Just joined member of *that* Alfa club - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 26 Old 09-11-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

159 3.2

Just joined member of *that* Alfa club

Soooo, driving home from work this evening after a 10 hour day, dark, pouring rain and then... nothing... car switches off while driving, steering goes stiff and I just about make it over the side of road. Hit the ignition - turns over, but nothing from the engine. Turn everything off, wait a bit and try it again. And again. And again. Pop bonnet, get out (no coat, don't need one of them as I'll be nice and dry and warm in my car...), can see bugger all in the dark, but nothing seems to be out of place. Anyway, to cut a long story short and about 90 mins of time, get the car picked up by a recovery truck and brought home. He didn't seem to have any interest in trying to fix anything and to be honest all I wanted to do was get home at that stage. He listened to it turn over and seemed to think it sounded fine and was probably something electronic that had gone. The only error light that seemed to come on was the amber one related to ignition (which comes on anyway until the engine starts I think) and the oil and water dials didn't move when put the key in (the red screen said oil was ok though). The fuel dial did move (so no, I didn't run out of petrol!).

I've never had a car I couldn't limp to a garage before, so what's my best bet now - do I need to get another truck to bring it in to somewhere like Alasta (where I get it serviced) or do they (or anyone Alfa friendly) come out to houses? Such a pain in the butt.

And there was me telling my brother in law just 2 weeks ago to buy a GT he's seen - sure I'd never had a spot of bother in 2 years...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Kildare

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim159 View Post
Soooo, driving home from work this evening after a 10 hour day, dark, pouring rain and then... nothing... car switches off while driving, steering goes stiff and I just about make it over the side of road. Hit the ignition - turns over, but nothing from the engine. Turn everything off, wait a bit and try it again. And again. And again. Pop bonnet, get out (no coat, don't need one of them as I'll be nice and dry and warm in my car...), can see bugger all in the dark, but nothing seems to be out of place. Anyway, to cut a long story short and about 90 mins of time, get the car picked up by a recovery truck and brought home. He didn't seem to have any interest in trying to fix anything and to be honest all I wanted to do was get home at that stage. He listened to it turn over and seemed to think it sounded fine and was probably something electronic that had gone. The only error light that seemed to come on was the amber one related to ignition (which comes on anyway until the engine starts I think) and the oil and water dials didn't move when put the key in (the red screen said oil was ok though). The fuel dial did move (so no, I didn't run out of petrol!).

I've never had a car I couldn't limp to a garage before, so what's my best bet now - do I need to get another truck to bring it in to somewhere like Alasta (where I get it serviced) or do they (or anyone Alfa friendly) come out to houses? Such a pain in the butt.

And there was me telling my brother in law just 2 weeks ago to buy a GT he's seen - sure I'd never had a spot of bother in 2 years...
Sorry to hear that Tim I hope you get it sorted soon.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

The only thing I would have tried their Tim was to disconnect the battery for a minute or two then reconnect it so it resets the ecu. If that didnt work I'd ring the redx19........
(Post Link) post #4 of 26 Old 10-11-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

159 3.2

Alasta have come round to the house and picked it up. Will let you know what the story is in due course. In fairness to Alfa dealers they couldn't have been more helpful about it (this is before I see the invoice, lol).

County: Cork
Garage
I hope you get it sorted & are back on the road soon Tim
(Post Link) post #6 of 26 Old 10-11-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

159 3.2

Bad news... they can't work out what it is.... So gonna start a manual work over and no car till at least Thurs
mo4
AO Member

County: -
Bad luck Tim, hope you're back motoring for Friday...
AO Silver Member

County: Down

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

And good luck from Belfast....keep us informed...how old is the car ?

Garage
Quote:
Bad news... they can't work out what it is.... So gonna start a manual work over and no car till at least Thurs
I hope the warranty covers it
AO Member

Member car:

Renault Sport

Hope they get it sorted tomorrow Tim (worrying that such a problem occurrd to such a new car). Diagnostic stuff can be fiddly but it should result in a solution.

