gearbox/differential oil change - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 22 Old 13-09-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

gearbox/differential oil change

Hi Lads,

Was under the bonnet yesterday just sussing out going about the oil change and although the owners manual clearly shows how to change the gearbox oil the filler inlet and drain outlet are both mounted vertically which doesn't really make sense, as opposed to the the engine oil sump outlet which is horizontal so the stuff falls out. The prblem then is actually trying to pour the oil in probably needs some sort of funnel to do it and then to drain out the stuff it seems it would run down the side of the box so that confuses where to put the drainage bowl
Am I making sense? ay thoughts on this because I want to be sure what I'm doing before starting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Damien_C

The drain plug on my box. Is at the back of the box. So put the drain can there. YOu should be able to fill it up handy enough as the oil cans normally come with a small long tube on them to aid you in the refilling of the box. It's a 8 or 9 alan key off the top of my head could be wrong. Manky smelling stuff though.

(Post Link) post #3 of 22 Old 13-09-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

well the 155 is about a 15 or 20mm alankey, its a very big nut, I removed the filer one yesterday and ran my finger in, it says the oil shuld come the the lower rim but there is none there so I think its quite low. The drain plug faces the front left wheel and there is a tiny gap between it and the frame so its going to be fun gettin a key in there
Damien_C

Ya you'll need to jack it up to get at the rear one. Or just a socket alan key which does make it much handier. And you will need a nice swing at them too they get very hard and sticky to get off easily if they haven't been done for along time. I know myself swearing and pushing fierce hard on mine.

Mario Andretti

It is a 12mm allen key but it is very tight nearly easier to see if Gerry will do it..

Damien_C

Hey I wasn't far off With me 9 I knew it was big but not too big hahaha

(Post Link) post #7 of 22 Old 14-09-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

I dont think what you suggested will work Damien as its different from the 146, it looks like the wishbone or something like that is in the way so you cant fit anything but an alan key into what is quite a small gap.

Dave, I would bring t to Gerry only I've promised myself no more trips to Gerry this year, costing me a fortune. Besides its time to start relying on myself for repairs/servicing. After all I'm an Alfa owner ;-)

Last edited by Alfa155 TS; 14-09-09 at 12:34.
Mario Andretti

That is serious when you start servicing your own car but if you get a long 12 mm allan key and trim the short end you can get in at it..

Damien_C

I know ya can get a socket one in their I've done it as Dave says it's a bit tight but you'll manage it. The 146 and 155 are basically the same underneath.

(Post Link) post #10 of 22 Old 17-09-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

hhmmm ok I'll try, wanted to have it done for Clonmel but we'll see.
Damien_C

If ya don't have it done I know Dave loves gearbox oil

(Post Link) post #12 of 22 Old 18-09-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

Damien if you can bring along the socket you used on Sunday maybe I can get under and have just a quick go, just so I know how to get it in. I have two litres of Valvoline looking at me everytime I open the boot, and y gears are getting crunchier I think
Damien_C

I don't have the tool I used my uncles workshop and he had em there. I can try and rob it but I doub I have time to rob them lol.

(Post Link) post #14 of 22 Old 03-10-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

Right this is annoying me, still havn't changed the oil. Had a 12mm ratchet alan key which fits into filler and drain nuts fine. But due to restricted space cant fit the ratchet onto the key when its in the drainage nut so went out and bought a 12mm alan key and cut an inch off it using an angle grinder so I could fit it into the drain plug gap but hold on, it doesn't fit into the nut!!! Fits into the filler nut fine but not the drain nut??? so am off to buy an 11mm alan key now. So why does it fit into one and not the other?

Dont bend the rules, Rule the bends
Damien_C

Lol, because Alfa are murder for having different sized parts for no apparent reason.

Mario Andretti

It is a 12mm dont use an 11mm as the bung is probably full of dirt or road tar...

Member car:

alfa (soon)

I know I'm new here.. but I've learned the hard way on other cars... make sure you can get the filler open before you release the drain.

Other egg suckingtechniques can be shared if you so wish :-)
(Post Link) post #18 of 22 Old 05-10-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

[QUOTE=green-blood;2940965]I know I'm new here.. but I've learned the hard way on other cars... make sure you can get the filler open before you release the drain.
QUOTE]

Because it could be threaded etc. etc. yeh I know. I can get it open no probs.

Dave I stuck a 10mm in there and rubbed it around to get any dirt out but still not fitting. I'll let you know how I get on when I try the 11mm. Will be this Sat at the earliest.
(Post Link) post #19 of 22 Old 17-10-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

Right lads went back to McQuillans today (wjere I got the 12mm key) and they dont do 11mm keys, so I tried the other 3 tool shops on the same street and none of them do 11mm alan keys. Is there an AR manufacturers or 3rd party toolkit that you can buy? specifically is there one for the 155
AO Gold Member

County: Kildare

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa155 TS View Post
Right lads went back to McQuillans today (wjere I got the 12mm key) and they dont do 11mm keys, so I tried the other 3 tool shops on the same street and none of them do 11mm alan keys. Is there an AR manufacturers or 3rd party toolkit that you can buy? specifically is there one for the 155
Maybe try asking on the 155 forum.
AO Member

County: Hampshire
7/16 th is the nearest you will get to 11 mm i think not to bee rude but where you chopped the allen key down have you made all the edges nice and smooth as somtimes you get a rough bit when you cut it off

Andy
AO Silver Member

County: Wicklow

Last edited by klapanciusz; 24-10-09 at 17:45. Reason: sorry, wrong topic...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
change , gearbox or differential , oil

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page