75 on track tomorrow - kirkistown - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 15 Old 08-04-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Louth
75 on track tomorrow - kirkistown

taking the 75 out tomorrow at kirkistown. really looking forward to it. I had it out in mondello before, but the tyres were well ropey, the track was damp, and i couldnt keep it in a straight line

tomorrow should be a bit different, with a dry track, some stickier tyres, and i cant wait!!

pictures and write up to follow!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Cork
****, love to go and see that
AO Silver Member

County: Kildare

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

On a Friday....bummer.

Pics and a write up would be great though.
AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

Pity its a friday would love to see it as well ... looking forward to the Pics
(Post Link) post #5 of 15 Old 09-04-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

well im back in one piece. Car is one piece. rear brakes are shot :-o

ill do a write up later on, and post some pics, but now, im off for a beer!

For anyone who hasnt been, kirkistown is an easy, fast circuit. I love it!!
Damien_C

Good man, Kirkistown is meant to be great craic. According to one of the lads when he went up there in a Carlton years ago was laughing the whole way home lol.

AO Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

159 3.2

Deadly - would love to try up there sometime. Did you keep it flat through turn 1 (think that's supposed to be the challenge!). Looking forward to the pics.
AO Silver Member

County: -
Ah balls I was off work today. Wish I had of noticed this yesterday
(Post Link) post #9 of 15 Old 11-04-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

so here is the write up!

The track day was organised by the lotus club ireland, which is a lotus enthusiast club. They organise several track days during the year and are very enjoyable.

Anyway, the day started when i met up with some other people at the city north hotel, followed by a 2 hour spin to the ferry, then 10 minutes to kirkistown. Kirkistown is besdie a town called Kircubbin, on the ards penninsula (i think), just north of strangford. Its about 1.5 miles long, and is very very fast.

I was in the 75, 1990 ts with a mixture of koni and spax suspension, uprated arbs, uprated disks, pads, lilnes and good fluid. Have bridgestone potenzas on the rear, and cheap chinese on the front. Other cars on the day were lots opf lotus elises, 111r,s exiges, etc. BMW m3, merc amg55 sl, couple of pug 309's and i think that was it.

So we got to kirkistown, about 9 am. signed on, got our wrist bands and waited for the briefing. After the briefing,we had breakfast b efore the track was finally opened. I think i was first out

For anyone who hasnt driven kirkistown, i will do my best to describe it.

You leave the pit on the right hand side of the track, into, what i think, is the best corner in ireland. Its a fairly flat out corner that when you get it right is just brilliant. Debtors in the 75, was about 97 - 98 mph.My old track cinq was about 105 mph. I had a spin in an elise 11r and was keeping it under 120. I used to race bikes there @ about 145mph, with knee down!! I really like that corner

Anyway, after debtors is a right left turn called colonial 1 & 2. There is then a very short straight to fishermans, which tightens up on itself. Another short straight, then on to the chicane.From there, its the back straight which is about half a mile long, and is very very fast. Hard on the brakes, then in to the right hand hairpin, before coming back on to the start finish straight and magical debtors again!!

The alfa was nice and composed. There was a good deal of body roll, and there was some understeer with the dodgy chinese tyres. The brakes held up ok (smoking rears after every session, until the pads wore out). The car was very very composed and balance however, and my plan is tod evelop it as a part time track car, i think its a very good base. There was lots of grip on the rear end with the good tyres. Add some more lightness, freshen up the suspension (im thinking of RSR front and rear ARBs and drop links) and the rear brakes, and i think it will make a very nice track car. Apart from the brakes, there were no problems at all.

I only managed 117 miles to a tank of petrol on track tho!! Works out about 12.4 mpg!!!!!!!

As the track day was organised by the lotus club, there were lots of loti there. I managed to get a spin in an s2 elise 111r. Thats the one with the 190 hp toyota vvti engine. It weighs about 800 kgs. Acceleration was good, handling was brilliant. So much grip, and feedback from the car. I really need to get one!!

All in all, a great day. no problems, no crashes, and home safe!!

now, im off to order some bits!!

Pictures to follow
Lenny
AO Silver Member

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

fair play lenny, sounds great. Get them pics up asap. How do you think a 1.3 33 would fair?
Damien_C

Wow sounds like great craic Lenny. I must get a spin in this infamous 75 lol. It's the only older alfa I haven't been in for a long time.

(Post Link) post #12 of 15 Old 11-04-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

pics at http://i630.photobucket.com/albums/u...20April%202010

i cant seem to add pictures to posts.
Damien_C

Mint great pics here

AO Member

Member car:

159 3.2

Beautifully turned out car Lenny, fair play. You can really see the roll in the corners though! Would love to get up there sometime, although would be ******* myself trying to take a corner at 100 (in my own car anyway, lol)...
AO Silver Member

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

what are the facilities like Lenny? Do you get a small garage with jacks if yu need to replace pads, discs or do a bit of repairs? Also how much did it cost you? what other facilities have they?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
kirkistown , tomorrow , track

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page