Selespeed power loss / Worn clutch - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 25 Old 08-12-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Galway
Selespeed power loss / Worn clutch

Hello there,

I'm based in Galway and own a 156 selespeed year 2000.
The car has 155 hp as standard but i have a sport air filter, replaced the cat with a straight pipe and i have also fitted a twin round sport back box (looks like the gta one above) so i want to believe that i should be around the 165 - 170 hp mark.

The car has covered 93.5k miles and I'm feeling that the clutch slips a lot as I don't see that power in the wheels. I have also replaced the lambda sensor, thermostat, maf (bosch original 210euro) and coolant temp. sensor.

I have bought a clutch kit including the release bearing but when i asked the local dealer how much it's going to cost to replace it I was shocked, they said it's going to take 9 hours by 70 - 80 euro per hour. I have the clutch rusting in my garage for 1,5 years as I can't think of giving 650 euro for a clutch change.

Does anybody knows a good garage with universal computer that can depresurrise the system change the clutch and presurrise it again for a more reasonable price than the local dealer?

Thanks & Rgds

George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

Member car:

156 GTA & 155ish

George,
Alfadiag may but as I don't have a sele I have never looked into it. The software and cable costs €70ish which is probably cheaper than a dealer and you have the long term benefit. You are welcome to use mine but living in Cork might make that a long drive...If Alfadiag does work then any competent should do. Stay away from main dealers thou.
Rory
(Post Link) post #3 of 25 Old 09-12-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Hello Rory,

Thanks for your comments.

I purchased the software and cable around 3 years ago, I'm running the EOL and the other routine every month or so with the engine warm as then it's better I have read. There is some smoother gearchange for a few days but then it turns back to normal. The problem is that I don't know what else to change, mechanics don't know either as there are no faults logged and they are simply not interested in performance.

I have explained to a few of them while they were doing some work on the car that the car is running very bad, so they run the diagnostic check and nothing comes up, so they say everything is fine. It can't be a car with such power to drive so bad. Even if it had the standard 155 hp it would drive over some Avensis, Passat and Golf but it doesn't.

In regards to the clutch issue, I'm thinking that I have no other option than to save 600 - 700 euro and take it to the local dealer as a local independent garage I took it recently with 3 different universal computer readers said that they have no option to depressurize and calibrate the selespeed actuator after fitting the new clutch and of course they laughed when I said that I can borrow them with the laptop i have the software in order to do the job.

Is the local Alfa dealer in Cork a good one? The one in Galway (Monaghans & Sons) is the main dealer for Alfa, Fiat, Honda, Skoda, Hyundai and Kia so the mechanics cannot specialize in one brand, they know a litle bit of each make...
(Post Link) post #4 of 25 Old 09-12-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Mario Andretti

Do not run an EOL unless work has been done as it will damage the inside of the gearbox casing but if you cant get the depressure done PM me as I have the examiner at home which can do this...

kmacb

Fiat modified these clutches some time ago, its important to be sure you have the correct part. The modification was due to a mistake in the ePer part numbers, in some cases an 'earlier' clutch was listed, the clutch had a different pressure rating causing the ECU to open or close the clutch too early or too late, similar to not pressing the pedal far enough on a normal car. This will not allow the gears to engage properly.
If you've had the clutch for a few years it's possible you have the wrong one.
I'm assuming you bought the clutch from a main dealer....

AO Member

Member car:

156 GTA & 155ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwheels View Post
Hello Rory,

Thanks for your comments.

I purchased the software and cable around 3 years ago, I'm running the EOL and the other routine every month or so with the engine warm as then it's better I have read. There is some smoother gearchange for a few days but then it turns back to normal. The problem is that I don't know what else to change, mechanics don't know either as there are no faults logged and they are simply not interested in performance.

I have explained to a few of them while they were doing some work on the car that the car is running very bad, so they run the diagnostic check and nothing comes up, so they say everything is fine. It can't be a car with such power to drive so bad. Even if it had the standard 155 hp it would drive over some Avensis, Passat and Golf but it doesn't.

In regards to the clutch issue, I'm thinking that I have no other option than to save 600 - 700 euro and take it to the local dealer as a local independent garage I took it recently with 3 different universal computer readers said that they have no option to depressurize and calibrate the selespeed actuator after fitting the new clutch and of course they laughed when I said that I can borrow them with the laptop i have the software in order to do the job.

Is the local Alfa dealer in Cork a good one? The one in Galway (Monaghans & Sons) is the main dealer for Alfa, Fiat, Honda, Skoda, Hyundai and Kia so the mechanics cannot specialize in one brand, they know a litle bit of each make...
Hi,
I use an independent who is very good but also is willing to say no when he thinks the jobs is too big. I recently brought the car over to the UK to get the timing belt and other work done and while there discovered the Q2 had been fitted incorrectly bit a main Alfa dealer here in Ireland. The economics of bring a car to the UK and the complexity of the selespeed may not add up thou. Not sure what I would do.

Rory
AO Silver Member

County: Wicklow
why don't you ask the fellow forum member who happens to be an alfa mechanic (and a great chap) to have a look at the car first? especially after he offered his help?
AO Silver Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

Brera 2.0 JTDm

hotwheels, I suggest you leave your car in the hands of Dave (theredx), and I'm not the only one who does this.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

Indeed, he just fitted a new thermostat today to my 155 and now the cabin is nice and warm. Which helps given its winter. The main feeder pipe was well on its way to disintegrating, there was a big chunk gone off it as it was.
Dave has been in the business long enough now and knows his way around all Italian cars, I'd strongly recommend you give him a shout hotwheels, at least get his advice.
Mario Andretti

Glad you were toasty on the way home so how is the head now...

