Thinking of a 155 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 160 Old 18-01-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Kildare

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Thinking of a 155

So, are both of these too good to be true?

Alfa Romeo : Alfa 155 V6 96000 miles £300 ono

Alfa Romeo 155 2.5 V6 - €750 - Used Cars on Carzone.ie - New & Used Cars in Ireland

The main concern with the Pistonheads car is getting it back to Ireland-I'm not sure whether it would be fit for the trip? The one in Cork looks like it might be in rag order (bonnet looks out of place on the RHS as you face the car, and the exhaust looks like it's in a weird position).

If I'm buying another Alfa, I want a V6, and like the look of the 155 (I could do with a saloon as well). This car wouldn't be a daily driver at all-if I did 5000 miles a year I would be surprised.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to do any mechanical work myself, but due to the fact that I don't know how, nor do I have the space/facilities, maybe someone like Dave or Pat would be able to take on such a project?

Am I being unrealistic thinking I can get away with spending 1000 or less at the outset to get a V6 155 that drives? I would then get whatever work needs doing as I go along.

Cowboys Ted, they're a bunch of cowboys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Wicklow
here is what I would do:
- either get a local 155 owner to check out the car, or ask the seller to take it to an indie
- or travel over with a 155 expert from the forum, and make a decision on the spot
check how much the vrt would be. then expect to be screwed over yearly for the tax...

on second thought: buy it! and then let me drive a bit
Mario Andretti

The one for 300 pound looks fairly good and should drive home handy enough but there is no bother looking after it as the belts would be the only issue as they recommend every 4 years and 45000 miles

mo4
AO Member

County: -
The UK one is a good car cept for needing exhaust flexible couplings. It's been parked since July, but was maintained up to then with belts done.
It's also got a BTCC style splitter on the front.

VRT is about 800 bills iirc.
(Post Link) post #5 of 160 Old 18-01-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Yeah, 36% VRT on the V6 as 'emissions not established' That would bring the cost of the UK car to over €1000 for just the car + VRT. Travel expenses etc. would add another €200-€300, so the one in Cork might be a better bet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredx19
The one for 300 pound looks fairly good and should drive home handy enough but there is no bother looking after it as the belts would be the only issue as they recommend every 4 years and 45000 miles
Would you be interested in taking on a 155 that might need a bit of work Dave? Does this sound like much work?

flexible couplings failed on the downpipe that joins the manifolds to the CAT and is it a sign of anything serious? It doesn't sound like it to me.

The only other car I would be considering at the moment would be a 75, but these actually seem to trade at a premium to the 155.

Another thing I am wondering about is insurance-what is the best way to cover a car that would be rarely driven?
Damien_C

The one in cork is muck but I can look at it if you like? I will need a clutch and I can imagine it being rough but I can as I said have a look at it if you like at the weekend have free travel and all that.

(Post Link) post #7 of 160 Old 18-01-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

If you don't mind Damien (if you're passing)-just to get a take on the exterior anyway-doesn't look great from the ads.
Damien_C

I'll pop in during the weekend and pull the yoke apart for ya see if it's any good. And give ya a ring.

AO Gold Member

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Just ran it into the VRT calculator. You have to laugh at their open market price!!

The annual tax is a bit of a killer though...

DATE: 18 January 2010 TIME: 23:41

STATISTICAL CODE: 40285002
MAKE: ALFA ROMEO
MODEL: 155
VERSION: 2.5I V6 04DR / SALOON / MANUAL / PETROL ONLY /
CO2 EMISSIONS: Not established - highest VRT rate applied
MILEAGE: 96000 MILES
DATE OF FIRST REGISTRATION: JANUARY 1995

OPEN MARKET SELLING PRICE: 2000
RATE OF TAX: 36%
VEHICLE REGISTRATION TAX:
(payable on enquiry date) 720

I agree the one in Cork looks like a bit of a pig as well...
mo4
AO Member

The one in Cork may not be that bad, needs to be looked at by someone who knows their 155s.
The bonnet not closed on one side is a quick and easy fix, the exhaust on at an angle is not ideal but probably harmless.
Also it IS red, which is a bonus with the 130 coloured cars.
The main concern is doing the clutch, not an easy job on the 155 in my experience and I've only done the 1.8 and 2.0L clutches. Cant imagine that the V6 is easier and I'd imagine the subframe woudl need to be loosened off.

I've thought about bringing one in from the UK too but the total cost of getting it here and VRT etc just doesn't make it viable imo.
On the other hand the V6s dont come up for sale much over here......
(Post Link) post #11 of 160 Old 19-01-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

I'm sure the bonnet and exhaust could well be easy fixes, but I would be concerned as to what caused them to be off kilter...

What would a clutch run to fit on a 155? I can see a TS clutch for a 155 on Alfaworkshop for 141, but I guess a V6 clutch could well cost more?

Red would pretty much have to be the colour I reckon.

Annual tax on a V6 is a bit of a killer alright (but only 8 years to so until it is a classic.....). If you were bringing one from the UK that needed work, you could fight their OMSP valuation.
AO Silver Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

Ok first off I know Mo4 and he knows his 155s bigtime so take his advice. However being a 155 owner also I would go for the UK one. Somebody mentioned getting her over here and VRT and all the rest but you might endup paying the same fixing up the Cork one. I have spent a lot of money getting mine fixed up, they can bite you financally where it really hurts if you are not careful. If the only immediate issue is the couplings I'd be on the next Ferry. It looks very clean all around. And generally cars on Pistonheads are looked after by enthusiasts. I regularly see lads on the 155 forum posting 155s for sale from Pistonheads.
Furthermore there is two types of 155, the skinny body 1993-1995 and the wide body 1995-1997. The 93 is the skinny body version whose handling is not near as good as the wide body models. Thats actually why they changed the body. I'd be concerned about all that weight sloshing around the front.
They are both red which means they may soon be Alfa Pink and I'd wager the 93 will turn first. Any questions in general just pm me

Whichever one you do get fit a ragazzon if you dont like the sound
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBYqaiNiFnQ

Dont bend the rules, Rule the bends

Last edited by Alfa155 TS; 22-01-10 at 22:24.
(Post Link) post #13 of 160 Old 22-01-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Thanks-I'd certainly prefer a widebody.

The thing about the UK one is that it has been for sale for ages on 155.co.uk and reading through the many pages in the thread suggests that there may be more wrong that just a few couplings.

I'm in no real hurry to be honest-but what I'm looking for might be hard enough to find.

I'd appreciate if anyone sees red V6s advertised that they post here (only if you're not interested yourself of course!).
Damien_C

I must have a look at that for you next weekend man.

mo4
AO Member

Hey CCOVICH,
Check this out

Alfa Romeo 155 2.0 16v Wide Body for sale in Dublin: €1,555 - DoneDeal.ie

I can vouch for this car because I am the previous owner the seller refers to.
As well as the work he lists the car also had 2 wishbones, and all the seals associated with the timing belt job were replaced, variator cam seal, cam cover gasket and also water pump.
I also fitted a new balance belt and tensioner.

The only problem the car had when I sold it was a heavy clutch , which the curent seller has done.
The body really is in excellent condition, the owner before me was an Alfa nut too and had replaced the front shocks and had it regularily serviced. Also had new exhaust from cat back, 4 new tyres and a battery.

btw I've nothing to gain by posting this, I only met the guy once - the day he bought it.
Glad to see he looked after it, and thought I'd point you towards it.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo4 View Post
Hey CCOVICH,
Check this out

As well as the work he lists the car also had 2 wishbones, and all the seals associated with the timing belt job were replaced, variator cam seal, cam cover gasket and also water pump.

