Where's best to get Alfa replacement alloy(s)? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 18 Old 28-12-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

159 3.2

Where's best to get Alfa replacement alloy(s)?

Had a slide on black ice just before xmas (I've tried to forget it happened until now to try and enjoy xmas...), fairly slow speed but unfortunately hit a high kerb at obviously the worst possible angle, because it broke off a 6 inch piece of the alloy rim clean off

Anyone know where best to pick up replacements - is it a case of going to your local friendly Alfa dealer or are there any better internet options? It's an 18' 7 hole. Open to second hand options too - basically all the alloys are fairly scratched up from some offroading, so I'd say a sparkling new one with 3 old ones will look odd. Should I just take it somewhere and get the whole lot refurbed at the same time? On top of it all, I'd say I'm going to need a new tyre as well. A brand new Vred on it and all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

County: Cork
Garage
Sorry to hear that Tim
Still I suppose it could have been a lot worse. Definitely worth also replacing the tyre as even if it looks OK the structure could now be damaged, not worth the risk of a blowout. Also worth getting the tracking checked in case it's out, no point risking excess wear on more tyres.

I doubt you'll get one alloy from a dealer here for less than €500, no harm in giving them a call though so you know.

This site has a set of 4 for 740, it might be worth asking them if they'd sell you one.
18inch 7 hole horeshoe style for Alfa Romeo 159 parts and spares

Or maybe have a look here to see if you can find anyone else who sells them https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/tunin...ine-shops.html

Make sure you get originals though & not replicas ( especially if looking on ebay )

Also no harm in placing a wanted addvert in the Classified Section or the 159 Tech Lounge, you might get lucky.
AO Member

County: Louth

Member car:

Alfa GT 1.8TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim159 View Post
Had a slide on black ice just before xmas (I've tried to forget it happened until now to try and enjoy xmas...), fairly slow speed but unfortunately hit a high kerb at obviously the worst possible angle, because it broke off a 6 inch piece of the alloy rim clean off

Anyone know where best to pick up replacements - is it a case of going to your local friendly Alfa dealer or are there any better internet options? It's an 18' 7 hole. Open to second hand options too - basically all the alloys are fairly scratched up from some offroading, so I'd say a sparkling new one with 3 old ones will look odd. Should I just take it somewhere and get the whole lot refurbed at the same time? On top of it all, I'd say I'm going to need a new tyre as well. A brand new Vred on it and all
Got one of mine repaired here BC Alloys, Repair and Refurbishment, Ireland

Lots of these types of places will bring them back to 'like new'.....the scuffed ones you have anyway.

Is welding/remachining defo not an option on the the ripped/cracked one?
AO Gold Member

County: Kildare

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by David P View Post
Sorry to hear that Tim
Still I suppose it could have been a lot worse. Definitely worth also replacing the tyre as even if it looks OK the structure could now be damaged, not worth the risk of a blowout. Also worth getting the tracking checked in case it's out, no point risking excess wear on more tyres.

I doubt you'll get one alloy from a dealer here for less than 500, no harm in giving them a call though so you know.

This site has a set of 4 for 740, it might be worth asking them if they'd sell you one.
18inch 7 hole horeshoe style for Alfa Romeo 159 parts and spares

Or maybe have a look here to see if you can find anyone else who sells them https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/tunin...ine-shops.html

Make sure you get originals though & not replicas ( especially if looking on ebay )

Also no harm in placing a wanted addvert in the Classified Section or the 159 Tech Lounge, you might get lucky.
There are plenty on the Italian ebay, a few people on here have got them and been pleased Italian EBay it might be a good opertunity to get a nice set of Breara S style wheels http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Cerchi-in-lega...item5885337c1b

Might be handy having two sets for all your track day off roading

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTV Gav View Post
They are 147/156/GT fitment so won't fit the 159 ( different PCD ). Also IIRC the official Brera S alloys are now available from a few UK dealers as they can't sell the 500 limited edition cars.
(Post Link) post #6 of 18 Old 29-12-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

159 3.2

Thanks lads - good to have some baseline prices to hand when talking to the garages. Will let you know how I get on...
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Tim-they's only 17s, but the price seems reasonable.

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/class...t=1289&cat=107

Maybe not worthy of a Ti.......

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCOVICH View Post

Tim's 159 isn't a ti

Also there could be clearance issues going down to 17" on the 3.2 ( It has the bigger 330mm discs & callipers ) Remember the 147/156 GTA needed specific 17" alloys to clear the callipers.
(Post Link) post #9 of 18 Old 06-01-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

159 3.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCOVICH View Post

Thanks for the link - I had actually forgetten to look at AO classifieds - there are also some 18s there, although quite a bit more expensive. They're still less than ONE replacement through Irish official dealers tho... No harm having some spares for fun and games on tracks days...
(Post Link) post #10 of 18 Old 06-01-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

159 3.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by David P View Post
Tim's 159 isn't a ti

Also there could be clearance issues going down to 17" on the 3.2 ( It has the bigger 330mm discs & callipers ) Remember the 147/156 GTA needed specific 17" alloys to clear the callipers.
Was keen to keep with the 18s anyway, but didn't know that 17s might not fit with the brakes - I've had a few offers for 17s. Cheers for the info David.

