have agree to buy a 166! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

Reply
 
Thread Tools
(Post Link) post #1 of 30 Old 13-12-09 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
toby2449's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ireland
County: Longford
Posts: 1,490
have agree to buy a 166!

well guys i've done the deed, i've finally chosen between a 156 & 166, & the sheer charm & exclusivity of the 166 won out!

quick question though, the timing belt was done about 30k miles ago, so to be on the safe side i reckon it'd be better to get the job done again.

Question is, being in Longford we have no Alfa dealerships near us! the company i work for use a garage for all their repairs, can i use an "ordinary" garage, or would i have to use an Alfa dealer, & what sort of cost are we talking about??

146, 147, 156, 164, 166, GTV - This is becoming a bit obsessive!
toby2449 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Damien_C
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
I would get someone who knows alfa's to do the belt and make sure they have the locking tools that's all really they need for the belt the rest isn't that hard. Great cars the 166 very under rated and some comfy bus to go round in.
 
Status: D'ya know how much rage I have in me!?
AO Silver Member
 
Mysterio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ireland
County: Dublin
Posts: 4,623

Member car:

Brera 2.0 JTDm

Many garages don't even touch alfa's and if some of them do, then something is going to be bad

p.s: you should bring the 166 to one of the meets.
Mysterio is offline  
Mario Andretti
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Toby drop me a pm if you need advice on the 166 as I look after a good few of them and they are one lovely cruier of a car...
 
(Post Link) post #5 of 30 Old 13-12-09 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
toby2449's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ireland
County: Longford
Posts: 1,490
thanks guys, i'll defo bring her along to a meet, i can't wait!!!!
toby2449 is offline  
Damien_C
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Good man come along to Kildare it will be great craic. And it's cheap to stay too
 
K9d
Status: Had enough :(
AO Silver Member
 
K9d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: United Kingdom
County: Wiltshire
Posts: 5,250
What engine is it, if it's a twinny belts are worth doing at 30k for peace of mind but a V6 is 60k or 4 years.
K9d is offline  
chris983
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Yeah heard the 166 is lovely to drive so enjoy
 
Status: Giggity Giggity...... Giggitygoo
AO Silver Member
 
Alfa155 TS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Ireland
County: Dublin
Posts: 3,230

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredx19 View Post
Toby drop me a pm if you need advice on the 166 as I look after a good few of them and they are one lovely cruier of a car...
Good man Toby you wont regret a 166, theredx19 aka Dave is an Alfa mechanic and owns one himself so I'd seriously consider getting him to do it for you. He works in Tullamore so isnt to far from you so maybe you could arrange to meet up. Send him a PM. You will not pay as much as you would through a normal garage either.
Alfa155 TS is offline  
Status: Smells of Eue De Autoglym
AO Gold Member
 
GTV Gav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ireland
County: Kildare
Posts: 6,738

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby2449 View Post
well guys i've done the deed, i've finally chosen between a 156 & 166, & the sheer charm & exclusivity of the 166 won out!

quick question though, the timing belt was done about 30k miles ago, so to be on the safe side i reckon it'd be better to get the job done again.

Question is, being in Longford we have no Alfa dealerships near us! the company i work for use a garage for all their repairs, can i use an "ordinary" garage, or would i have to use an Alfa dealer, & what sort of cost are we talking about??
Any pics?
GTV Gav is offline  
(Post Link) post #11 of 30 Old 13-12-09 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
toby2449's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ireland
County: Longford
Posts: 1,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by K9d View Post
What engine is it, if it's a twinny belts are worth doing at 30k for peace of mind but a V6 is 60k or 4 years.
its a 2ltr twinny, obviously money no object it might have been a V6, but sadly it was not to be. But i have to say from my short blast in the 2lt, she's got mpre than enough power for me, plus my insurance company aren't going to hammer me!
toby2449 is offline  
(Post Link) post #12 of 30 Old 13-12-09 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
toby2449's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ireland
County: Longford
Posts: 1,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTV Gav View Post
Any pics?
not yet, but will get loads when she passes the NCT & is mine!!
toby2449 is offline  
Status: Smells of Eue De Autoglym
AO Gold Member
 
GTV Gav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ireland
County: Kildare
Posts: 6,738

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby2449 View Post
not yet, but will get loads when she passes the NCT & is mine!!
Nice one, congratulations, welcome to Alfa ownership, are you planning to be at the meet?

What are the details, colour, spec etc?
GTV Gav is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Aryan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: East Riding of Yorkshire
Posts: 313

Member car:

166 ts 2004

Hi great, I am happy you listened to my advice Good choice 166 2ts, Hope it will be a good trouble free car for you
Aryan is offline  
Status: I have no status...
AO Silver Member
 
Hazeyblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Merseyside
Posts: 1,107

Member car:

159

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby2449 View Post
well guys i've done the deed, i've finally chosen between a 156 & 166, & the sheer charm & exclusivity of the 166 won out!
Excellent choice...
Hazeyblue is offline  
(Post Link) post #16 of 30 Old 14-12-09 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
toby2449's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ireland
County: Longford
Posts: 1,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTV Gav View Post
Nice one, congratulations, welcome to Alfa ownership, are you planning to be at the meet?

What are the details, colour, spec etc?
ah this won't be my first, i've owned 146, 164 & 147, & i honeslty regretted selling them all!!

she's a 2000 red 166 with about 75k on the clock. Looks loaded with spec, has grey leather interior,boot mounted cd changer, all round elec windows, elec sunroof, quite literally looks showroom fresh (ok there are a few tiny things here & there - but nothing i'd worry about)

i am so looking foward to driving her home!!
toby2449 is offline  
Status: Smells of Eue De Autoglym
AO Gold Member
 
GTV Gav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ireland
County: Kildare
Posts: 6,738

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby2449 View Post
ah this won't be my first, i've owned 146, 164 & 147, & i honeslty regretted selling them all!!

she's a 2000 red 166 with about 75k on the clock. Looks loaded with spec, has grey leather interior,boot mounted cd changer, all round elec windows, elec sunroof, quite literally looks showroom fresh (ok there are a few tiny things here & there - but nothing i'd worry about)

i am so looking foward to driving her home!!
Nice one, fully loaded then!
GTV Gav is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Tee-O's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Naas, Ireland
Posts: 890

Member car:

GT Monza 1.9JTDm

excellent car toby...pics please?
Tee-O is offline  
Status: Smells of Eue De Autoglym
AO Gold Member
 
GTV Gav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ireland
County: Kildare
Posts: 6,738

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee-O View Post
excellent car toby...pics please?
Can we tempt you back to the Alfa fold with this cheeky fella Tom?
GTV Gav is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Tee-O's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Naas, Ireland
Posts: 890

Member car:

GT Monza 1.9JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTV Gav View Post
Can we tempt you back to the Alfa fold with this cheeky fella Tom?
Gav, you're not helping here....

Bit of an odd colour for an Alfa but that green was all the rage back in the mid 90's

I have to enquire about insurance first before getting the 2nd car. A lad I know just got a 2nd car and mirrored his NCB so it may be the way to go.

No mention of leather on that one though...would have to have it
Tee-O is offline  
Status: Formerly 166, GT, 147,155,33
AO Silver Member
 
CCOVICH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ireland
County: Kildare
Posts: 2,429

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

I'd love a second car as well, insurance would be one issue, but the biggest (for me) would be tax.

Whatever I get woud be older and probably 2000cc + and so the road tax would be around the same (€630 or so) as I pay in the GT, which is more than enough for my liking.
CCOVICH is offline  
Status: Smells of Eue De Autoglym
AO Gold Member
 
GTV Gav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ireland
County: Kildare
Posts: 6,738

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee-O View Post
Gav, you're not helping here....

Bit of an odd colour for an Alfa but that green was all the rage back in the mid 90's

I have to enquire about insurance first before getting the 2nd car. A lad I know just got a 2nd car and mirrored his NCB so it may be the way to go.

No mention of leather on that one though...would have to have it
Your right, leather is a must, and there is a destict lack of photo's in that add.
GTV Gav is offline  
Status: Giggity Giggity...... Giggitygoo
AO Silver Member
 
Alfa155 TS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Ireland
County: Dublin
Posts: 3,230

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

Be careful of older 2nd cars lads, was reading in the times motoring supplement this week that from next year they want cars older than 10 years to do the nct every year and not once every two. And they are adding more items to be tested. Tried to find a link to their website but couldnt. The more I hear about carbon tax, car tax etc etc we wont be able to drive if this keeps up. Carbon tax my [email protected]&e. That whole warming thing is a joke.
Alfa155 TS is offline  
Status: Smells of Eue De Autoglym
AO Gold Member
 
GTV Gav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ireland
County: Kildare
Posts: 6,738

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa155 TS View Post
Be careful of older 2nd cars lads, was reading in the times motoring supplement this week that from next year they want cars older than 10 years to do the nct every year and not once every two. And they are adding more items to be tested. Tried to find a link to their website but couldnt. The more I hear about carbon tax, car tax etc etc we wont be able to drive if this keeps up. Carbon tax my [email protected]&e. That whole warming thing is a joke.
Thats why I want to get a classic, or wait until mine qualifies as a classic
GTV Gav is offline  
(Post Link) post #25 of 30 Old 19-12-09 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
toby2449's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ireland
County: Longford
Posts: 1,490
hey, good news the 166 passede its NCT first time around, & fingers crossed i plan to go to Dublin on Xmas eve & pick her up!
toby2449 is offline  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
166 , agree , buy

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Who's got the highest Mileage 166 on the forum? Stephen Manjai Alfa 164 & 166 575 22-05-15 19:11

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome