?

I'm 30, no claims ever, been driving over 6 years but my UK no claims would have expired some time ago and I doubt my Cayman no claims would count either, suppose I could ask though.
AO Silver Member

County: Cork
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyongyang View Post
Thanks a million all! I'm still looking online all the time for a good one. Just a quick question, what's a 156 like for insurance and tax?

I'm 30, no claims ever, been driving over 6 years but my UK no claims would have expired some time ago and I doubt my Cayman no claims would count either, suppose I could ask though.
Tax and insurance depends on the cc size of the engine, or, if the car is post 2007 it's based on CO2. Goto to www.motortax.ie to get the rates for the engine size you choose.

This may sound obvious but Insurance depends again on NCB and how long you held your licence etc. Again do a google search for Irish insurance and do some online quotes. I always found of you can get your wife/girlfriend on the policy it will bring down the premium. ( not both or they will fight... ) do shop around because there are differences in premium prices.

I'm just north of 35 (ahem) and the quote for a 156 2.0 Ts is euro 530 comp with full NCB with wife on policy too.

So youre moving from the Caymens? Before you move can you check an old local bank account for me if i fax you the details?

......... Revenue I'm only joking about the account. Honestly.

Anonima Lombarda Fabbrica Automobili, Guidare come se fosse un Italiano.

AO Silver Member

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

Welcome along Pyongyang, nice name. If your going to be driving around town lot then the 1.8/2.0 will not be anyway economical. However the 1.6 may be lacking a bit of power so its a trade off i suppose. Take Mysterio up on his offer so you can get a feel for a156. Personally if I was buying a 156 I'd buy the facelift Ti version. As the lads said tax is down to engine size but I'd say your no claims in England wont stand to you over here as Insurance companies are bunch of moneygrabbers, especially for male drivers.

Dont bend the rules, Rule the bends
AO Silver Member

County: Wicklow
if you're not moving over in the next 6 month, then buy the best Alfa you can, and import it, so you won't have to pay VRT (bing for VRT calculator)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
alfa , buy , romeo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page