Where to sell the Alfa? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 47 Old 02-09-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Wicklow
Where to sell the Alfa?

It seems nobody wants Alfas these days! Had my 3.0 GTV for sale for a good while now and have only had a few silly calls about it. Have dropped the price from 6k to 3750 too, and still nothing!

So where's the best place to sell it? I've tried carzone.ie adverts.ie autotrader.ie and pistonheads.co.uk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

Brera 2.0 JTDm

gumtree.ie or donedeal.ie
(Post Link) post #3 of 47 Old 02-09-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Tried them too... kinda sad that our road tax is so high... puts off so many people!
AO Member

County: West Yorkshire
i am sorry to hear about your trouble in selling your car, that does seem a large drop in price. i know prices differ in ireland compared to the uk. how does it compare to other cars of the same age, spec and mileage?

i find autotrader the best here for selling cars, maybe if i could see your ad then i might be able to help more.

i could mention some suggestions now.

car not clean in photo`s.

not enough photo`s.

photo`s not clear, ie camera phone photo`s.

cat d.

very high mileage.

very bad condition, no service history.

over priced.
(Post Link) post #5 of 47 Old 02-09-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scot360 View Post
how does it compare to other cars of the same age, spec and mileage?
The only 3.0 for sale in Ireland at the moment, has been for months!
Quote:
car not clean in photo`s.
Spotless
Quote:
not enough photo`s.
9 of them
Quote:
photo`s not clear, ie camera phone photo`s.
very clear
Quote:
cat d.
nope
Quote:
very high mileage.
Quote:
very bad condition, no service history.
good condition and FSH
Quote:
over priced.
cheap as chips

ad: Alfa Romeo GTV 3.0 V6 24v - €3,750 - Used Cars on Carzone.ie - New & Used Cars in Ireland
AO Silver Member

My friend was interested (first car) until he found out that the only insurance company would take him on asked for 6000+ euros.
(Post Link) post #7 of 47 Old 02-09-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

6k.... that's mental!
AO Member

Member car:

GT Monza 1.9JTDm

one other one here Used Alfa Romeo GTV 3.0 V6 24V 3.0L for sale from Dublin - CBG.ie
more expensive but slightly less mileage
(Post Link) post #9 of 47 Old 03-09-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee-O View Post
one other one here Used Alfa Romeo GTV 3.0 V6 24V 3.0L for sale from Dublin - CBG.ie
more expensive but slightly less mileage
I know the car
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2285/...5d871d43_b.jpg

mine's nice.... ain't that right Larry! :P
AO Member

County: Greater London
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0V6 View Post
It seems nobody wants Alfas these days! Had my 3.0 GTV for sale for a good while now and have only had a few silly calls about it. Have dropped the price from 6k to 3750 too, and still nothing!

So where's the best place to sell it? I've tried carzone.ie adverts.ie autotrader.ie and pistonheads.co.uk
dont go on gumtree.....90% scammers, trust me I have tried it.
AO Member

Member car:

Renault Sport

meh!..... black is soo 1999 ..
Your car is in great condition Steve. I'll give you that. A steal at €3.7k.
Can't believe you have had no luck at that price.
(car tax is undervaluing cars in this country.)

I have just taxed mine again for another 3 months...ouch. I will be dropping my price but not until I see yours moving (Autotrader looking for €150 quids for 3 mags...yeah right!!?!)

Wouldn't mind but I have had no probems with it all year and am driving it regularly. It is mad, once I put it up for sale all the gremlins went away.

My current plan is to take it off the road in November for the winter (stored in a garage) and bring it out for some summer european driving next year. Comfortable on the long European motorways (6th gear) and also fun on the Alpine twisties (2nd/3rd gear) with a soundtrack to boot.

If I get a reasonable offer for the car, then great, the car loan (Rover Mini Cooper ) is cleared.
I won't sell it for peanuts as it is only running costs I endure. They stop if it is off the road, so no panic to sell at the moment.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

I had the same problem trying to sell my Astra, and no it wasn't because its an Astra. But nothing in general is shifting. My Astra took probably close to a year to sell. And I was regularly looking at alfa and other cars on Carzone and the same ones were there for ages so its just the market at the moment. I think its well worse than the housing market
AO Gold Member

County: Brokopondo
If you want to sell the car!.....................

....Lower the price! £3200 for a V6 with 100K + miles i would say that if you really want a sale you should be looking to price the car begining with a '2'!!!!

Its a buyers market!
AO Member

County: Galway
That would be an accuate price in the UK but you need to remember we have to pay VRT (Vehicle Registration Tax) on our cars here.......for this car it would be 36% of the open market selling price.....so with that in mind the car is priced very competitively.

