"grind/vibration" in 1st and 2nd gear ('77 spider) - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

 
Thread Tools
(Post Link) post #1 of 11 Old 20-10-09 Thread Starter
Status: -
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ireland
County: Cork
Posts: 6

Member car:

various

"grind/vibration" in 1st and 2nd gear ('77 spider)

Hello, Have a '77 spider (2000) and it's developed a "grind/vibration" in 1st and 2nd gear, it seems to be coming from the rear of the car. The noise can almost be avoided if I'm very gentle with clutch and revs. I have topped up the oil in the diff (no joy) perhaps it's the oil level in the gearbox? how and where do I access this ? Car is otherwise running fine. Thanks in advance. Anyone recommend classic alfa servicing in Cork/Munster ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zv91395.jpg (100.4 KB, 4 views)
spider_cork is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Status: Smells of Eue De Autoglym
AO Gold Member
 
GTV Gav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ireland
County: Kildare
Posts: 6,738

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider_cork View Post
Hello, Have a '77 spider (2000) and it's developed a "grind/vibration" in 1st and 2nd gear, it seems to be coming from the rear of the car. The noise can almost be avoided if I'm very gentle with clutch and revs. I have topped up the oil in the diff (no joy) perhaps it's the oil level in the gearbox? how and where do I access this ? Car is otherwise running fine. Thanks in advance. Anyone recommend classic alfa servicing in Cork/Munster ?
Thats a very nice spider you have there have you had any calls about it yet?

I recognised the pic...

Alfa Romeo Spider Kamm-Tail - €8,250 - Used Cars on Carzone.ie - New & Used Cars in Ireland
GTV Gav is offline  
Damien_C
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
All I can say is what a great looking car.
 
(Post Link) post #4 of 11 Old 21-10-09 Thread Starter
Status: -
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ireland
County: Cork
Posts: 6

Member car:

various

Loads of interest alright, loosing storage facility in Jan so my pride and joy has to go, I will however get a '80s or '70s GTV. I am finding problems lately with the willingness of Garages/Mechanics to take on classic car servicing and/or repair. I thought the recession would have the opposite effect?
spider_cork is offline  
Damien_C
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Pm Theredx19 here he will sort ya out.
 
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Navan, Ireland
Posts: 116
Its common enough for 2nd gear to grind a bit when changing if the rev are high.
Vibration is another thing though, has the propshaft mount ever been changed ?? You'll feel vibrations from the tunnel when this mount/bearing is worn.

The gearbox fill is half way up on the gearbox body, 17mm bolt I think. Its not too difficult to top up the oil from underneath if you're using one of those 1 litre bottle with the built in spout - otherwise right pain in the ***.

You should have a LSD so you should be using a specific diff oil or it. Chances are the plates are knackered anyway given the age of it.

I've a '71 2000 GTV I could be persuaded to sell
fluffy is offline  
Status: Smells of Eue De Autoglym
AO Gold Member
 
GTV Gav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ireland
County: Kildare
Posts: 6,738

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffy View Post
Its common enough for 2nd gear to grind a bit when changing if the rev are high.
Vibration is another thing though, has the propshaft mount ever been changed ?? You'll feel vibrations from the tunnel when this mount/bearing is worn.

The gearbox fill is half way up on the gearbox body, 17mm bolt I think. Its not too difficult to top up the oil from underneath if you're using one of those 1 litre bottle with the built in spout - otherwise right pain in the ***.

You should have a LSD so you should be using a specific diff oil or it. Chances are the plates are knackered anyway given the age of it.

I've a '71 2000 GTV I could be persuaded to sell
Nice selection of cars you have there any pics of the old ones?
GTV Gav is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Navan, Ireland
Posts: 116
Can't post embedded images for some reason...

GTV6

GTV6 - undergoing a rebuild

2000 GTV
fluffy is offline  
Status: Smells of Eue De Autoglym
AO Gold Member
 
GTV Gav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ireland
County: Kildare
Posts: 6,738

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffy View Post
Can't post embedded images for some reason...

GTV6

GTV6 - undergoing a rebuild

2000 GTV
Those are some absolute beauties, I want my next car to be a classic and most likely a GTJ.

Any chance you could pop along to any of the meets we have, it would be great to see a few more oldies?
GTV Gav is offline  
(Post Link) post #10 of 11 Old 22-10-09 Thread Starter
Status: -
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ireland
County: Cork
Posts: 6

Member car:

various

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffy View Post
Its common enough for 2nd gear to grind a bit when changing if the rev are high.
Vibration is another thing though, has the propshaft mount ever been changed ?? You'll feel vibrations from the tunnel when this mount/bearing is worn.

The gearbox fill is half way up on the gearbox body, 17mm bolt I think. Its not too difficult to top up the oil from underneath if you're using one of those 1 litre bottle with the built in spout - otherwise right pain in the ***.

You should have a LSD so you should be using a specific diff oil or it. Chances are the plates are knackered anyway given the age of it.

I've a '71 2000 GTV I could be persuaded to sell
Great !! Going to tackle it this weekend, '71 GTV.... could be tempted !! PM... interested in the spider ?
spider_cork is offline  
Status: Giggity Giggity...... Giggitygoo
AO Silver Member
 
Alfa155 TS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Ireland
County: Dublin
Posts: 3,230

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffy View Post
Its common enough for 2nd gear to grind a bit when changing if the rev are high.
Vibration is another thing though, has the propshaft mount ever been changed ?? You'll feel vibrations from the tunnel when this mount/bearing is worn.

The gearbox fill is half way up on the gearbox body, 17mm bolt I think. Its not too difficult to top up the oil from underneath if you're using one of those 1 litre bottle with the built in spout - otherwise right pain in the ***.

You should have a LSD so you should be using a specific diff oil or it. Chances are the plates are knackered anyway given the age of it.

I've a '71 2000 GTV I could be persuaded to sell
great selection of well looked after classics there. Fair Play. Get them down to the Spawell this Monday
Alfa155 TS is offline  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
1st , 2nd , gear , grind or vibration , spider

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
156 Selespeed, misses 2nd gear jumps from 1st to 3rd cap_p Alfa 147, 156 & GT 35 04-02-19 15:19
vibration in 1st & 2nd ('77 spider) spider_cork The Classic Alfa Romeos 3 22-10-09 20:38
selespeed 1st & 2nd gear alfamick Alfa 147, 156 & GT 1 05-11-08 10:30

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome