Alfa Romeo Centenary Celebrations - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 106 Old 22-02-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Kildare

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Alfa Romeo Centenary Celebrations

Alright all

In case anyone didn't know, it's Alfa Romeo's centenary this year and celebrations are planned for June 26/27 in Milan.

http://www.alfisti.com/images/AlfaRo...enaryArese.pdf

Would anyone be up for a trip to Milan?

I wouldn't be interested in driving all the way there-would cost too much and take too long.

I'd be more interested in flying to Milan and hiring an Alfa when we get out there.

Failing that, I think it would be a great idea to have our own celebrations here in Ireland.

I know we've only just got finished with one meet, but wouldn't it be an idea to tie the next one in with the 100th birthday?

We should go all out to get as many Alfa's there as possible-whether they are on AO or not-post everywhere-Boards, Octane, Driver, Facebook page, etc. Try and get Alfa Romeo Ireland interested and maybe some media exposure?

Anyway, don't want to steal Damien's thunder. I'll wait for him to say if there is anything planned before I say any more.

Cowboys Ted, they're a bunch of cowboys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

County: Cork
Garage
I think we should try & do something in Ireland alright I won't be heading for Italy & I'm sure many others won't be either

A record attempt for the most Alfa's over the Healy Pass in one day or at least the biggest meet so far in Ireland of Alfas sometime around the Centenary Date
Maybe we could cause a traffic jam in Kerry like they did for the Guinness Record attempt in Epsom
AO Member

I like the sound of this!!!!
AO Silver Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

Ciarán, I'm looking to drive down to Milan this year. I think it would a great trip driving through France and up throught the Alps. If there was interest we could go in two's and share the costs....
Regarding the next meet if anybody is interested on the Easter bank holiday Sunday/Monday I'd like to do a Wicklow Coastal drive then up into the hills or vice versa. I know Gav would be well up for that.
AO Member

I took my 164 down to Milan about ten years ago, wife two kids and a fold down Caravan and the Tunnel was closed due to a pileup so had to cross the Alps, second gear most of the way up and brakes on fire the way down the other side, great holiday, wife dosent agree (3300 miles)
AO Member

County: Roscommon

Member car:

Alfa 159 Ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikih View Post
I took my 164 down to Milan about ten years ago, wife two kids and a fold down Caravan and the Tunnel was closed due to a pileup so had to cross the Alps, second gear most of the way up and brakes on fire the way down the other side, great holiday, wife dosent agree (3300 miles)
WOW!! I was thinking of heading over to it but I didn't realise it was that far?
AO Gold Member

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Definitively up for doing something like this, Healy Pass would be great to do again, and as Ciaran said get the most amount of exposure possible. We should try and get classiccar.ie involved as well.
(Post Link) post #8 of 106 Old 22-02-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggmeistar
WOW!! I was thinking of heading over to it but I didn't realise it was that far?
Google maps says that the shortest route (from Athlone, centre of the country after all) is 1990km-this would probably be a boring enough route (takes in the Channel Tunnel, Strasbourg and car hating Switzerland...). Interestingly, travel time is 21 hours-would be a good challenge to see if you could do it in a day!

Presume kikh was talking about the round trip?
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCOVICH View Post

Failing that, I think it would be a great idea to have our own celebrations here in Ireland.

I know we've only just got finished with one meet, but wouldn't it be an idea to tie the next one in with the 100th birthday?

We should go all out to get as many Alfa's there as possible-whether they are on AO or not-post everywhere-Boards, Octane, Driver, Facebook page, etc. Try and get Alfa Romeo Ireland interested and maybe some media exposure?
I think it's a brilliant idea, especially exposing it to the wider audience (media etc.) I'm in. In a month or so 156 will be back on roads (wife needs it for work) so I'm coming with both this time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikih View Post
Just made Dublin-Paris-Besancon-Barcelona-Bordeaux-Dublin last summer with my 156 (around 2500 mls). For me- great trip, my wife- same as yours! ;-) Won't be doing that again soon though.
AO Member

Zero'd the trip before I left and 3300miles I pulled up at home, spent three weeks over there, done the lakes, Venice, my son then three was in a cast (broke his leg while sitting in my Kart in Watergrasshill, we were pushing it up to the pits and he put his leg down, ouch) my daughter one year old, fell and banged her face and spent three days in hospital (no one spoke english there, they took one look at us, son with broken leg, little girl wit a big cut on her forehead... and tought hmmmm)
AO Gold Member

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

The Welsh guys are doing something similar
https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/uk-na...-triangle.html
AO Silver Member

County: North Lanarkshire
I'm up for a drive to milan in my new GTV, should car pool to save cash and use temp cover or something for the other driver

Garage
I think all threads in the Irish Section need to have Ireland in the title
AO Silver Member

County: North Lanarkshire
Well, if we're gonna go to Milan, going via Ireland means we can miss out most of England

Garage
No comment :HALO:
AO Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

159 3.2

Was just looking at this over the weekend. And provisionally booked off 2 weeks holidays at work today
Thinking of driving down a week before, stay at Lake Garda for a week, down to Milan for 2-3 days, then leisurely drive back. I believe Goodwood is also on on the way back..

With the missus and 2 young kids, but love to hook up with anyone else in Milan for the main event
AO Silver Member

County: Longford
wow, driving to Milan in my 166!! now that would be something!! But alas money will be tight this year, so i doubt its a possibilty, but hey if there is a meet/drive to celebrate i'll certainly be along!

wonder if we could get Alfa Ireland involved in any way...na silly thought, they don't seem to actually like the brand!
AO Gold Member

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby2449 View Post
wow, driving to Milan in my 166!! now that would be something!! But alas money will be tight this year, so i doubt its a possibilty, but hey if there is a meet/drive to celebrate i'll certainly be along!

wonder if we could get Alfa Ireland involved in any way...na silly thought, they don't seem to actually like the brand!
I'd say they'd be interested alright, they may give us a Guilietta for the day, they did give us the MiTo last year after all.
(Post Link) post #19 of 106 Old 23-02-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

How did we get the MiTo the last time?

Garage
Someone from Alfa Ireland brought one down to Killarney last year to the meet.

Give us/get might be a bit of an exaggeration though
AO Gold Member

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

True it may be the only won they sell in the whole year, have to be careful with it!!
AO Silver Member

County: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by toby2449 View Post
I think there are a few people on here who want to go but can't afford it (or should I say, have their priorities right?). Car pooling might be a good idea. I'm saving for a trip to Italy/ Spain in September so I'm definitly out, car pooling or driving unless I win the lotto.
AO Silver Member

i dibbs driving the Giulietta to the meet!!!!

Garage
You are on their black list for all your AR Ireland bashing

I'll do the honours, I've already been talking to a dealer about the Giulietta
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David P View Post
You are on their black list for all your AR Ireland bashing

I'll do the honours, I've already been talking to a dealer about the Giulietta
me, bashing AR Ireland??? Never!!!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
alfa , celebrations , centenary , romeo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page