Damien_C

Jaysu Rory where did ya get that done? And you should come to a meet sometime.

AO Silver Member

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

Head si alright now Dave thank God, one word of advice, do not I repeat do not drink a bottle of wine and a few Tiger beers BEFORE eating your chinese meal
(Post Link) post #14 of 25 Old 13-12-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacb View Post
Fiat modified these clutches some time ago, its important to be sure you have the correct part. The modification was due to a mistake in the ePer part numbers, in some cases an 'earlier' clutch was listed, the clutch had a different pressure rating causing the ECU to open or close the clutch too early or too late, similar to not pressing the pedal far enough on a normal car. This will not allow the gears to engage properly.
If you've had the clutch for a few years it's possible you have the wrong one.
I'm assuming you bought the clutch from a main dealer....
Hello,

i still haven't changed the original clutch, i believe it's in there together with the plastic bearing since the car lef the factory. I bought it from a guy in Cork 2nd hand 4 years ago. The car is 10 year old now and even though they say that the selespeed won't worn the clutch as it always dissengages in good time I think it's really worn out now.

I bought the clutch and release bearing from alternative autos and it is stamped with the fiat part number and it seems to be oem part.
(Post Link) post #15 of 25 Old 13-12-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterio View Post
hotwheels, I suggest you leave your car in the hands of Dave (theredx), and I'm not the only one who does this.
hi mysterio,

thanks for your suggestion. it's good to hear that there is a mechanic that other alfa owners trust their proud and joy.
(Post Link) post #16 of 25 Old 13-12-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Hi guys,

thanks everybody for your comments.

i've had enough of been overpassed by cars with less power after having spent around 6k in parts the last 4 years on top of 8k i bought her. It's my first car and I really love it.

I think the engine works fine and produces enough horsepower but my problem is the transmission of the power to the wheels. I think I'm lossing a lot of hp there.

Rgds

George
AO Silver Member

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

Have you put it on a rolling road? There is a good chap in Kildare did mine but in January as part of our AlfaOwner Christmas party we might be doing a rolling road session and getting a good rate because there will be a good lads doing it. Just look up the Christmas Party post and you will see details. The rolling road will show where your loss of power is.
(Post Link) post #18 of 25 Old 13-12-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa155 TS View Post
Have you put it on a rolling road? There is a good chap in Kildare did mine but in January as part of our AlfaOwner Christmas party we might be doing a rolling road session and getting a good rate because there will be a good lads doing it. Just look up the Christmas Party post and you will see details. The rolling road will show where your loss of power is.

Hi 155,

No haven't dynoed it yet. I think I will be surprised with the hp figure it might pull. From what I can feel, compared to other cars I have driven it feels like it has around 100. It should have 170 with the mods i have done to it.

I will have a look at the thread.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

I reckon as Dave (theredx19) mentioned above it will need a diagnostic done so pm him and he will look after you
Damien_C

What have you done to it? I know my car gained 5whp just from a cat back exhaust.

AO Member

Member car:

156 GTA & 155ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_C View Post
Jaysu Rory where did ya get that done? And you should come to a meet sometime.
Got timing belt, water pump, rebuilt clutch, new lower arms, properly fitted Q2, braided hoses, new oil cooler pipes, new lambda on the rear bank and a couple of other jobs done over at autolusso's. Engine had to get dropped out. Drives like a new car now. Would love to get to one of the meets but young kids etc etc. Will happen in 2010. Recently got an Alfa 33 with timing belt gone as a winter project....
Sorry for highjacking the thread guys
AO Silver Member

could you pls elaborate on these?
braided hoses, new oil cooler pipes
are these the same as in the 166? why did you change them?
AO Member

Member car:

156 GTA & 155ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by klapanciusz View Post
could you pls elaborate on these?
braided hoses, new oil cooler pipes
are these the same as in the 166? why did you change them?
Braided hoses on the brakes. I had the brakes upgraded to the 330mm due to warping on the 305mm during the year and if I ever tracked her then the weak point would be the hoses going to the calipers. Has firmed up the feedback from the brakes considerably. The oil cooler pipes had to get changed as there was a leak from where one of the pipes connect to the engine block and it is a big job to get at. The 3.0 in the 166 is essentially the same engine and has an oil cooler(I could stand corrected). The pipes are prone to springing leaks after a number of years. The cost of the pipes was not cheap. Other than a small electrical problem that I need to spend some time on and a big wash she is going perfectly.

I really do apologise for high jacking the thread. How about we start another thread on the 5 minutes of pure happiness every year when your Alfa has nothing wrong with it and you're at the midpoint where you're forgotten the pain of the last bill and have not started anticipating the pain of the next....
AO Gold Member

County: Kildare

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidius View Post
Braided hoses on the brakes. I had the brakes upgraded to the 330mm due to warping on the 305mm during the year and if I ever tracked her then the weak point would be the hoses going to the calipers. Has firmed up the feedback from the brakes considerably. The oil cooler pipes had to get changed as there was a leak from where one of the pipes connect to the engine block and it is a big job to get at. The 3.0 in the 166 is essentially the same engine and has an oil cooler(I could stand corrected). The pipes are prone to springing leaks after a number of years. The cost of the pipes was not cheap. Other than a small electrical problem that I need to spend some time on and a big wash she is going perfectly.

I really do apologise for high jacking the thread. How about we start another thread on the 5 minutes of pure happiness every year when your Alfa has nothing wrong with it and you're at the midpoint where you're forgotten the pain of the last bill and have not started anticipating the pain of the next....
That thread would never end I fear!
AO Silver Member

thanks. I'll get these checked at the next service, before I drive home in April

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
clutch , loss , power , selespeed , worn

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page