The only problem the car had when I sold it was a heavy clutch , which the curent seller has done.
The body really is in excellent condition, the owner before me was an Alfa nut too and had replaced the front shocks and had it regularily serviced. Also had new exhaust from cat back, 4 new tyres and a battery.

btw I've nothing to gain by posting this, I only met the guy once - the day he bought it.
Looks very neat indeed, green, but neat
AO Silver Member

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

Hi Morgan is this the one you bought from Bray? If so I can vouch for it too as I went up to look at her before you and she was excellent, possibly the best I've driven, he is asking a bit much though!

CCOVICH does it have to be a v6? you could go for this also
Alfa Romeo 155 2.0 Petrol (1995) for sale in Dublin - Used car on Cars Ireland .ie
Its actually parked up in a house in Tallaght as I often see it.
mo4
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa155 TS View Post
..... possibly the best I've driven, he is asking a bit much though!
That's the asking price of course...
If you brought a car to a garage to get all the work done it would come to alot more than he is asking though. Think about it, clutch, timing belt, shocks and suspension, plugs and then exhaust and 4 tyres.

If I had the space I'd buy it back in a flash!
AO Silver Member

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

true, actually mine wasnt far off that price so its actually fair I suppose
AO Gold Member

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

I dont really think the teledials suit the the 155, what do you think? Appart from that it looks very nice.
(Post Link) post #21 of 160 Old 25-01-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo4 View Post
Hey CCOVICH,
Check this out

Thanks-it's great that you know so much about the car.

The tempremental speedo and the brake regulator-what could cause the first and how much to fix the second problem?
(Post Link) post #22 of 160 Old 25-01-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa155 TS View Post
Hi Morgan is this the one you bought from Bray? If so I can vouch for it too as I went up to look at her before you and she was excellent, possibly the best I've driven, he is asking a bit much though!

CCOVICH does it have to be a v6? you could go for this also
Alfa Romeo 155 2.0 Petrol (1995) for sale in Dublin - Used car on Cars Ireland .ie
Its actually parked up in a house in Tallaght as I often see it.
I wouldn't be too keen on that colour. I'd prefer the teledials to the standard 155 wheels if I'm honest, but would like a set like you have on your 155.

I would agree that 1,550 might be a bit much for the green 155-I guess he is looking to recoup what he has spent. For that kind of money, I'd nearly look at a 156.

Can anyone give me a comparision of the 2.0 v the 2.5V6-is there much difference? I really should go and drive both before making any firm decisions.
mo4
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCOVICH View Post
Thanks-it's great that you know so much about the car.

The tempremental speedo and the brake regulator-what could cause the first and how much to fix the second problem?
Intermittant speedo is a standard option on the 155s
Usually happens in the winter, especially if the car is not used daily. It will probably sort itself out in true Italian style.

Rear brake compensator probably needs to be taken off and cleaned and oiled. Maybe it's broken but usually they're fixable. Exhaust has to be lowered to gain access.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCOVICH View Post
I would agree that 1,550 might be a bit much for the green 155-I guess he is looking to recoup what he has spent. For that kind of money, I'd nearly look at a 156.
You cant compare a 155 to a 156 from a driving point of view - there's no comparison imo. The 155 is raw and raspy with huge steering feedback. The 156 is a tamed and quietened family car in comparison.

WRt the 2.0 Vs the 2.5, its a personal thing I suppose. Best thing to do is go out a give one a drive and see how you feel.
V6 sounds good but is a bit lazier in the handling department.
AO Member

Member car:

GT Monza 1.9JTDm

from what I've read about the 155, you are better off getting the later ones..I think post 95
(Post Link) post #25 of 160 Old 26-01-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Looks like the one in the UK is gone (now showing as sold on Pistonheads). Have also seen a 164 on PH which also looks interesting. I was extremely taken with a 2.5V6 Sportronic 166 on Donedeal today-looked amazing, but I reckon I would be better waiting until I can afford to buy a F/L 166 before I get one of those.

So it's still a 155 I'd say. I might just go and take a look at that green one (I see it on Pistonheads now).

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
155 , thinking

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page