Hope to see you Friday.
(Post Link) post #11 of 26 Old 11-11-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

159 3.2

No news yet... Don't think have any warranty for an Irish garage as was bought in UK - need to check tho. Horrible feeling it's gonna be expensive

Garage
Hopefully it's nothing major
AO Silver Member

County: Wicklow
If you have 3 years warranty, that's by the manufacturer, not by the dealer, imho. Good luck!
AO Member

County: Galway
yep, the warranty should be europe wide

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by klapanciusz View Post
If you have 3 years warranty, that's by the manufacturer, not by the dealer, imho. Good luck!
It would have a 3 year warranty ( First 2yrs manufactures warranty, third year dealer warranty ( which doesn't cover as much/many components as the first 2 yrs )
Alfa may however have increased this to a full manufactures 3 yr warranty in 2008 as a promotion.

Whether the 3rd year cover is transferable from the UK to here is another question though

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlaffey View Post
yep, the warranty should be europe wide
Yes for the first 2 years warranty, not sure about the 3rd year though, hopefully
(Post Link) post #16 of 26 Old 12-11-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

159 3.2

OK - they've just found the problem, but don't have the part (in the country?!) to fix it. Apparently a coil has blown - the first they've ever seen - in fairness to Alasta, he is going to ask a trusted customer can he swipe one from his car to lend to me for the day so I can get to Mondello tomorrow. If that doesn't work out, does anyone know anyone who might help if I did a mad dash to pick one up and bring it to Alasta first thing tomorrow morning - no idea if it has to be a 159 part if it's common across 156s etc. Aggghhhh!

Garage
Quote:
no idea if it has to be a 159 part if it's common across 156s etc. Aggghhhh!
Ask in the 159 Tech Lounge to see if anyone knows https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...nd-946-spider/
kmacb

Why not simply ask Alasta ? They have the car, and the info. Seems silly to go on a forum to ask the question.
Anyway, a 159 V6 coil is unique to that particular engine, which is also fitted to the Brera and Spyder. The engine is a Holden V6, and not an Alfa unit.

Damien_C

Theredx19 is your man or Gerry at ti autos

(Post Link) post #20 of 26 Old 13-11-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

159 3.2

Yeah - I asked Stanley this morning - it has to come from a 3.2 engine - either 159 or Brera. So no joy today - part from UK should arrive Monday. €180, so looking at €400+ all in On top of the €180 for the trackday gone to waste (or hopefully to charity). Be nights in for rest of month...
AO Member

Member car:

GT Monza 1.9JTDm

how old is your car Tim? I thought it was a 07? Was it just out of warranty?

If so, that is $hit timing. And for it to happen on the roadside in the rain & dark after a long day, your luck just ran out.

Hows the car running now since you got it back?

Just out of curiosity, is there just one coil on your engine? If there is more than one, is there a chance you might have the same problem very soon?

My missus old Punto failed a coil once....got it replaced and not long after the 2nd one failed.

Current Car: '09 Subaru Legacy Tourer

Previous Cars:
'00 156 1.8TS Sport Pack 3 in Proteo Red
'07 GT 1.9JTDm Monza in Silver
(Post Link) post #22 of 26 Old 18-11-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

159 3.2

Ahh don't be putting the hee bees on it 3.2 has 6 coils I now know. Just got it back yesterday and running OK - the full 12 miles in and out of work that is... Rubbish luck re timing - 6 months out of the manufacturer 2 yr guarantee and can't claim on the UK 3 year dealer guarantee as not appliable in Ireland
Felt good to be back in the saddle tho
Damien_C

Ahh glad it's sorted but murphys law something will always go wrong when they are out of warrunty.

AO Silver Member

Member car:

BMW E92 320D

If you were a ford focus owner you would know all about coil packs going. They are consumables for them.
Damien_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa_Daryl View Post
If you were a ford focus owner you would know all about coil packs going. They are consumables for them.
Lmao so true and their mental money from em too.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
alfa , club , joined , member

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page