"grind/vibration" in 1st and 2nd gear ('77 spider) - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 11 Old 20-10-09 Thread Starter

County: Cork

Member car:

various

"grind/vibration" in 1st and 2nd gear ('77 spider)

Hello, Have a '77 spider (2000) and it's developed a "grind/vibration" in 1st and 2nd gear, it seems to be coming from the rear of the car. The noise can almost be avoided if I'm very gentle with clutch and revs. I have topped up the oil in the diff (no joy) perhaps it's the oil level in the gearbox? how and where do I access this ? Car is otherwise running fine. Thanks in advance. Anyone recommend classic alfa servicing in Cork/Munster ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zv91395.jpg (100.4 KB, 4 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Kildare

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider_cork View Post
Hello, Have a '77 spider (2000) and it's developed a "grind/vibration" in 1st and 2nd gear, it seems to be coming from the rear of the car. The noise can almost be avoided if I'm very gentle with clutch and revs. I have topped up the oil in the diff (no joy) perhaps it's the oil level in the gearbox? how and where do I access this ? Car is otherwise running fine. Thanks in advance. Anyone recommend classic alfa servicing in Cork/Munster ?
Thats a very nice spider you have there have you had any calls about it yet?

I recognised the pic...

Alfa Romeo Spider Kamm-Tail - €8,250 - Used Cars on Carzone.ie - New & Used Cars in Ireland
Damien_C

All I can say is what a great looking car.

(Post Link) post #4 of 11 Old 21-10-09 Thread Starter

Member car:

various

Loads of interest alright, loosing storage facility in Jan so my pride and joy has to go, I will however get a '80s or '70s GTV. I am finding problems lately with the willingness of Garages/Mechanics to take on classic car servicing and/or repair. I thought the recession would have the opposite effect?
Damien_C

Pm Theredx19 here he will sort ya out.

AO Member

Its common enough for 2nd gear to grind a bit when changing if the rev are high.
Vibration is another thing though, has the propshaft mount ever been changed ?? You'll feel vibrations from the tunnel when this mount/bearing is worn.

The gearbox fill is half way up on the gearbox body, 17mm bolt I think. Its not too difficult to top up the oil from underneath if you're using one of those 1 litre bottle with the built in spout - otherwise right pain in the ***.

You should have a LSD so you should be using a specific diff oil or it. Chances are the plates are knackered anyway given the age of it.

I've a '71 2000 GTV I could be persuaded to sell
AO Gold Member

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffy View Post
Its common enough for 2nd gear to grind a bit when changing if the rev are high.
Vibration is another thing though, has the propshaft mount ever been changed ?? You'll feel vibrations from the tunnel when this mount/bearing is worn.

The gearbox fill is half way up on the gearbox body, 17mm bolt I think. Its not too difficult to top up the oil from underneath if you're using one of those 1 litre bottle with the built in spout - otherwise right pain in the ***.

You should have a LSD so you should be using a specific diff oil or it. Chances are the plates are knackered anyway given the age of it.

Nice selection of cars you have there any pics of the old ones?
AO Member

Can't post embedded images for some reason...

GTV6

GTV6 - undergoing a rebuild

2000 GTV
AO Gold Member

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Quote:
Can't post embedded images for some reason...

GTV6

GTV6 - undergoing a rebuild

2000 GTV
Those are some absolute beauties, I want my next car to be a classic and most likely a GTJ.

Any chance you could pop along to any of the meets we have, it would be great to see a few more oldies?
(Post Link) post #10 of 11 Old 22-10-09 Thread Starter

Member car:

various

Quote:

Great !! Going to tackle it this weekend, '71 GTV.... could be tempted !! PM... interested in the spider ?
AO Silver Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

Quote:

great selection of well looked after classics there. Fair Play. Get them down to the Spawell this Monday

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
1st , 2nd , gear , grind or vibration , spider

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page