Cars in Ireland as a result of VRT are probably on average 20-25% more expensive than the UK.
AO Member

Member car:

Renault Sport

Take the car off the road and park/garage it up for a few years.
(It will still be a sub 7sec 0-60mph good looking sports car in years to come)

Sell it for peanuts only if you are really desperate i.e. they will brake your legs if you don’t pay up. Console yourself by thinking of the car tax you don't have to pay.

It is a buyer market for cars that were €30k and are now in the lower 20ies (Brera is heading that way). 11yr old 3.0ltr cars less than €5k I’m not so sure.
MarksGotDubs

I'm sure there are people out there who would love the car but can't stretch for the extortionate tax and insurance in this country! I know I'd have it if I could but like klapanciusz's friend the insurance companies won't talk to me, nevermind affording tax

AO Member

Member car:

Renault Sport

Surly someone will talk to you.

Many of the popular companies wouldn't insure me (Even those I had been with before) on the Alfa as it is Group 6 (some nonsense about performance cars). Given that I'm 30+ with 9 years NCB I just rolled my eyes.

I went with a broker this year (Jardine Llyod Thompson) as the high street crowd simply would not insure both cars (Alfa and Mini) on the one policy (for non-Vaseline style charges).
'Travellers' tend to underwrite a lot of the performace car policies but I don't think you can go to them directly, hence the broker.

But yeah, the tax is such a killer.
But you could have a €20k car loan and drive a 318i or have a €7k car loan and have a GTV 3.0 V6, taxed and insured
AO Member

Member car:

Renault Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0V6 View Post

Hi Steve,
Have you done the obvious technique; putting a For Sale sheet in the window of the car.
Park it in a few busy spots then.
AO Member

Member car:

GTV 3.0 V6

3.0V6, I would keep it if you can afford to, or else advertise it in the UK and be prepared to take even less than you are currently asking.

I have been deliberating over putting mine on Irish plates as I am back home in Dublin contracting and have been popping back and forth from the UK a lot. What's stopped me is VRT - approx 1,300 Euro, Road Tax just under 1,300 Euro and frankly ridiculous insurance quotes. I simply can't justify spending more than I've already paid for the car just to drive around Ireland. So, I will probably end up selling in the UK and buying something with a smaller engine if I relocate permanently.

It's sad that the Irish government choses to reduce the standard of living of it's citzens by taxing the life out car ownership. Ireland is the cheapest country in Europe to land a car, but by the time the government has taken it's share, it's the 2nd most expensive place to actually buy the same car in the EU. Add the compo-culture into the insurance mix and it's no wonder why it's so hard to be a motoring enthusiast in Ireland. And don't get me started on road tax, it's certainly not being used for the road maintenance (mind you the new Dublin-Galway road is great!).

Rant over, anyone want to buy my 1998 V6, 78K miles, FSH, etc, etc? I'm off to look at 205 GTi 1.9's for romping around Wicklow (and 'The Ring')
AO Member

Member car:

GT Monza 1.9JTDm

I'd be inclined to think the same...if I could afford to keep it I would. If I had a place to store one of these I would be looking at you boys cars right now. I wouldn't be able to drive one of these all year round as I need something more practical, but as a summer bit of fun, it would be ideal. I'd just tax it then for the summer months.

Ideally I'd want to keep it garaged, but I don't have one.
(Post Link) post #21 of 47 Old 04-09-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Months ago when I had it priced close to 6k I was offered 3.5 and I said no way. Recently I was offer 2700 and said no again. For that price I'd rather hold on to it for a few years until they're really rare and the value comes up a bit.

I don't need to sell the car, but I'm changing soon and it would be a pain having 3 cars in the garden again... I'm just hoping that motor tax gets taken out in the next budget and put on the pump, then I'd keep it for sure!
AO Silver Member

County: Cork

Member car:

BMW E92 320D

Motor tax is only heading one way unfortunatley and thats what puts off just about everyone. It is ridiculous that you might drive the car 6k and have to pay more than a diesel doing 30k in a year.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

Alfa_Daryl is right. It is only heading one way. Its just so convenient for them, just like drink and smokes. And if anybody tries to argue against it they will just roll out the whole Global warming/environment Bul%@*te excuse. They have now even gone as far as to set the rates based on CO2 levels. Nothing over 2.0 litres has a chance. Think of the money they are making, its just like the toll bridges.
AO Gold Member

County: Brokopondo
It would appear the 'Celtic Tiger' is bankrupt!
AO Silver Member

County: Cork

Member car:

BMW E92 320D

At least with Toll Bridges, the roads they are on are worthy of getting some money back. The amount of National (primary and secondary) roads getting really bad is increasing. I'd love a GTV V6, but couldnt afford to have two cars, might enquire out of curiousity what insuarnce is for a 25 yr old.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
alfa , sell

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page