So i've decided that i really need a Sud. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 12 Old 12-05-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Wicklow

Member car:

Giulia TI

So i've decided that i really need a Sud.

After seeing this picture i need one badly!

http://www.italian-classics.net/Bild...t%20veloce.jpg

The thing is . I'm 25 in December so can't get classic insurance until then. I also need to find a good one because i don't have the skills for a restoration job. Do any of you lot own one? I would be keeping the 156 for an everyday car but this would be a weekend motor. Need to start saving but i would just like to know if there are any sud heads around Dublin that sell cars or restore them?

Basicly just info gathering at the moment. I know nothing about them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

Brera 2.0 JTDm

AO Member

County: Cork
I agree bat ! I would love to own one too, I've had many Alfa's but never a sud (Drove one in the UK a few years ago -----boxer free reving engine that handles !!) very interesting story too, Milan decided (with help from Italian Govt) to build it in the south or 'sud'of Italy, the sud was built by poorly skilled part-time farmers with poor russian steel......but the design & engineering was the forefather of the modern 'hatch back' (i think designed before the boring VW Golf). If the Sud was built in Milan by a trained work force with good quality materials (like all pre alfetta & alfasud era ALFAs) I reckon Alfa Romeo would be the biggest player in European motoring today.

Just look at this shape.... http://www.soltanto-alfaromeo.nl/ima...alfasud-ti.jpg

I want one....I want one
AO Silver Member

County: Louth

Member car:

33 16v

There are some suds knocking around but not too many for sale. Even fewer fully restored ones. The sprint (like the one in your photo) are thin on the ground too over here. They come up pretty regularly on ebay in the UK though.

I'm sure you've heard about the rust horror stories. The problem isn't overstated and they dissolve with gusto so getting a good one and keeping an eye on it is essential unless you plan going down the restoration route.

Good ones are a thing of beauty though. I'd love one but the 33 gives me my boxer engine fix.
AO Silver Member

County: Kildare

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

A good Sud will cost a lot of money. A restoration project will cost both time and money. Read Kevin McBride's advice in our project car thread-the likes of a Sud is not a good idea for a first time project.
(Post Link) post #6 of 12 Old 12-05-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulia TI

Ah lads your killin my dream here!

I wonder how much a fully refurbed one would be???
AO Silver Member

County: Louth

Member car:

33 16v

Budget 4k anyway for a good one. They can be found for less but will have issues. Have a spin in one first before you commit, they take some getting used to.

I dont think they are too bad in terms of a first project but you need to be prepared to put the effort into getting/keeping the bodywork right. Mechanicals are bulletproof.

This one looks promising:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1982-ALFA-ROME...item4aa0efc528
(Post Link) post #8 of 12 Old 13-05-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulia TI

That one looks nice but i would be thinking of buying one early next year (work permitting).

Can you buy coil overs and all that good stuff for them still if you got a refurbed one? I would need to but a set of those split rims on it.
AO Member

Alfaguy on Octane was thinking of selling his '83 TI Sud a while back. Might be worth giving him a shout..
(Post Link) post #10 of 12 Old 13-05-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulia TI

I wouldn't want to waste his time. I won't be buying one that soon.
AO Silver Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

Well your certainly aiming high bat. Thats a Sud Sprint in your photo as opposed to the Alfa Sud. The Sprint is the later version, late 80s I think. They are as rare as hens teeth in Ireland. The only time I ever see Suds is when I drop into Ti Autos Gerry is often working one of very few around Dublin. The only Sprints I've seen are at car shows with NI reg plates.
As the lads said to buy one in good condition your talking a couple of grrand and I hope you have a garage otherwise forget it. They were actually built using recycled metal from old FIAT locomotives and where not galvanised. You really need to know your stuff aswell taking on one of these. I do know of a lad in Cork who has a standard Sud and is selling it, its in really good condition bar a bit o rust on the front left panel. I can email you on his details and all photos if you want but its not a sprint or Sud Ti, just a standard Sud.

YouTube - waking up alfa romeo sprint 1.7QV

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-n0X...os=MWRopFnWeNI

Dont bend the rules, Rule the bends
AO Member

County: Cork
I dont think there is any need to fit coilovers or anything else to the sud or sprint, they really were well sorted in the handling department...Molls Gap The last Sud Ti I bought was while I was working in England in 1989, it had been lowered and it handled like muck..sometimes these things are better left alone..

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
decided , sud

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page