Garage
Quote:
Was keen to keep with the 18s anyway, but didn't know that 17s might not fit with the brakes - I've had a few offers for 17s. Cheers for the info David.
I didn't think you'd be interested in downgrading, I know I wouldn't
I'm not certain on the clearance thing Tim, just something you should check out if you were tempted to go for 17"s. I saw you were also offered a set of 16"s

I also noticed there are currently a few sets the same as yours being offered in the 159 Tech Lounge at the moment, all in the UK though.
(Post Link) post #12 of 18 Old 30-01-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

159 3.2

Woo hoo. As of yesterday, the proud owner of 4 excellent condition second hand alloys, together with p zeros from a UK AO member. About €750 with all exchange, bank fees and postage. Or about €100 more than dealer cost of 1 brand new wheel with no tyre... There's some very minor scratches and peeling, but really in very good condition. My other tyres are vreds, so I've bought a new one of those to keep all matched. All I need now is to find one more wheel and I'll have a full spare set for Mondello On down side, the garage has quoted about a grand to fix wishbone/fork etc which apparently got damaged. So annoying as the knock couldn't have been more than 10mph. Anyway, you live and learn. I need to work out the pros and cons of whether to claim off insurance - looking likely at this stage I think.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Quote:
Woo hoo. As of yesterday, the proud owner of 4 excellent condition second hand alloys, together with p zeros from a UK AO member. About 750 with all exchange, bank fees and postage. Or about 100 more than dealer cost of 1 brand new wheel with no tyre... There's some very minor scratches and peeling, but really in very good condition. My other tyres are vreds, so I've bought a new one of those to keep all matched. All I need now is to find one more wheel and I'll have a full spare set for Mondello On down side, the garage has quoted about a grand to fix wishbone/fork etc which apparently got damaged. So annoying as the knock couldn't have been more than 10mph. Anyway, you live and learn. I need to work out the pros and cons of whether to claim off insurance - looking likely at this stage I think.
What wheels did you get in the end Tim?

Also did you get a second opinion on the repairs?

Regarding the insurance, my girlfriend works in insurance I can ask her for the best course of action if you like. What was the circumstances of the crash, what insurance company are you with?
Damien_C

Quote:
Woo hoo. As of yesterday, the proud owner of 4 excellent condition second hand alloys, together with p zeros from a UK AO member. About 750 with all exchange, bank fees and postage. Or about 100 more than dealer cost of 1 brand new wheel with no tyre... There's some very minor scratches and peeling, but really in very good condition. My other tyres are vreds, so I've bought a new one of those to keep all matched. All I need now is to find one more wheel and I'll have a full spare set for Mondello On down side, the garage has quoted about a grand to fix wishbone/fork etc which apparently got damaged. So annoying as the knock couldn't have been more than 10mph. Anyway, you live and learn. I need to work out the pros and cons of whether to claim off insurance - looking likely at this stage I think.
Honestly you can write a car off by hitting a kerb even at 10mph ive seen it happen you can bend a chassis leg lol.

(Post Link) post #15 of 18 Old 30-01-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

159 3.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTV Gav View Post
What wheels did you get in the end Tim?

Also did you get a second opinion on the repairs?

Regarding the insurance, my girlfriend works in insurance I can ask her for the best course of action if you like. What was the circumstances of the crash, what insurance company are you with?
Thanks Gav, that would be helpful. I currently pay 670 with AIG via 25plus.ie and have 5 years NCB and a 150 excess. It looks like tyres are only excluded if punctured rather than involved in an accident. The whole claim is probably going to now come close to 2000 (garage parts/repairs, new wheel, new tyre). I was thinking next year's premium would double to 1340 if all NCB lost, but from looking at an AIG branded pol doc on the net, it looks like it might only step back from 50% to 30% (doesn't say in my 25.ie pol doc). I actually think in either case it's going to be better to claim. It was only going to be marginal if the lot came to < 1k.
(Post Link) post #16 of 18 Old 30-01-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

159 3.2

The alloys are same as current ones - 18' 7 hole horseshoe.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Quote:
Thanks Gav, that would be helpful. I currently pay 670 with AIG via 25plus.ie and have 5 years NCB and a 150 excess. It looks like tyres are only excluded if punctured rather than involved in an accident. The whole claim is probably going to now come close to 2000 (garage parts/repairs, new wheel, new tyre). I was thinking next year's premium would double to 1340 if all NCB lost, but from looking at an AIG branded pol doc on the net, it looks like it might only step back from 50% to 30% (doesn't say in my 25.ie pol doc). I actually think in either case it's going to be better to claim. It was only going to be marginal if the lot came to < 1k.
Hi Tim, sorry, only seeing this now. I'll ask herself whats the best thing to do.
AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

Well Tim if what you say is correct its a no brainer really . 1350 - 670 ? its alot cheaper than paying 2k out of your pocket imo. Even if it goes the same way the year after it still means that you have spread the cost over 2 - 3 year's its still alot cheaper than forking out 2k from your pocket . We pay insurance for that very reason.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
alfa , alloys , replacement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page